Table saw insert

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think we may have been on ships sailing in different directions. I was wonder what the bow was on the insert without it being mounted. In that case I think the number will be a lot larger then you posted.

When mounted the screws are not tightened to take all the bow out. You adjust the front screw so the front of the insert is flush with the table like right on to maybe just below the surface by a hair or half a hair. Just make sure it is level with or below the main table or the wood might catch.

I sure hope they don't kick me out of here for this but since this is educational I think they will not mind me posting this out of the instructions:

[ATTACH]2596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2597[/ATTACH]

Ed

[quote="dusty"]I installed 3 of my metal Shopsmith inserts and using a feeler gauge found that all three are slightly below the plane of the main table. It really did not seem that it mattered whether I snugged the rear screw first or not.

The inserts set from .007" to .008" below the plane of the main table top.

Now, in my world where accuracy to within 1/32" is normally considered over kill, I would call this perfect. However, of late, I recognize that this deviation could be considered excessive.

Recent alignments of my Mark V are regularly being done to much tighter tolerances than I ever employed before. Rick (TA) and this forum can take credit for that. Oh, yes, Shopsmith has a part in this as well.

whitey]
Attachments
inst 1.jpg
inst 1.jpg (116.89 KiB) Viewed 6710 times
inst 2.jpg
inst 2.jpg (143.11 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Tomorrow I'll try to get a measurement on the amount of bow that exists in a totally unstressed insert. However, I won't be surprised to find that my inserts are not as bowed as they once were.

I remember back when, long before this forum, that my inserts were bowed in accordance with your description earlier in this thread. It seems to me that is no longer the case, at least for the two standard table saw inserts that I have. The shaper insert still has a pretty good bow if my recollection is any good.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Thanks for the images (and making me hungry) Ed.
My Mark V came with some custom made blanks from the previous owner but the switch to the 520 upgrade made the demand for their use plummet.

Those UHMW inserts are sweet. In a few weeks I should have the capability to route the edges to a perfect thickness or i could take your other idea and use some hardwood. I'm lucky to have some great wood outlets close to me. (Well, except for the price.) :eek:
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

OKAY, all of you who said that the inserts were bowed. Get 50 lashes. The term is "coined", so the next time Nick is here, he'll be busy lashing. :D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have heard the term coined used by shopsmith but this I personally think that is not correct. At least it does not fit anything I've learned along the way. If anyone can find proof that the term is correct I'd like to read about it... I'm not expecting to get to old to learn in the next few months so the window of opportunity is still open.

Ed
beeg wrote:OKAY, all of you who said that the inserts were bowed. Get 50 lashes. The term is "coined", so the next time Nick is here, he'll be busy lashing. :D
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:I have heard the term coined used by shopsmith but this I personally think that is not correct. At least it does not fit anything I've learned along the way. If anyone can find proof that the term is correct I'd like to read about it... I'm not expecting to get to old to learn in the next few months so the window of opportunity is still open.

Ed

1coined: A neologism (from Greek neo = "new" + logos = "word") is a word that, devised relatively recently in a specific time period, has not been accepted into a mainstream language. By definition, neologisms are "new", and as such are often directly attributable to a specific individual, publication, period, or event. The term "neologism" was coined in 1803.[1]

In this case that would be Nick.

I know what something looks like if it is bowed. I'm really not sure about "coined".

2coin Function:transitive verb Date:14th century 1 a: to make (a coin) especially by stamping : mint b: to convert (metal) into coins2: create , invent <coin a phrase>
&#8212]Image[/URL] \ˈkȯi-nər\ noun
— coin money : to get rich quickly

Sorry, Nick. I think the inserts are slightly "bowed".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:Tomorrow I'll try to get a measurement on the amount of bow that exists in a totally unstressed insert. However, I won't be surprised to find that my inserts are not as bowed as they once were.

I remember back when, long before this forum, that my inserts were bowed in accordance with your description earlier in this thread. It seems to me that is no longer the case, at least for the two standard table saw inserts that I have. The shaper insert still has a pretty good bow if my recollection is any good.
My memory is fading fast.

I do have four metal inserts; 1) shaper, 2) dado, 3/4 table saw.

Of the four, only one is bowed (coined) any appreciable amount. Three of them are approximately .005". The fourth (a table saw insert) is .024".

When installing the one metal table insert I find that it installed just as reible describes. However, it is not perfectly flush with the main table; about .003" below the plane of the table.

The non metallic inserts are all flat (not coined).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I measured mine and they show a .015 -.018 gap in the center when a straight edge is laid on them length wise.

I did some searches for the word coined and couldn't find anything definitive but I know I have heard the termed used before in the talk around machine shops and garages.

In fact I had a few spring washers that were labeled coined washers but I can't find the box. I think in past attempt to redo my shop the box was a casuality of my zeal to condense everything down to storage bins and etc. :eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I am hearing "coining" in the same fabrication contexts as "forging" and "swaging." I guess they are generally distinguishing these forms from poured "casting" forms. The unpainted 500 inserts look fairly like castings. The 505/510/520 inserts are painted, of course, but perhaps a coined fabrication lets them be "springy" where a normal casting might just deform under screw pressure?
Chris
whitey
Bronze Member

Table saw insert

Post by whitey »

My SS Mark V Model 520 table saw inserts have a very slight bow, about .020 in the center when holding a straight edge end to end. However, when inserted in the table per SS instructions the vast majority of the insert ends up .016 below the table top. My original question was why (did SS build it that way). I know how to fix it making my own inserts out of 3/8" birch plywood.

Fine Woodworking magazine has had several articles recently about the importance of the insert being flush with the table, which seemed to make sense. I was simply wondering if SS had some specific reason for the insert ending up slightly below the table.

Many thanks for all the comments.

Whitey