Table saw insert

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The problem I have with coining is that it does not convey any since that the part is flat or bowed. It is a process and yes the coins in your pocket are "coined" but I think you will find them "flat". Yes you can make a spring by coining but the word coined just doesn't convey anything but a process.

I have no idea why shopsmith decided to make their inserts like this, maybe something to do with tolerances??? Anyway I've never had any problems I could blame the insert on.

BTW if you have the front even and you have spring left then you can loosen the back a bit to get that more level if need be. Just make sure the plate doesn't get loose.

Now you guys are going to make me go get a couple of mine to measure. I sure remember having a bit more air between the ends. Then again maybe maybe it is the air in my head that makes me remember it wrong.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Like some others of you, after reible's post about coining, I did a little research. I could knot find a decent reason why SS uses that term either. But I wood like to throw another use of that word into the works. In my line of work, for homes that have an stucco exterior, I have come across architects that use the term "coin" or "coining" to describe the added trim that sticks out, in a vertical pattern, in various shapes but usually square or rectangle, from the flat surface of the exterior walls, usually at the corners (where they usually want the downspouts mounted). In my research of the word, I could knot find a good reason why the term is used for that purpose either. I can only guess that my research is flawed. :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I guess they must have just "Coined" a word for their own usage. HeHeHe;)
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Tim might the word relate to:
Cornice—The projection or ornamental molding at the top of a wall,
building, arch, etc.

or
Corbel—A projection from a masonry wall, sometimes to support a
load and sometimes for decorative effect.

Ed
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

It very well could be related Ed, but the trim that I am describing are definitely knot cornices or corbels; they are squares laying flat on the wall, running up the corners in sort of an alternating pattern.
Tim

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Tim I have a short list of Architectural Terms and the only ones in the "c" area that had anything to do with what I'm picturing you are saying were these two.

Maybe it too was a coined term... good one curiousgeorge...

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:Tim I have a short list of Architectural Terms and the only ones in the "c" area that had anything to do with what I'm picturing you are saying were these two.

Maybe it too was a coined term... good one curiousgeorge...

Ed
A neologism (from Greek neo = "new" + logos = "word") is a word that, devised relatively recently in a specific time period, has not been accepted into a mainstream language. By definition, neologisms are "new", and as such are often directly attributable to a specific individual, publication, period, or event. The term "neologism" was coined in 1803.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Maybe it is a use that could be described as "poetic license". :)
Tim

curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Dusty,
I see you looked it up on the Wikipedia site. :D
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Well guys,

We have strayed pretty far afield from the original subject of the thread. :o

I think you have now ventured into the word "quoin" which is pronounced "coin". In addition to the architectural corner pieces of a building, it is also used to describe things that wedge or level something such the type letters in printing, or the leveling of a barrel on a cannon.

As far a table inserts go, I guess they can be coined, quoined, or just plain old bent (even the wrong way as I have experienced with one of my inserts).

Dennis