I removed myself from all Shopsmith Facebook Groups

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: I removed myself from all Shopsmith Facebook Groups

Post by dusty »

If you really believe that the youngsters are not using FB you have browsed FB very little. Open up (join) a few of the FB groups and you will find the younger generations very well represented.

Now, having entered this conversation I must admit that my exposure to FB is very controlled. I have membership in five groups (3 Shopsmith and 2 RV related) and that will probably never be more.

I am skeptical about social media in general and that includes the Shopsmith Forum. Just pay attention to the long, never ending list of "new members" who never post about anything.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: ↑Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:22 pm If you really believe that the youngsters are not using FB you have browsed FB very little. Open up (join) a few of the FB groups and you will find the younger generations very well represented.
Dusty,

Did you even read the statistics that I posted??? Only 2% of teens use FB. Now 2% of the 25M teenage population in the US is still 500k teens using FB. So, yes Dusty, you are seeing a "few" teens using FB, but for the rest of teens it is far, far, far from their preferred platform. Obviously those 500,000 teens are clearly old souls since they use FB. :D
πŸ“ΆRF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TSβ„’ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

dusty wrote: ↑Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:22 pm I am skeptical about social media in general and that includes the Shopsmith Forum. Just pay attention to the long, never ending list of "new members" who never post about anything.
12381 members. 5286 have at least ONE post.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And essentially 100% of the spammers post. :>(
╔═══╗
β•ŸJPG β•’
β•šβ•β•β•β•

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote: ↑Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:10 am And essentially 100% of the spammers post. :>(
if YOU MEAN WHAT i THINK YOU MEAN. 99.2% of the spammers have 0 posts.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Correct either way. Before/after.
╔═══╗
β•ŸJPG β•’
β•šβ•β•β•β•

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I understand spanmers are annoying, but they are also easy to spot and ignore. Sometimes, as happened here recently, a legitimate post looks like spam.

OTOH, social media is full of trolls who just want to start arguments, hijack threads, and all of those things on social media that have names i don't know, but that's the issue that concerns me more than spammers. So I've never been on Facebook, don't want to be at all, and my wife scans the for sale pages for me (or says she is, she might not tell me about every deal in my area I'd be tempted to buy).
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Don't join a Facebook group that isn't moderated. Good moderation does not allow topic posts. You get a warning and your post gets deleted. The second offense gets you banned.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: ↑Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:30 pm
dusty wrote: ↑Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:22 pm If you really believe that the youngsters are not using FB you have browsed FB very little. Open up (join) a few of the FB groups and you will find the younger generations very well represented.
Dusty,

Did you even read the statistics that I posted??? Only 2% of teens use FB. Now 2% of the 25M teenage population in the US is still 500k teens using FB. So, yes Dusty, you are seeing a "few" teens using FB, but for the rest of teens it is far, far, far from their preferred platform. Obviously those 500,000 teens are clearly old souls since they use FB. :D
Yeah, I looked at the data but I don't view most of it as applicable for discussion when we are talking about generational users of woodworking equipment. Besides, it is data presented by "social media" for the benefit of "social media". Yes, there are other more popular sites but I don't use any of them.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote: ↑Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:19 am
JPG wrote: ↑Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:10 am And essentially 100% of the spammers post. :>(
if YOU MEAN WHAT i THINK YOU MEAN. 99.2% of the spammers have 0 posts.
The new members who post spam can be dealt with. It is the new member who joins (gains access to the forum) and then seems to disappear into nowhere that concern me. Why are they here and what are they up to? What data are they collecting and what might they do with it when they have it?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty