I removed myself from all Shopsmith Facebook Groups

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: I removed myself from all Shopsmith Facebook Groups

Post by dusty »

Oh Well. I find myself spending a lot of time with the younger set.I find myself moving the other direction.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I had Face Book, deleted my account, best move I have ever made on the internet.
I am of the opinion that any company that appreciates it's customers would never consider the use of FaceBook.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Actually, young people these days have moved away from Facebook. They may have an account, they don’t use much, for family communications, or for business reasons, like selling things to older people. :eek:
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Opinions just might change if one spent some time on any one or all of the Shopsmith FB sites, Mine certainly did.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Marc,

You said
One thing I realized after I posted my earlier comment is that I think I mistakenly recognized the wrong person as the historian, it is you, Russ, who has been doing the wonderful, deep-dive histories.
You should know that a lot of the information I know is thanks to Everett. I was, at one time, like you a new to Shopsmith tool owner having received my Father-in-laws Mark V 520 eager to learn more about them. With the help of Everett and many others I have learned, researched and used hands on experience to learn what I know today. I have a lot of reference material I have collected in both print and electronic but you should know Everett has copies of documents most of us cannot get other than through what he has made available to us. This includes information from documents he was allowed to copy from Shopsmith's records when he visited the plant to do research for his book. Something else he made available to us is PDF copies of the internal employee newsletters from Magna which he purchased that provided a look into the company and the people working there. I have been happy to pass on the knowledge I have learned from Everett and others on this Shopsmith Forum which is where I prefer to be as opposed to FB groups.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Forums are a much better format than any social media. I have 18 social media accounts for business reasons mostly. If I can use it from my computer I'll join.

Following anything in a Facebook group that has a lot of users is a pain.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
SpencerWhite
Silver Member

Post by SpencerWhite »

When a person creates a new whatsapp account or sees that 20 thousand people have already subscribed to the account, the first thing he thinks is: "I wish I had seen it before."
Last edited by SpencerWhite on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

An excellent description of what is wrong with facebook and it's disciples.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:47 pm An excellent description of what is wrong with facebook and it's disciples.
Without spending significant time on FB (especially something like the Shopsmith FB sites) is's all just unsubstantiated opinion. I disliked FB for years but now find the shop related sites quite interesting and there is no shortage of diehard Shopsmith users,
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Flickle
Bronze Member

Post by Flickle »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:05 pm
JPG wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:00 pm Facebook is for old fogies!???

Old fogies kids maybe.

But then to toungsters, them kids are OLD!
YES, FB is for chronologically advanced individuals! If you don't believe me, you can look up the stats for it (see link below). I am technically Gen X, but I don't have a FB account. I have borrowed a family members account a few times to check out the Shopsmith groups on FB. ALL of my family (including parents) have FB accounts and they are all older than me. Those younger than Gen X have largely shunned FB in lieu of other social media platforms. This proves out with my kids and their friends as well. They don't use FB or IG.

P.S. IF you don't use FB then you can consider yourself a "young" person by association. :D

I have to agree - all I see on FB now is pictures of peoples kids. Not necessarily "older" folks but doesn't seem like many young folks are on there. I would push back on IG though - every teen seems to be on there.