Mark VII Caster Interference

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Caster Interference

Post by chapmanruss »

techy2493,

You said (in part),
I bought a Shopsmith Mark V with the upgraded casters installed and find they're not quite in the right place on one side.
I am guessing you have the 3" Caster Upgrade on your Mark V. There have been discussions about problems with this previously. On older Retractable Caster sets the Foot Pedal is closer to the outer edge than on later Retractable Caster sets. The difference is about an inch. If it is the Foot Pedal that is interfering with the casters rotating, you have a couple of options. You can "trim" down the Foot Pedal to allow the casters to rotate or you could drill a new hole in each Drive Rod moving the Foot Pedal a little bit toward the middle to allow clearance. Newer Retractable Caster Sets have the Foot Pedal a bit closer to the middle which avoids interference with the casters rotating. If neither of those options appeal to you than you could get a later version of the Retractable Casters or different wheels needing less clearance for rotation.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
techy2493
Bronze Member

Post by techy2493 »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:34 am techy2493,

You said (in part),
I bought a Shopsmith Mark V with the upgraded casters installed and find they're not quite in the right place on one side.
I am guessing you have the 3" Caster Upgrade on your Mark V. There have been discussions about problems with this previously. On older Retractable Caster sets the Foot Pedal is closer to the outer edge than on later Retractable Caster sets. The difference is about an inch. If it is the Foot Pedal that is interfering with the casters rotating, you have a couple of options. You can "trim" down the Foot Pedal to allow the casters to rotate or you could drill a new hole in each Drive Rod moving the Foot Pedal a little bit toward the middle to allow clearance. Newer Retractable Caster Sets have the Foot Pedal a bit closer to the middle which avoids interference with the casters rotating. If neither of those options appeal to you than you could get a later version of the Retractable Casters or different wheels needing less clearance for rotation.
Thanks, I'll check this as well, but I believe it's an installation problem, the metal frame of the Shopsmith coming into contact with the ground because the casters are not going down quite far enough. I suspect poor application of the template or failure to use a punch to start the hole in exactly the right place, in this case being slightly too high causing the casters to cause the frame to only just clear the ground by a couple of millimeters which is not sufficient on the less than perfectly flat garage floor.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Initial design target was lift 1/8" and 1/4" off the floor. There is enough slop in the caster retention ring to allow the wheels to touch the floor at fully lowered position, but no load is passed to the casters(base firmly toughing the 'ground'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange