Packing & Moving a Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mindpilot
Gold Member

Packing & Moving a Shopsmith

Post by mindpilot »

Looking for help & suggestions...tips & tricks for packing and moving my Shopsmith. Should I disassemble it? Does Shopsmith have shipping materials available?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Packing & Moving a Shopsmith

Post by chapmanruss »

My first question would be how it is being moved? If you are moving your household using a moving company and it is going to be packed inside a truck that would be different than moving it, in say a pickup or a van. If you are moving your household then I would ask the moving company if it would be better if it was disassembled some or if it would be okay if moved assembled packed in the truck with other furniture. The tables and tailstock could be removed and packed in boxes with other accessories. Do use your best judgement as it will have items packed next to and on top of it in a truck. Shopsmith ships new ones with the legs detached but the rest assembled and in a heavy box crate. You may choose to disassemble it more to have smaller lighter weight boxes. The most important thing is to have it moved without damage. Again use your best judgement.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If you are moving across the country, disassemble it as much as can be done easily and pack the parts in wooden crates. If you are just moving it across town, simply lay it on the back of a pickup and move it. I've done it just laying in the back of a pickup numerous times without issues.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
SJErick1972
Silver Member

Post by SJErick1972 »

I am also looking to move now the Shopsmith. Will the moving company pack it for myself or better to pack it by myself? Any good or bad experience?
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I wouldn't let a moving company pack anything you care about
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

SJErick1972,

First, I would refer you back to my previous post above on this topic dated Nov. 1, 2021, for help. If it is a short distance that you will go back and forth to, I would suggest you move it yourself. Since that posting I moved last summer so I was faced with how to move my Shopsmith Tools. As noted below I have a lot of them and that list doesn't include everything. With help, we moved ALL of my Shopsmith and other tools in a 26' U-Haul truck. They were carefully loaded and strapped in and made the 21 mile trip from my old home to my new one on July 1st. The truck was full. This kind of covers what HopefulSSer said above.

If you are moving a greater distance and have to consider the moving truck as your only alternative know that it will be packed in with other furniture and boxes. Moving blankets will help pad it and items will be placed under, around and over it. Reputable Movers will pack it in with care as with all of your belongings to protect them from damage. You could ask that it be loaded last with less chance of other items being placed on top of it.

Do check yourself that ALL locks on the Shopsmith are locked before it is loaded.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'd take the headstock off completely and pack that separately. You could leave the tubes and end castings assembled and strap them onto a heavy board, but you'll save a lot of space if you dissemble those pieces.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Areba21
Silver Member

Post by Areba21 »

From my experience, it's better to let the moving company pack, especially for something as complex as a Shopsmith. I used Three Movers for my move, and they offered both packing and moving services. It felt safer because they knew exactly how to handle and pack everything properly, avoiding any damage during the move.

The team was very careful and consulted with me on how I wanted my items packed, which was reassuring. They seemed to have a lot of experience and offered good service without charging extra just for packing. For more detailed info on why it's beneficial to use professional packing services, you can check out https://threemovers.com/why-do-you-need ... -services/.
Last edited by Areba21 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.