New (old) Jointer on ShopSmith Power Stand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New (old) Jointer on ShopSmith Power Stand

Post by JPG »

Now WHY did I not think of that?

Keep the variator bearings well lubricated!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

garys wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:13 am Yes, definitely try a wider blade for resawing 5" wood. I have a 1/2" blade on my bandsaw, and recently have been resawing quite a bit of 6" Oak, Cherry, and Walnut. It handles it well even with my old 1983 Shopsmith motor.
I use a wider blade for general purposes, but it's kinda tough to cut a bandsaw box with a 1/2" blade ;)
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Tiim2Relax
Silver Member

Post by Tiim2Relax »

The manual says the bearings are sealed and permanently lubricated so I don't think I can lubricate them.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Tiim2Relax wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:43 pm The manual says the bearings are sealed and permanently lubricated so I don't think I can lubricate them.
I'd have to pull mine out to check the variator bearing on the shaft but I believe you need to keep the floating sheave lubricated as well as the moving parts of the speed changing actuator.

Not sure what you've done with the motor but I've found maintaining tension on the belts will get rid of a lot of noise from vibration. Did you consider a longer belt?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
Tiim2Relax
Silver Member

Post by Tiim2Relax »

I thought about a longer belt, but took the easy approach.....I would have needed to disassemble quite a bit more to change the belt. It was easier just to move the motor closer. Belt is in good condition and tension feels about right. I'm not getting excessive noise.

Ahhh...I will make sure the floating sheeve and speed changing actuator stay lubricated. Thanks!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:43 am Keep the variator bearings well lubricated!!!!!
I'm trying to recall this from when I had mine apart, but I'm thinking the variator bears directly on the shaft. No ball bearings, sealed or otherwise. Is that right? My manual also says 'no additional lubrication required' but I don't think that is best. For sure, the motor needs oil (or at least mine does) as it is not a ball bearing motor and I cleaned and greased the variator shaft when I had mine apart. I like the convenience and small footprint of the Power Station, but ultimately decided to go forward with a mini Mark V.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:39 pm I like the convenience and small footprint of the Power Station, but ultimately decided to go forward with a mini Mark V.
- David
I'm doing the same thing because I have all the parts for a machine left over, and now a pretty decent headstock too. It doesn't have to be significantly larger than a Power Station without a carriage or table. My plan is to make the motor reversible, keep a joiner mounted on the left side and leave the right side available as needed. I suppose if that mini is full up I'll pull out the Power Station but I think it's going to just be part of the collection.
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Bronze bushings(oil impregnated) are often considered not needing additional lubrication.

Folly IMHO.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
asderasd
Bronze Member

Post by asderasd »

I think it's not a bad buy. This jointer will last you many years, and I am sure of it. I have a similar one in my garage, and I use it occasionally. I am always confident that it will be able to work the wood just as well again after another long downtime. I haven't been doing anything with my own hands lately because I don't have time. If I need to make a piece of wood, I turn to joinerysolutionssw.co.uk and get a quality product at a reasonable price. But if I have some free time, I will resume my hobby.