A couple of old Planes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

A couple of old Planes

Post by bainin »

I decided I needed to get a few hand planes for the shop. I haven't used planes before, tending toward the power tool approaches and sanding for hours. I didnt feel I was of the skill/interest level to be buying $400 new planes and could get away with refurbished units.

Theres a guy nearby who refurbs older planes, teaches classes on planes, and sharpening various items. So i picked these up from him
and got a 1 hr lesson on their use and maintenance. Nice guy- a carpenter his whole life, now just running small stuff out of his garage shop.

Based on the little bit of reading I'd done, I picked up a #5 jack Plane and a low angle block plane. With these I will be able to decide
if this manual route is one I want to go down further, or just leave it at this. Atleast the test runs I did in his shop left a beautiful surface that would arguably be ready for finish.

This isnt a tool review persay-maybe when I'm allowed to use them after Christmas heh. I tend to buy my own Xmas gifts these days but still have to abide by the holiday rules :/

plane1.jpg
plane1.jpg (223.04 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
plane2.jpg
plane2.jpg (154.78 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
plane3.jpg
plane3.jpg (161 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
plane4.jpg
plane4.jpg (256.57 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
plane5.jpg
plane5.jpg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
plane6.jpg
plane6.jpg (101.41 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
plane7.jpg
plane7.jpg (117.89 KiB) Viewed 2327 times

b
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: A couple of old Planes

Post by jsburger »

Nice!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Nice looking planes. Glad that there is someone to help you learn how to use them. I have a couple that I use when I do not want to get out the power tools. It is a lot easier to fit a bottom into a box with a plane then attempting to just shave a bit off with a saw. Do not forget to get a couple of card scrapers as they can take off glue where it has inadvertently spread easier and faster than sanding can.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Nice! Pretty soon you'll be seduced by the siren song of the gossamer shavings https://www.pbs.org/video/hand-plane-es ... rz-9qkzzm/

:D
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

He was trying to sell me on card scrapers he makes as well !

He makes alot of helper tools for the shop and supplies them to the name brands-you can find him thru this local craigslist link.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/ca ... 01821.html
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

I'm bookmarking that guy!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I know very little about hand planes, but I do have one Stanley plane in my shop. I've found it useful on a few projects, so it sits on my bench ready to use. Probably if I learned more about them, I would find it even more useful.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

see edited post below....sorry about the double posting :p
Last edited by edflorence on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

edflorence wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:27 pm Congratulations on your new planes! I think you will find that the No. 5 will quickly become a favorite. I have a 5 1/2 that is a real pleasure to use. I also have a Stanley Defiance #4 ( I think its a number 4...its a bit over 9 inchef long) that is a nice smooth plane. It, along with the block plane and the 5 1/2, do nearly all the plane work I need to do. I also have a 14 inch jack plane, but it rarely gets used...the power jointer does the job better and quicker. Just recently I converted a box store Buck Bros #5 into a scrub plane, a la Stumpy Nubs, but haven't really done much with it yet. I find that planes and scrapers play an important role even in a power tool shop. IMHO, its not an either/or deal...you can combine hand tools and power tools and its all still woodworking. Oh, one more thought...you might look into a rabbet plane also. Very handy for trimming tenons and cleaning up rabbets
after you cut them on the shopsmith.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Planes are a good tool to have , there are so many with so many uses it is remarkable . if ya want to have fun find a old Stanley 45 or similar with the cutters , its not as hard as it looks , it just takes a little practice , some of the old furniture we have restored was made with these tools and to replicate them can be challenging . some of the real old stuff was made with cutters made in shop , card scrapers are worth their weight and they come in all sorts of shapes curves and straight edges . pretty sure woodworks still sell a assortment pack .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)