A few things you might want for yourself

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: A few things you might want for yourself

Post by RFGuy »

I lost a lot of respect for Bridge City Tool Works when they sold to Harvey (Chinese ownership). Is the quality still there on this block plane now that manufacturing has moved offshore? I am curious if they have been able to maintain the quality that they were once known for...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Can't speak to how things might have been but this is a high quality tool. China can produce very nice products and of course junk.

What I most dislike about things made in China is when they rip off others designs, For the most part it appears they lack the creative touch that happens here in the USA.

At least I didn't pay the listed price, that would have been too much. Planes tend to be a costly purchase and a decent one is expensive and the really nice ones are are, how shall we put it, just to dang expensive.

Now I have to hope I don't come upon another tool I just have to have this year..........

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Thanks. I agree for the most part. My only point was historically Bridge City has been known for high end (luxury) woodworking tools. You pay a premium price and expect a premium tool in return. I would hate to pay a premium price for a hand tool just to get another tool that was manufactured in China. I am glad you are happy with it and don't see any issues with the tool now that their manufacturing has moved from Oregon to China...I was just curious on your thoughts on it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

At the list price I would say we are talking about expecting premium tool. They sell for $130 at places like LeeValley which is more in line with other high quality planes of like size. At less then a $100 in is well within what one would expect to pay for a nice small plane. But in this case it has a special function that I have not seen from anyone else. This happened to be the feature that made this a tool I wanted so getting it on sale and being of decent quality is what mattered most to me.

lie-nielsen as far as I know is still plane company that is made in the USA. I don't have any of there tools but they sure look nice and if I were in the position to need and want a premium plane I would certainly look at them.

I don't do that much hand work anymore and less each year. I sanded a project yesterday, maybe 30 to 40 mines with brakes to change paper and my arm is sore today..... could not imagine hand planing for much more time then that and have a feeling I would regret it.

Ed
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I do not remember where I bought the pictured knife. Probably from Garrett Wade but maybe Brookstone. In the 1970's. It was advertised as a luthier's knife and I was trying to make violins at the time. I certainly couldn't afford the Swedish solid Beechwood benches Garrett Wade was selling, and I still can't, but the knife I could afford.

Anyway, this knife has been in wide use since then, and it is terrific at everything. The knife seems to have the optimum combination of blade geometry, thin section and the right alloy/temper . I have used this knife for precise work like cutting purfling grooves and squaring chiseled corners and yet it makes a great spokeshave/paint scraper also. Edge stays sharp, and the rosewood handle is the best. Has always done whatever I asked of it.

I know I shouldn't be using such a great tool for paint scraping like I am doing now, but no other tool can get in where this knife can go. Would fit in a Christmas stocking well also.
Attachments
IMG_2316 (3).JPG
IMG_2316 (3).JPG (61.05 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
IMG_2317 (2).JPG
IMG_2317 (2).JPG (82.72 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
IMG_2318 (3).JPG
IMG_2318 (3).JPG (84.08 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

I have sold most of my clamps, of various brands and types, and now have Dubuque bar clamps. I've mentioned this brand to numerous friends and other people I know who work in the shop and surprisingly, not one has heard of this brand. The quality is exceptional, and they are lightweight and easy to handle. I have quite a few of these in lengths 2', 3', and 4'. I have kept some of my old Pony bar clamps for longer lengths, but I don't use those very often.

These are made in Iowa and the company doesn't have a website. I have bought these clamps from Tools For Working Wood, Harry Epstein, and Coastal Tool.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/i ... rm=dubuque
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Edited: to fix poor pictures

This is more of a nice thing to have rather then a necessity. My Festool CT26 has a control to change air flow on the machine. For things like sanding you want the control set to minimum air flow, and for things like the track saw or routing operations high air flow is best. For the most part this is just fine and you set it for the operation then away you go.... but then there are times when you wish you had some control on the hose end. This is where this upgrade comes in handy.

These first two images are of the box it comes in. It is quick none destructive change out and you can retain the original parts in case you want to change back to the old ones at some point.
he1.jpg
he1.jpg (202.17 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
he2.jpg
he2.jpg (208.62 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
The next three images show the hose end on my hose with the "valve" set to full closed to full open. It locks at the extremes but anywhere between is fair game for adjustment.
heclosed.jpg
heclosed.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
hehalfway.jpg
hehalfway.jpg (120.23 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
heopen.jpg
heopen.jpg (175.42 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Not all the dealers are carrying this yet, got mine from toolnut.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

RCZ wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:12 pm I have sold most of my clamps, of various brands and types, and now have Dubuque bar clamps. I've mentioned this brand to numerous friends and other people I know who work in the shop and surprisingly, not one has heard of this brand. The quality is exceptional, and they are lightweight and easy to handle. I have quite a few of these in lengths 2', 3', and 4'. I have kept some of my old Pony bar clamps for longer lengths, but I don't use those very often.

These are made in Iowa and the company doesn't have a website. I have bought these clamps from Tools For Working Wood, Harry Epstein, and Coastal Tool.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/i ... rm=dubuque
I can imagine that those clamps could become my favorites as well. Thanks for posting, as I’d never heard of them. They are now officially on my tool wishlist.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Hello Dennis.

You will love these clamps once you start using them. Even though the prices have gone up recently (just like everything!), I think they are an excellent value. Just check the price plus shipping from the three retailers I listed above. I had bought several orders from Harry Epstein, but then their shipping cost to VA from Kansas City jumped considerably. Coastal Tool (CT) and Tools For Working Wood (NYC) more recently have been a better choice for me, in part because the shipping was better.

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:42 am
I can imagine that those clamps could become my favorites as well. Thanks for posting, as I’d never heard of them. They are now officially on my tool wishlist.