A few things you might want for yourself

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

A few things you might want for yourself

Post by reible »

Or to give as gifts. Or perhaps you get some cash gifts or gift cards for the holidays and just don't know how to spend it.....

I will start off with a few items but feel free to add to my list and comments and questions are welcome.

I thought I would post a few things I got in this past year that I really like and think you might too. I thought I would go for items that cost less then $100 but if you feel the need to add something that costs more that is fine. This list is in a random order as I happen to think of things and not in order of how much I like them or how useful I find them.

I have a collection of countersinks but the largest was not large enough for a project I was working on this past year. In looking for a larger version I came across one sold by Beall. The cost was about almost $36 with shipping but it is nice tool and expanded my range up to 1". I've purchased several things from them and have always been please with the items.
C1.jpg
C1.jpg (143.15 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
https://bealltool.com/products/threadin ... ersink.php

For most smaller jobs it easy to just chuck this up in a drill and do it rather then getting a router out and finding the bit etc. I could have used one of these many many years ago, but at least I now have one.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: A few things you might want for yourself

Post by reible »

Next up is a Lee Valley item called a Crucible Scraper. It runs $21 and tax and for order of more then $30 you can get free shipping. They carry a lot of interesting things so I have no problem getting over the limit for the free shipping and you shouldn't either.

They are presently over sold so you not get one in time for Christmas but hey that is how it goes sometimes. I have a collection of scrapers but as my hands age I have to either put them in a holder or use them for a very short time. This one is different, much less stress and no digging in if you are not careful enough.
c2.jpg
c2.jpg (122.72 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
Not sure if the bluing will hold up long term but I have high hopes.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... em=97K5010

If you don't have any scrapers then do get some. This one would be a good place to start.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Next up is a set of layout squares by iGaging. I find I use the smaller 7" one way more then the 12" but that might be due to the projects I have been working on. They have a lot of nice features and pleasant feel to them. The light weight was the first thing I noticed, of course that can be expected since then are aluminum. They do come with a pencil and lead, BTW the pencil is MUCH nicer then the ones woodpecker adds to their product.

I've been leaving the larger square in the foam, in the box it shipped in and then the smaller one has been hanging about where I use it. I should take the time to make a actual holder for them but to many other things to do just yet.
c3.jpg
c3.jpg (210.84 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
They are sold in a lot of places so please shop around for a better price. Amazon was not the best price but it is a nice place to read about them:

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Layout-S ... =8-22&th=1

These are wood working quality, good enough is good enough.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This next item is track saw concentric so if you don't have one then this will not be something you want. They are called waste side jigs. When you cut with a track the track edge aligns with the marks you make and the waste side of the cut is to the outside. This means the part you want and measured for is under the track. This is mostly a good thing until it is not.

Some times you want to space the fence away from the line meaning the work piece will be cut to the outside of the blade not the inside. I had some parts I used for this but it was not a really good way to do it. Then I saw these waste side jigs. They slide under the track and have a 2.2mm off set so the jig can be put on the line and the fence is spaced back by that amount. And yes take the jigs out before cutting or you will be sorry.

Now the saw I have have has a 2.2 mm kerf but fear not there are other common dimensions available.
c4.jpg
c4.jpg (149.95 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
You now can get them on Etsy and here is a link:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/859978468/ ... out_opfy-7

There are now others offering this so do as you see fit when buying. This version will run you about $20 with shipping.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This next item I know works with the Festool vacuum system but might work with some other shopvacs, but beware it might not....

It is the Festool 500312 CT Wings Extra Hand. What do you expect that to be?? I had seen it in catalogs and online but until this year I never really looked at it.

I've been in remodeling mode this year and while most things you can do alone there are others that you need an extra hand with. The wife has had that duty since the kids all left home. But sometime even she is not available when I'm ready for the task at hand. Now if only there was another way to hold up the other end of the piece of molding..........

What if there was a tool that attached to the vacuum and then was adjustable to the work piece so it could keep it in place when the vacuum was on? That is the jest of what this is.

Here I set it up to show you the basic idea:
c5a.jpg
c5a.jpg (243.45 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
The jig has swivel parts that adjust for the work piece. It has a gasket to hold the vacuum. The angle part the hose attaches to comes off so you can have the hose come in at a straight angle.
c5b.jpg
c5b.jpg (213.11 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
c5c.jpg
c5c.jpg (219.01 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
Yes it is $50 but I think I've already gotten that much value out of it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NB1R9NG?ps ... ct_details

There was a festool live not long ago where this was show cased if you care to see more.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I located the video with the wing.

It starts at about 9:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnjDba ... FestoolUSA

Ed
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

reible wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:52 pm This next item is track saw concentric so if you don't have one then this will not be something you want. They are called waste side jigs. When you cut with a track the track edge aligns with the marks you make and the waste side of the cut is to the outside. This means the part you want and measured for is under the track. This is mostly a good thing until it is not.

Some times you want to space the fence away from the line meaning the work piece will be cut to the outside of the blade not the inside. I had some parts I used for this but it was not a really good way to do it. Then I saw these waste side jigs. They slide under the track and have a 2.2mm off set so the jig can be put on the line and the fence is spaced back by that amount. And yes take the jigs out before cutting or you will be sorry.

Now the saw I have have has a 2.2 mm kerf but fear not there are other common dimensions available.
c4.jpg
You now can get them on Etsy and here is a link:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/859978468/ ... out_opfy-7

There are now others offering this so do as you see fit when buying. This version will run you about $20 with shipping.

Ed
Be aware that when you change blades, you may also be changing kerf size. I purchased a second blade (different tooth count) for my track saw and it has a different kerf than the original.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Festool blades have the width on the blade label. Yes always check and use the correct spacer for your blade.
ftblade.jpg
ftblade.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed, do any of the Festool hose couplers fit on the exhaust port of the lower saw guard. I would like to be able to avoid the interference brought about by the rear table leg.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:01 pm Ed, do any of the Festool hose couplers fit on the exhaust port of the lower saw guard. I would like to be able to avoid the interference brought about by the rear table leg.
Festool doesn't make a suitable adapter. I have one I use but I don't recall the place I got it, not that odd an adapter but it slides into the port on the saw guard and then the hose of the hose goes over the adapter. The fit on the saw is a little loose but stays on. I have on my wish list for the year getting a 3-D printed part that might work better. Since you ask I think perhaps I will get that order in and see what happens.

It is listed as a 2-1/4" adapter to 36mm hose. The guy also makes one for the smaller festool hose which I might get it this one works well for other tools that have need for lesser air flow but still use the 2-1/4" opening. If I like it I will share the link but if you or anyone else is in a hurry let me know and I can post it, sight unseen product and no comment on the quality, so....

Ed