A few things you might want for yourself

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: A few things you might want for yourself

Post by reible »

Next up are some "Fingertip Bit Holders". Another item from Lee Valley. They come as a set of three which is nice since I was able to stick one in with my workx, another with my drill driver collection and the other with my screw driver collection.

They except 1/4" hex shank bits. Nice for fine adjusting or starting screws or even the last couple of turns to get a fastener out. They let you get in some tight places but don't plan to get things to tight with them. There is a magnet in the base so it holds bits in quite well, in fact I often have to get a pliers to pull them out, young hands can more then likely do it better.
c6a.jpg
c6a.jpg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
c6a1.jpg
c6a1.jpg (167.93 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
c6a2.jpg
c6a2.jpg (151.97 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... em=50K6701

At $8.50 they could even be stocking stuffers.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:07 pm
dusty wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:01 pm Ed, do any of the Festool hose couplers fit on the exhaust port of the lower saw guard. I would like to be able to avoid the interference brought about by the rear table leg.
Festool doesn't make a suitable adapter. I have one I use but I don't recall the place I got it, not that odd an adapter but it slides into the port on the saw guard and then the hose of the hose goes over the adapter. The fit on the saw is a little loose but stays on. I have on my wish list for the year getting a 3-D printed part that might work better. Since you ask I think perhaps I will get that order in and see what happens.

It is listed as a 2-1/4" adapter to 36mm hose. The guy also makes one for the smaller festool hose which I might get it this one works well for other tools that have need for lesser air flow but still use the 2-1/4" opening. If I like it I will share the link but if you or anyone else is in a hurry let me know and I can post it, sight unseen product and no comment on the quality, so....

Ed
No rush but I am interested. I would like to bring the hose off the saw guard and inward between the way tubes and down. I have a port at floor level where I attach the DC. I do this now but the hose goes over the top of the tubes and down. In this manner the hose interferes with the table legs if I move the headstock
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Lee Valley is my happy place. :) They sell the Crucible scraper, but it is made by Crucible Tools, which is part of Lost Art Press (Christopher Schwarz et all)
https://lostartpress.com/collections/tools

Lost Art blog post when the scraper was introduced.
https://blog.lostartpress.com/2019/03/2 ... rved-work/
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I stumbled across the linked magnets with eye rings, rather than hooks, and bought a set of 10 the other day. I got them in Saturday, assembled them, and believe they are going to be pretty useful. I'll put a couple on the Shopsmith to hold my allen T-wrenches, one or two near my router lift to hold the lift wrench, and other places to hold oft-used screwdrivers, etc.

$15 for a pack of 10: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... =UTF8&th=1

The solid eye measures 0.43" inside, so there is plenty of room to hold most screwdrivers, allen wrenches, etc. The base measures 0.98". Both the screw and eye are non magnetic, maybe stainless steel, so no problem getting them assembled. The eye has a marking on the base of "304" which is a type of stainless steel. The top cover (black in my case) blocks most of the magnetism, so steel stuff being put through the eye doesn't get "grabbed". The screw is a little long, sticking up maybe 1/8" above the base into the eye. The magnet is advertised at 40 lbs; I don't know if that is accurate, but they do require a good amount of force to remove from a flat steel surface, nor do they slide easily.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

So I consider having a good supply of fasteners on hand as nearly as much "fun" as new tools. Anything that saves me a trip to just buy a few bolts is a good thing. I like to keep a supply of 1/4" & 5/16" bolts in likely lengths and will probably be expanding that through 1/2" diameter and also metric equivalents as I enter the metal working hobby.

A couple weeks ago, I discovered that Tractor Supply sells much of their fasteners by the pound, as I recall at a price that I felt was very reasonable. This will make it easier to get a good assortment without the cost of buying whole boxes nor pain of writing down every size and then the checkout person still counting and entering each piece. I didn't check the bolt grade, was actually buying lag screws and in a bit of a hurry, so I don't know if they are selling grade 2 or 5 bolts in bulk. I'll be making a trip there sometime this week and will grab some 3/8" bolts, nuts, washers, so will find out the grade they sell if anyone is interested in knowing the grade.

Another fastener resource I recently discovered is boltdepot.com. I've not yet ordered from them, but saw a lot of references/recommendations to the site from metal working sites and forums that I've started frequenting. They have quite a good selection of fasteners of all kinds and grades.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

roy_okc wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:14 am So I consider having a good supply of fasteners on hand as nearly as much "fun" as new tools. Anything that saves me a trip to just buy a few bolts is a good thing. I like to keep a supply of 1/4" & 5/16" bolts in likely lengths and will probably be expanding that through 1/2" diameter and also metric equivalents as I enter the metal working hobby.

A couple weeks ago, I discovered that Tractor Supply sells much of their fasteners by the pound, as I recall at a price that I felt was very reasonable. This will make it easier to get a good assortment without the cost of buying whole boxes nor pain of writing down every size and then the checkout person still counting and entering each piece. I didn't check the bolt grade, was actually buying lag screws and in a bit of a hurry, so I don't know if they are selling grade 2 or 5 bolts in bulk. I'll be making a trip there sometime this week and will grab some 3/8" bolts, nuts, washers, so will find out the grade they sell if anyone is interested in knowing the grade.

Another fastener resource I recently discovered is boltdepot.com. I've not yet ordered from them, but saw a lot of references/recommendations to the site from metal working sites and forums that I've started frequenting. They have quite a good selection of fasteners of all kinds and grades.
Here Tractor Supply sells at least two grades, and I'm thinking it's three, in bulk at different price per pound depending on grade. Both grades 5 and 8 are available, for sure. I think the bulk pricing is NC threads only, but a wide range of sizes and lengths of bolts along with washers and nuts is available. Atwood's is new in our area but IIRC they have similar. You are right, they are very reasonably priced for small to moderate quantities especially considering the mix and match within a grade. TS also has shaft collars that are a bargain, but don't fit the SS tool box. I paid under $7 for a pair of 1-1/4", they are very stout compared to the normal SS version, both thicker and have a larger OD.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had a few minutes of work time in the shop today. Shop is setting at 39 degrees and I really don't like doing things unless it is 50 or more degrees. I did survive the cold with my hands bearing the brunt of the chill. Could have worn gloves for some of it but hey.......

Anyway one thing that I wanted to work on was the 2-1/2" to 36mm hose adapter that I got. I did not hook it up on the saw but rather checked the fit on the shopsmith saw guard and the 36mm hose. I had actually done the test when it came and I wasn't all the pleased with the fit of the 2-1/2" part of it.

I tried one wrap of black electrical tape and it was better. Added a second wrap and I'm pretty happy. It would be nice not to have to wrap tape but you do what you have to do.

This first picture show the shopsmith saw guard and the adapter that I had been using as well as the new adapter. The old adapter fits the 2-1/2" but could use a wrap of tape for a better fit. The other end I connect to my 27mm festool hose. It works but not as well as it could.
adpt1.jpg
adpt1.jpg (127.83 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
The new adapter will allow the use of the 36mm hose and I expect that to do much better. It is also shorter that might be of some use when routing the hose around the shopsmith.
adpt2.jpg
adpt2.jpg (125.89 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
And here it is when attached to the guard:
adpt3.jpg
adpt3.jpg (152.14 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Looking forward to spring and getting things out to do some trial runs.

I still need to check the bandsaw port which is a DIY adapter and the other place I would love to see the larger hose hooking up. And perhaps the shark guard which as I recall is also that same port size. Got to save something for another day.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I finally got to check the port on my band saw and it fits there. I then tried the shark guard and that too was a fit. Fit in that the two wraps of black electrical tape is needed for them as well.
sharkv.jpg
sharkv.jpg (218.93 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
So I think I should order a second one of these so I can use it on the lower guard as well as the shark...... maybe this month so I have it when the woodworking begins in the spring.

Ed
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Ed, what's going on with that black thing draped over the head stock in the last photo? The last time you were obscuring your head stock in photos posted to the forum it was because you were testing the PowerPro for Shopsmith. Are you testing another prototype for Shopsmith? Perhaps the PowerPro 2.0?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The shelf liner just happens to be there, nothing new hidden below. I use the shelf liner for gripping things when I want to say do some sanding or even routing. It also protects things like work surfaces and is easy to store on say the top of the prowerpro.

If there were a V2 I would love to test it. I would like to see a lower speed say 100rpm and top out at say 8000 rpm. And the ability to add a remote. It would have to have a lot of new features to convince me to buy another one, two takes care of most of my needs.

Ed