Parts for "new" 1987 510

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ribertgropius
Bronze Member

Parts for "new" 1987 510

Post by ribertgropius »

I just acquired a neglected 510, manufactured in 1987, for one of my kids.who just bought an older home and is about to commence some projects. All in all, it appears to be in decent shape with little use, but there are a couple of things:

1. The most significant is a screech when one turns the speed adjuster towards the very highest setting. I am pretty sure it is caused by the sheeves hitting the adjuster, and from what I read it can be cured following the directions for adjusting the high speed limit.

2. The carriage crank is missing the black plastic tubular handle. I see Shopsmith sells the crank handle though I don't see a listing for the special screw that I believe attaches it to the crank. Any advice where to find the crank handle and screw? Unfortunately, the shipping/handling fee is twice the cost of the handle!

3. It also came with the adjustable legs to support the free end of the 510 pipes, but unfortunately the two T-joint fittings are missing from the top of the pipes! I see these fittings available for $47 each from Shopsmith, but wondered if anyone ever sees them come up on ebay? I see listings for entire leg sets, but I just need the fittings.

None of the Allen screw plugs have been removed from the casing so I doubt if there has been much maintenance (or use) on the machine; obviously the quill has never been pulled. I directed them to look up the directions for lubricating the machine, and once they clean off the light surface rust from the way tubes and rail tubes, to invest in a can of Boeshield T-9.

My experience with Shopsmiths is limited to the work I did about ten years ago restoring a very neglected 1962 that was given to me that had a lot of use (and a lot of shaping bits). At that time, I tore that one down, had the motor cleaned and replaced the bearings, replaced belts, replaced a few damaged parts, used electrolysis to clean the way tubes of rust, and stripped and repainted most of the machine. They are amazing machines, and I was very impressed by the company support when I worked on mine.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Parts for "new" 1987 510

Post by DLB »

ribertgropius wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 pm I just acquired a neglected 510, manufactured in 1987, for one of my kids.who just bought an older home and is about to commence some projects. All in all, it appears to be in decent shape with little use, but there are a couple of things:

1. The most significant is a screech when one turns the speed adjuster towards the very highest setting. I am pretty sure it is caused by the sheeves hitting the adjuster, and from what I read it can be cured following the directions for adjusting the high speed limit.

Yes, that's the most likely cause and solution. It would be a good idea to look through the inspection hole in the back of the headstock to check that the button bearing, button, and wire loop parts are all there and correctly positioned. Taking a pic and posting it here is always good.

2. The carriage crank is missing the black plastic tubular handle. I see Shopsmith sells the crank handle though I don't see a listing for the special screw that I believe attaches it to the crank. Any advice where to find the crank handle and screw? Unfortunately, the shipping/handling fee is twice the cost of the handle!

We've discussed this recently and I think the screw is relatively special and available from Shopsmith. It has a hard-to-find shoulder length. PN 513418. But I see your point, currently listed as "not found." That's an error, as SS is still making/using the assemblies. And it shows the assembly, 514330, available for $22.23. I would first try calling Customer Service. But you are right about shipping costs on small orders like this.

3. It also came with the adjustable legs to support the free end of the 510 pipes, but unfortunately the two T-joint fittings are missing from the top of the pipes! I see these fittings available for $47 each from Shopsmith, but wondered if anyone ever sees them come up on ebay? I see listings for entire leg sets, but I just need the fittings.

There seem to be two types of these, having either one or two setscrews for the tubes and one for the leg. There is one on CL in Dallas for $20, probably not useful unless you live there. They do show up on ebay, not as often as legs. Two pairs sold in November ~$40 - $45 per pair plus shipping. Both are called Speed-Rail, I believe made by Hollaender. I think they are Models 17-5 3/4" (two setscrews) and 17E-5 3/4" (one setscrew), but please confirm this for yourself before ordering them by PN: https://www.hollaender.com/products/?t= ... %7C15%7C17# Note table in upper left says 3/4" size fits 1.05" OD Pipe.

None of the Allen screw plugs have been removed from the casing so I doubt if there has been much maintenance (or use) on the machine; obviously the quill has never been pulled. I directed them to look up the directions for lubricating the machine, and once they clean off the light surface rust from the way tubes and rail tubes, to invest in a can of Boeshield T-9.

My experience with Shopsmiths is limited to the work I did about ten years ago restoring a very neglected 1962 that was given to me that had a lot of use (and a lot of shaping bits). At that time, I tore that one down, had the motor cleaned and replaced the bearings, replaced belts, replaced a few damaged parts, used electrolysis to clean the way tubes of rust, and stripped and repainted most of the machine. They are amazing machines, and I was very impressed by the company support when I worked on mine.
- David
ribertgropius
Bronze Member

Post by ribertgropius »

Thanks for the info!

I was just looking up hinged tube connectors online but wanted to confirm that the OD of the support guide tubes and the legs. Thanks for the links.

I will call Shopsmith about the special crank bolt. I am sure I could fabricate something from miscellaneous parts I have around and probably figure out a way to sleeve something to work with a shoulder bolt of some sort, but I might be worth it to just buy the knob and screw, if available, and pay the $12 premium for the small order for shipping. I am sure there is SOMETHING I can add to the order to lessen the pain, lol.

The problem with starting to hunt for parts to bring the 1987 unit back up to snuff is that it reminds me how much I enjoy tinkering with the machines when I can find time....it is addictive especially when so much information and parts are readily available!
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Have a look at McMaster # 4698T96.

I need two of those "speed-rail' type fittings ( long ago I bought two of 555627 leg kits but i just found out they only fit a model 500). Shopsmith will sell me ONE tube fitting for $47.43. No thanks.

The Hollaender 17E-5 3/4" looks like an identical match, but I also looked at McMaster and they have the above-mentioned item which might work (and less money) - but I have not bought yet.

Frankly, I would rather have a rigid tee than the swivel type, so maybe I will get the rigid type (McMaster # 4698T91). Either way, a savings - if they fit.

Anyone bought/used these or know of a retail source for these type of fittings?
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

SteveMaryland wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:56 am Have a look at McMaster # 4698T96.

I need two of those "speed-rail' type fittings ( long ago I bought two of 555627 leg kits but i just found out they only fit a model 500). Shopsmith will sell me ONE tube fitting for $47.43. No thanks.

The Hollaender 17E-5 3/4" looks like an identical match, but I also looked at McMaster and they have the above-mentioned item which might work (and less money) - but I have not bought yet.

Frankly, I would rather have a rigid tee than the swivel type, so maybe I will get the rigid type (McMaster # 4698T91)
. Either way, a savings - if they fit.

Anyone bought/used these or know of a retail source for these type of fittings?
Steve,

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I went down a rabbit hole a while back trying to look online for alternative fittings to do this. I found many brands but could not really find anything suitable, but your suggestion looks perfect. I also would prefer a rigid fitting to a swivel one. In my opinion, the Shopsmith legs would be more usable to me with a rigid fitting, so I am going to give this a try. Thanks again! :)

P.S. IF you have any good suggestions for replacement legs let me know. When I was down the rabbit hole, I was really hoping to find something more akin to a camera tripod or monopod legs. You know the type that telescope with a cam lock instead of the twist lock that Shopsmith has. With a cam lock it would be so much easier to use one hand to hold the leg and set the height and use the other hand to push the cam. The twist lock always seems to settle a bit while locking. In short, I would really like a better performing complete replacement for the Shopsmith legs...or at least that is what I have been shopping for.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I think the Shopsmith leg (referring just to the leg, # 514529) is already a friction-cam mechanism. The good thing about them is they will lock at any length within the range. I have had no trouble getting them to lock - just need both hands to do it. You do not want an adjustable leg that locks only at specific detents, such as I have seen on some tripods.

One good thing about the 514529 leg is it has a much-improved rubber foot - wider and beefier than the previous rubber foot. I am hoping that the combination of 514529 + a rigid tee fitting will result in a significant improvement in outboard support.

PS I just looked at McMaster again, and 4698T91 may not be a through-bore tee. McMaster 4698T14 is definitely a through-bore tee.

PSS McMaster just told me that the 4698T91 tee is a thru-bore. So either tee would work for a Shopsmith application.

PSSS Just ordered 4 of the 4698T91 so if they don't work I will advise.
Last edited by SteveMaryland on Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

Take a look at this on Shopsmithereens on Facebook from Geoffrey Baker. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1121726 ... tid=oMANbw
Well, this will get you to Facebook but not the specific post. :( More for me to learn about facebook I guess. :o . I have a set of the telescoping legs but bending over to adjust them more of a problem than it used to be so I am making a set like Geoffrey invented. He called them the Shopsmith Speedleg.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

SteveMaryland wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:56 am Have a look at McMaster # 4698T96.

It looks like the notched end would fit the 510/520 tables too. Currently I use a roller stand raised up under the edge of the table.

I bought two of these at Lowe's. I will change the rivet to get a less sloppy fit. The set screws are very big but the price was right.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SteelTek-3-4-i ... 1000494939
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

larryhrockisland wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:18 pm Take a look at this on Shopsmithereens on Facebook from Geoffrey Baker. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1121726 ... tid=oMANbw
Well, this will get you to Facebook but not the specific post.
:( More for me to learn about facebook I guess. :o . I have a set of the telescoping legs but bending over to adjust them more of a problem than it used to be so I am making a set like Geoffrey invented. He called them the Shopsmith Speedleg.
Larry,

Thanks. I think I found the original link on FB you wanted to post (see below). I don't use FB much and it is kinda awkward to get links to specific posts to share. They don't make it easy. I like Geoff's design because it looks easy to adjust the height after you lock it in. Nice! :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1121726 ... 759612956/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Thanks, that’s the one I was trying for..
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER