Urethane bandsaw tires walling off wheels?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ribertgropius
Bronze Member

Urethane bandsaw tires walling off wheels?

Post by ribertgropius »

About 5 years ago I purchased and installed a set of orange replacement tires on my older bandsaw (1960's vintage). The last time I used it I found the tire on the top wheel kept trying to walk off the wheel. Back when I installed them I cleaned off all the glue left from the old rubber tires, but the bandsaw gets very, very infrequent use.

1. Does it make sense to try to glue them in place?
2. Should I try buying a new set of tires to see if they stay in better?
3. Should I bite the bullet and buy new wheels?

Thoughts? Thanks.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Urethane bandsaw tires walling off wheels?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JMO , If the condition of the tires are bad replace them, I have used windshield glue from the auto shop with good results .the new tires should come with adhesive .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
ribertgropius
Bronze Member

Post by ribertgropius »

I was reading reviews this evening about the orange urethane tires from Shopsmith after I made my post: apparently I am not the only one.who has had this issue. Lots of users have reported issues with the urethane tires falling off the wheels. I bet what happens is the blade gets warm, heats up the urethane tire and it expands, and off they want to go on their "walk." Mine is an older unit; perhaps the old brass rollers might cause more of an issue than the newer bearings because of more friction/heat against the blade? When the tire came off the last time, the blade took a nice chunk out of the blade guard I had recently replaced, but I suppose that is better than my finger!

I saw advertisements for Blue Max urethane tires for Shopsmiths that seemed to have good reviews; has anyone used them? For now I will try the glue since my orange tires look fine (if they will stay in place). If they come off again, I will replace them with either rubber tires or maybe try the Blue Max ones.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

FWIW the windshield glue bonds rubber to metal , not sure about the urethane . I ordered OEM replacement tires a few years ago when I was having issues but haven had to install them yet since the wsg is holding . I had seen many adds for the other tires but have not used them . JMO
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

When my orange Shopsmith tire flew off, I switched to Blue Max. No issues.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I had some of the urethane tires for a while but I switched back to the black rubber tires from SS. I much prefer the black tires. just my opinion
Bill V
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

This may not be much help, but I have used the Blue Max Urethane Tires on one Bandsaw. I didn't use it a lot and I have since sold the Bandsaw they are on. They seemed to work okay, and I remember they had to be stretched quite a bit to get them on. I haven't tried the Shopsmith orange Urethane Tires even though I have a set. I chose to replace the tires on my regularly used Bandsaw with the glued-on rubber tires after another discussion about Bandsaw Tires here on the Forum. The Urethane Tires do not use glue to hold them in place but have to be stretched on over the wheel. Since I never tried them, I don't know how the Shopsmith orange Urethane Tires compare to the Blue Max Urethane Tires. It is their elasticity that keeps them in place. If they lose that elasticity from heat, wear and/or time they will come off.

I had a Bandsaw that the rubber tires looked like they had baked in the sun. They were cracked all around the wheel and came off in little chunks as I removed them. With cracks going front to back on the wheels and no longer than a 1/2" apart the tires were still well attached and could be used keeping the blade tracking properly. I wish I had taken some pictures of it. For me, I think that says a lot about the rubber tires. I have already skipped using them once and I don't know if I will ever use the set of Shopsmith orange Urethane Tires I have.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I have read a similar discussion on these tires before, but in neither that discussion nor this one have i seen anyone present a good reason to use the urethane tires. Because my old rubber tires are cracked and worn, although not as bad as Russ’s, a few months ago I bought a set of the orange urethan tires. I have been slow to install them, and now since I’ve read about the problems many people have had with them, I will probably be like Russ and not ever use them.

I would like to know if there is a good reason to use the blue urethane tires. What are the pros and cons, and why would you go with one over the other?

Thanks.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Majones1 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:41 am I have read a similar discussion on these tires before, but in neither that discussion nor this one have i seen anyone present a good reason to use the urethane tires. Because my old rubber tires are cracked and worn, although not as bad as Russ’s, a few months ago I bought a set of the orange urethan tires. I have been slow to install them, and now since I’ve read about the problems many people have had with them, I will probably be like Russ and not ever use them.

I would like to know if there is a good reason to use the blue urethane tires. What are the pros and cons, and why would you go with one over the other?

Thanks.
=====================

Only know what I have read , they claim urethane tires won't turn brittle .
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

:D Yeah, they simply fall off!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange