Anyone have the band saw extension table?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Anyone have the band saw extension table?

Post by algale »

Does anyone have the band saw extension table (p/n 555488 Bandsaw Table Extension https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... bleext.htm )? Do you like it? How much extra width does it give you?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

bainin
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone have the band saw extension table?

Post by bainin »

I do, to be honest, the only time I use it is to pull it open it so I can change blades. You have to extend it as the tubes projecting under the table block the slot which your blade slides thru to get out .

never tired cutting such big circles as they are showing in that diagram.

b
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Any idea how far can it extend and provide support?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It consists of two rods, a 'rail' and two thumb screws. Seems flimsy, but is actually quite effective.

Maximum extension is slightly over 10.5 ".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:03 pm It consists of two rods, a 'rail' and two thumb screws. Seems flimsy, but is actually quite effective.

Maximum extension is slightly over 10.5 ".
Thanks!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have it on my main Bandsaw which has the Aluminum Table and have used it. It does work well even as JPG noted. It is also needed to use the circle cutter on the Bandsaw which I also have and have used. Like bainin it does get moved out and back in more often to change blades than actually used. I leave the Extension on the Bandsaw but store the Circle Cutter separate. I bought mine with the Bandsaw Accessory Kit (P/N 555668) which includes the Fence, Extension and Circle Cutter.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:57 pm I have it on my main Bandsaw which has the Aluminum Table and have used it. It does work well even as JPG noted. It is also needed to use the circle cutter on the Bandsaw which I also have and have used. Like bainin it does get moved out and back in more often to change blades than actually used. I leave the Extension on the Bandsaw but store the Circle Cutter separate. I bought mine with the Bandsaw Accessory Kit (P/N 555668) which includes the Fence, Extension and Circle Cutter.
I bought mine the same as you. I use it as much for the circle cutter as a table extension. However it works very well as a table extension. It is very solid and lines up with the top of the table even at full extension.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks to all who responded. I have it and the circle cutter on order.

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The circle cutter works great as long as you get the pivot lined up with the blade. The instructions are very clear. If you get it off just a little bit there will be problems. It is not a problem as long as you get it aligned according to the instructions and it will work very well.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I have the table extension and have used it so little that I can't remember when I used it last. I don't recall having an issue with it. The extension and circle cutter came with my saw. I have never used the circle cutter. It is still in the bag it came in. Bothe came with the saw when I bought it.

If I needed one for a project I would buy it. Otherwise, I would not buy it unless I ran across a bargain.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory