Lock N' Load Quick Change Bit Holder stuck

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Lock N' Load Quick Change Bit Holder stuck

Post by reible »

Trouble in the new year. This bit holder has locked on to the bit or has the bit locked on to the holder..... anyway they are not parting company.

I have used the holder a lot and it has never done this. I have used bits from the set but I can't say I ever used this particular bit before. So I have guess it something to do with the drill bit holder.

It was cold in the shop and I thought perhaps bringing it indoors and letting it warm up would help, it did not. Not sure where to go from here. Hate to loose either piece but I don't want to leave it be either.
tm.jpg
tm.jpg (116.32 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Anyone have this happen and did you solve it?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Lock N' Load Quick Change Bit Holder stuck

Post by JPG »

Does the knurled part both slide and or rotate. Does it not not do so? Do you know if there is a ball bearing that slides in a bore that provides he locking?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The device has a sliding portion that is pulled back to release the bit and yes it appears to at least slide as expected. Inside are three spring arms that let the bit side in and then grab as the sliding part returns to its normal state. Pulling back slide should allow the bit to pull back by. With the slide pulled back the springs should not be catching on anything but??

The bit has the three indents for balls, or these type holders and I have used them before with no problems but can't say I used this size before.

Ed
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I have some quick change bits (drill & countersink/screw driver) that use a similar retention system. If they get a bit of sawdust in the socket they do tend to jam up and be hard to remove.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Upped my game and sprayed some lube in it. Thinking if it was saw dust that might loosen it enough, no change so I then went on to resorting to grab the bit with a pliers and pulling. Nothing is happening. Have no idea what is happening inside but it sure is locked tight.

If I put much more effort into it I fear that something is going to be damaged but I guess I have no choice. When I go out later we are going full on brute force.

I think the lock n' load is about $7 and the bit set I'm not really happy with so replacing them maybe in the works if damage occurs.

Ed
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Try sewing machine oil in the slot to fill it up and loosen the bit, then push the bit back into the quick release. I'd be willing to bet you have something jammed or frozen in the base. Ultrasonic cleaner works great for fixing these kinds of things. I've had great success with mine. Might also chuck it up in the drillpress and give it a good spin to use centrifugal force to work oil into the ball releases.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

More force = it is apart. The two parts are both damaged beyond what I would feel comfortable using again. I managed to drop the two of them together twice today. Not sure if either or both contributed to bending the bit but even with my attempting to fix that issue it is still too bent to use.

The holder may have had an issue before this but for sure it does now. One of the three fingers doesn't retract. Not sure of the starting state so it could have been that way or it could be from my subsequent actions. Not going to try it again....... to the recycle bit with it.

And yes there are pictures.
apart10.jpg
apart10.jpg (200.9 KiB) Viewed 764 times
apart11.jpg
apart11.jpg (96.63 KiB) Viewed 764 times
apart12.jpg
apart12.jpg (100.85 KiB) Viewed 764 times
Menard's has a 15% off bag sale so if they have one I can replace it tomorrow. Hope this was just a one off.

Ed