Beginning Pen Turning

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bgeagle
Gold Member

Beginning Pen Turning

Post by bgeagle »

I need advice on beginning pen turning. Do I need a pen turning kit and what about a special chuck for my Mark 5? Is there anything else I need? Thanks for some advice.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Beginning Pen Turning

Post by wa2crk »

The Mark 5 drill chuck should be OK for pen turning. You might get the pen mandrel and a Shopsmth adapter from Penn State Industries. Get a book on pen turning also available from PSI. PSI also has a free pen turning DVD which will help a lot.
Bill V
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

bgeagle,

I'd recommend a special Shopsmith pen mandrel, https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/mercha ... =shopsmith, and a mandrel saver for #2MT (#2 Morse Taper) for the tailstock, https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/mercha ... drel+saver.

Next, suggest getting cheap slimline pen kits and maybe a few spare tubes for slimlines.

You'll also need some CA glue to glue the tubes in the wood blanks. Of course, wood or other material for blanks, about 3/4" square by at least 4-1/2" long but maybe you already have scrap that you can use. Some sort of finish, depending on the look you're trying to get, from friction polish to CA glue to traditional.

There are other tools that make life easier, such as squaring off the blanks after drilling, drilling guides, assembly tools, etc., but you can get by without especially using the Shopsmith.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
bgeagle
Gold Member

Post by bgeagle »

I also have found that I can't seem to position the tool rest close enough to the lathe to turn the pen. I don't understand. I have the 520 table and all the accessories but it appears the tool rest just won't reach the work???
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

bgeagle wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:20 am I also have found that I can't seem to position the tool rest close enough to the lathe to turn the pen. I don't understand. I have the 520 table and all the accessories but it appears the tool rest just won't reach the work???
Are you using a two position tool rest? I didn't go out to the shop to measure, but I think the problem you describe would occur when combining a pre-510 tool rest arm with a 510 and on carriage.

ETA: I went out to the shop and confirmed that a two position tool rest will reach beyond the center of the spindle on a 510/520 carriage. So for now I think you are using one of several old style (pre-510) tool rests compatible with the narrower carriage.

- David
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Also, I have been coached that extending the Headstock Quill helps with this tool-rest accomodation.

Good luck!
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

bgeagle wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:20 am I also have found that I can't seem to position the tool rest close enough to the lathe to turn the pen. I don't understand. I have the 520 table and all the accessories but it appears the tool rest just won't reach the work???
Could you post a picture of how you have it set up, that would help pin point the problem. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Twosheddz
Silver Member

Post by Twosheddz »

ImageI second the motion of the shopsmith mandrel and mandrel saver from pennstateind.com(PSI). start with lower end kits like funline and slimline. You can even get pre-cut and drilled blanks for those there. I'd use epoxy at first, but you'll need to let it cure longer before turning. A box of 1 inch wide rolls of 5 different sandpaper grits from PSI is very handy. EEE paste and Shellawax for the finish. I drilled a hole in a piece of scrap to fit over the quill and use it to press the pen together. For these kits, the pre drilled blanks are 9/16". You'll need 5/8" blanks if drilling your own until you move to bigger tube sizes. This is for wood blanks. If you are doing acrylic, disregard all but the first two sentences. I'd also recommend the lathe chisel sharpening guide from SS.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Use a lot of care to not get glue inside the tubes especially if you use epoxy.
One pen kit manufacturer says to put some play dough in the ends of the tubes to prevent this
Bill V
WoOdbEmE33
Silver Member

Post by WoOdbEmE33 »

I am by no means a shopsmith or pen turning expert but I will say the Pen State Shopsmith specific mandrel and mandrel saver are very good for turning pens on the shopsmith
Also I use this instead of a pen press .. Works extremely well..... https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKLPRESS.html
place the MT2 tapered piece with the plastic head in your pin jaw chuck and the other MT2 taper in the tailstock. use the quill to press.
I can drill blanks, Trim tubes and Blanks, turn, finish and press all on the shopsmith