:: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

docmirror
Gold Member

:: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Post by docmirror »

OK, special thread rules apply now. In order to post in this thread - you have to decode the subject! (whisper it in my ear and then post). :p

Meet Castor:
SS_drill press.jpg
SS_drill press.jpg (149.96 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Well, I have my drill press which was the start of my entry into the SS world. This came from my airplane buddy hangar.

Here's Pollux:
SS_saw_lathe.jpg
SS_saw_lathe.jpg (377.17 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
I just picked this up from a town nearby. Went down to get the drill chuck. He wanted $200 for the whole thing, but it wouldn't spin much. I gave him $100 and we loaded it up. I got the drive belt cover off, and it's set on high speed. Also, the upper grooved belt is very loose. The motor turns very slow. I'm guessing the bearings are frozen, or the intermediate shaft bearings are dragging. Having it at the high speed doesn't help at all. I started to take the end frame off the ways, and it got cold so I gave up for the night. I'll get the headstock apart, and clean and lube. Maybe swap some bearings, I bet it'll move.

Some interesting differences between the two. Castor has smooth ways, with no gear rack. Does not like to move on the ways. Not an issue as it'll be locked in place mostly for drilling. Pollux has a gear rack and the headstock moves freely on the ways. The various locking handles are slightly different design and casting. Castor has an aftermarket fwd/bkwd power switch I think. It's a rotary style, I've never seen before. Some stenciling is different as well. Pollux has the vac system installed, I may move that over to Castor, but not sure right now.

My buckets of attachments:
SS_attachments.jpg
SS_attachments.jpg (387.73 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Lathe cutters(where's the tool rest?), jig saw, air comp, cable snake of death(coiled, of course), a steady rest(what we call it in the metal world), and the green sheet formed tin on the left I have no clue. May go mess with it all tomorrow for a while.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: :: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Post by algale »

Well, it look more like a total of IX/Xths of a Mark VII. But perhaps you'll find that last I/Xth in one of those buckets.

Regarding Castor's smooth ways, from what I understand those tracks could get brittle with age and so as they broke a lot of owners just removed the remnants. Castor has also lost its original Mark VII table/carriage, which has been replaced with a table/carriage combo from a later Mark V 510.

Pollux looks to be in a bit more original condition at least with the table/carriage and tracked ways. If the tracks are in good condition and the mechanism that moves the carriage and headstock on the tracks is properly operating, I might consider using that for the drill press as it might enable easier adjustment of the distance between the headstock and the table while in drill press mode. Also, Pollux comes with its original Mark VII aux table (under the compressor) and I think I remember reading it can be used in drill press mode to brace the main table and make a more solid set up. But I leave it to the Mark VII experts to chime in.

I'll look forward to seeing more of the restoration.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. If Castor's headstock actually has the geared rack drive to traverse, I would be wise to put Castor headstock on the Pollux frame so it will be easier to adjust the table height for drilling. I'll need to look carefully at the track drive for the ways on Castor headstock. Maybe there are actually a set of pinion gears there that I just missed. Or - I could move the Pollux gear drive over to Castor headstock(hopefully), and then would have the height adjustment.

As for the various table issues, I don't know what I'm looking at yet, but I'll dig in and check the documentation I have from Castor to see if there's a mention of aux table. Anyway, as I move forward, I can do some drilling while I sort through the matrix of possibles. I would like to hook up the compressor and see if that blows. Wonder if a new diaphragm is avail from SS?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not sure how/why the castor table carriage is reversed on the way tubes. Some other interesting 'changes' including the 510 table rubber spacer on the quill and something in the quill anti-rotation set screw hole. If doing as Algale suggested re an aux table, IIWM, I would use a M5 aux table and keep the MVII for use use a main table width extender.

Ya need to get real cozy with evaporust and/or electrolysis rust removal.

When removing the end castings to remove the headstock do realize that the floating ends of the bench and way tubes will be unsupported.

Bon Apetite
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Hmmm, not knowing the orientation of the table on the legs, I just dropped it into the tailstock frame and tilted it. I guess I can swap it around, or use the aux table. Will need to have a closer look. I'll get some evaporust on my way down and do some cleaning.

Yes, on the headstock removal. I'll make up a support like I saw on the MK VII restoration threads. I want to get Pollux headstock off and make up a parts list to call in. Knowing I need the upper belt and likely some bearings.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Tailstock frame??? That might explain the unusual carriage orientation.

Something is fer sure not as it came from Magna American.

Evaporust is not a "cleaner". :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since you now have 2 Mark VII's you have the option of how to proceed. If they were mine, I would clean up and remove rust from all the parts, decide which is the best of each part and use that on the tool to keep and use. Something I am doing with a pair of Mark 2's. I am not saying you need to do a complete restoration, but a good reconditioning will make it a nicer tool to use. I also see Castor has a drill chuck. Since you plan on using it mainly as a Drill Press having the racks to move the Headstock on the way tubes will be helpful. If the racks are brittle or damaged, you could get a set of 3D printed ones as a replacement. I have seen these for sale on ebay. You mentioned trying the Air Compressor and wondered if Shopsmith still sells the diaphragm. They do not. That Air Compressor is from the 1950's and 1960's. Do know that the Jig Saw is no longer made and Shopsmith no longer makes replacement parts for it either. Suffice it to say any parts needed for your Mark VII, Jig Saw or Air Compressor will have to be found on the used market. There is still some good news in that some newer or current Shopsmith items can still be used on your Mark VII. The Mark V Model 510/505 Table and Carriage you have is an example. That may be the reason you have the Lower Saw Blade Guard for it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

JPG wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:43 pm Tailstock frame??? That might explain the unusual carriage orientation.

Something is fer sure not as it came from Magna American.

Evaporust is not a "cleaner". :D

Apparently, I've used the incorrect nomenclature. The slidey thing on the ways that holds the table. In metal working, it would be the 'tailstock'. In SS vernacular it is the 'carriage'. BTW, I did not say evaporust was a "cleaner". I said I would get some Evaporust - and - "do some cleaning".

"Table" orientation on the "carriage" appears to be the same as what is shown in the owners manual for drill press. I think.

The guide channel for the T-square(I'm likely using the wrong word here too) is on the same side as the speed control, and the table appears to be the same one used for table sawing, with the slot cutout. Or - I could have min-interpreted the picture.

Edit to add: Well, I did find a seller of repl racks for the Mk VII on ebay. Will get those and get Castor new racks for drilling.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ya nomenclature varies!

The carriage(the thing that secures the table and tool rest in both the wood and metal genre) appears to be mounted with the controls(hand wheel) on the opposite side than what is "typical". Also the table is reversed from typical table saw orientation.

More details re the carriage and table posts will help clarify just how it got "atypical".

You are aware that you will need 4 pieces that the guy on e-bay makes for a complete rack?

Somewhere I showed how to mount them with extra holes needed and pop rivets.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

A-yup. I see it now. The traversing wheel on the carriage is on the opposite side from the controls on headstock. When the carriage was put on by the PO, he put it on backwards. Gonna hafta swap that when I put the racks on the ways on Castor. Pollux has the proper orientation of carriage.

Yes, will get 4 track bits for the ways to do both tubes.

Nomenclature; note the 'carriage' on SS would be the 'tailstock' on a metal lathe, and the 'tailstock' on a SS would be a 'steady rest' on a metal lathe. I'm a metal guy in a wood world.