:: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: :: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Post by JPG »

Re aux shaft end flat grind: Yes with a taper. Flat stops short of end(look at quill shaft flat).

P.S.new subject - I have stated that the quill/splined shaft of the MVII is shorter than a M5/V. I have recently acquired a supposedly MVII quill. It appears to be identical to a M5/V. I'se confused! Could you measure your two quills? Body length and splined shaft extension? TIA(for everything!!!)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Brief update. I have the thread die for the end threads, and I've marked out the short hole where the keyway ends. I'm going to drill the shafts first and then I will cut the keyway, or I'll have my buddy cut them, and I can turn the depression in the end, and groove for snap ring easy.

On another related note, I tested my air compressor today, and it worked perfect. I also cleaned up the Freddy Kruger flex power cable of death and tested that. I put a 10" saw blade on the end of it, and started sawing a piece of 2x4, and as expected, neared sawed a gouge into my right leg. I should put on a hockey mask, and hoodie and fire that thing up and take a pic. It's awesomely awful to handle.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

docmirror wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:50 pm Brief update. I have the thread die for the end threads, and I've marked out the short hole where the keyway ends. I'm going to drill the shafts first and then I will cut the keyway, or I'll have my buddy cut them, and I can turn the depression in the end, and groove for snap ring easy.

On another related note, I tested my air compressor today, and it worked perfect. I also cleaned up the Freddy Kruger flex power cable of death and tested that. I put a 10" saw blade on the end of it, and started sawing a piece of 2x4, and as expected, neared sawed a gouge into my right leg. I should put on a hockey mask, and hoodie and fire that thing up and take a pic. It's awesomely awful to handle.
What? That's a perfectly safe accessory for the entire family to use (simultaneously), and I have photo evidence to prove it!

10ER family multitasking circa 1950.jpg
10ER family multitasking circa 1950.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Homemade ice cream, anyone?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

docmirror wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:50 pm Brief update. I have the thread die for the end threads, and I've marked out the short hole where the keyway ends. I'm going to drill the shafts first and then I will cut the keyway, or I'll have my buddy cut them, and I can turn the depression in the end, and groove for snap ring easy.

Am I understanding you correctly? You put a 10" saw blade on a flex shaft and tried to use it? Please say that is not true. :eek: :eek: :eek: Ware did you get the idea that was a way to use the flex shaft?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:32 pm

What? That's a perfectly safe accessory for the entire family to use (simultaneously), and I have photo evidence to prove it!

I bet NOTHING was rotating when that pix was snapped. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

jsburger wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:05 pm

Am I understanding you correctly? You put a 10" saw blade on a flex shaft and tried to use it? Please say that is not true. :eek: :eek: :eek: Ware did you get the idea that was a way to use the flex shaft?
Who said it was safe? I surely didn't. In fact, I called it the Freddy Kruger cable of death. I just had the blade handy, and mounted it up. I don't mind admitting my mistakes, and adding a little entertainment along the way. Know what I don't need? I don't need another MOMMY. I had one, she's dead and so far I still have all 20 fingers and toes thankyouvermuch.
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:32 pm

I - love - that - pic! :)
The girl has not one, but two of the cables of death joined together. As if it wasn't deadly enough already, lets put a second cable on and really get some damage in. Maybe she can take out dad, or a kid with it. lolz...
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

OK, this has gone on long enough. Here's where I am. I've broken two costly tool bits trying to use my vert mill as a horz mill and cut those keyways. This has to stop, so I stopped. I'm never going to get through the keyway job unless I use a grinding tool and horz mill, and I'm not gonna do that.

So, just as no plan survives first contact with the enemy, I am adapting in hopes I can vanquish this foe. I fired up the MIG, and bought some -6, .025 wire and got busy. First I tried to clean up the shafts best I could, and get all the gunk out of the metal. I pre-heated a bit and went in and welded up the shafts where the bearing races had beaten it like a poor step-child. So far so good. I got a few passes with the grinding wheel to knock down the big bumps and chucked one of them up in the old Cincinnati lathe. I got a few small cuts made before I had to head for work. But, making progress finally.

Sad part is, I have 3 shafts of 5/8" cold rolled I'll likely never use. Maybe I can sell on ebay or CL. The last part of the trouble is going to be cutting the notch for the snap ring. I have the snap rings needed, and will grind out a cut-off bit as narrow as I can. It's going to be slow going cutting that notch. Maybe finished next wed or thur.