Under The Mk V Cabinet

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

Under The Mk V Cabinet

Post by ericolson »

Gents;

I've had several inquiries about the plan from Hands On! magazine. My sincere apologies for not getting them out ASAP. I've had to manuever my laptop around the house as I've got a cleaning crew in here tearing up the carpet and chemical cleaning the house from top to bottom. I WILL get you the plans out as soon as I possibly can. Please make sure you include your private e-mail address in your request so I can send it direct to you. I will BCC the e-mail-out to ensure your privacy.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I built the cabinet from the plans many many years ago. After using it for a while I did a second design (sorry no pictures of that). While that fit my needs better then the first design it too was found lacking. So yes I made a third.

You can see the general look of it here:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2310297266

As you can see it has drawers on both ends and an open area in the middle. You can also see mounting ears as did my versions 1 and 2. (Not pictured is the fact it is on casters so it can be rolled around all by itself.) After having to deal with several issues I decided to change that by cutting the ears off and no longer moving the shelf and cabinet together. For me this was a major improvement as I require the shopsmith to be very moble.

You will also note the wall hanging with various parts hanging on it... I need to update that now due to the change of the machine from a 500 to a 520.
When I got a used 510 (now a 520) I started on yet another way of do cabinets/storage space for that. You can see that here:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2310294893

In this case I have a set of 4 drawers that clip on/off the shopsmith and in this case the drawers are 2" deep. Below that are plywood cabinets on casters. The drawers are sold by leevalley.com and come in 1", 2", or 3" heights and you can exchange a 1" and 2" for a 3" etc. I have only two of the 4 cabinets built at this point but plan to use loose pin hinges to keep the cabinets together....

Not pictured is a set of two shopsmith cabinets I have for even more storage space...... and a pegboard door with hanging items, a workbench with drawers of shopsmith items and some large shelf space for larger attachments for the shopsmith. For such a compact tool it sure requires a lot of storage space.......

Feel free to see the other items I have pictured at the photo site and remember you can click on a picture to see it larger.

Ed
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Ed;

Nice! I'm planning on, one day, rebuilding my cabinet to better suit my needs. I think you know how it goes, though: "one of these days..."
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have added the parts that connect cabinet to cabinet so if you are interested you can see the pictures here:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/elv60504@sb ... 2310294893

For more details:
http://www.ssug.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6819

Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

reible wrote: Feel free to see the other items I have pictured at the photo site and remember you can click on a picture to see it larger.

Ed

What is the wood across the two upper rails used for?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

That is a lamp holder for one of those lamps that has a short post on it and normally mounts to a desk... arms, springs, reflector sort of lamp. I use it sometimes in drill press mode.

I have two other projects in the works but in those cases the "bracket" would be between the headstock and carriage or after the carriage. I don't think those have made it in to any pictures and they are not yet ready to use or talk about... maybe someday if I get a few bugs worked out.

Ed
one4snow
Bronze Member

post links

Post by one4snow »

Hello Reible,

I was excited to find this thread because I have the same problem that most SS users have, no room to store all my parts and pieces for my Mark V. I have been reading this thread in the hopes of building my own under Mark V storage. Unfortuantely the links for the pictures are no longer working because yahoo pictures is closing and refers the user to Flicker. Any possibility you could post the pictures again?

Tahnk you
one4snow
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The links should still be working, or at least when I just tried them they still were.

Yahoo photo is closing down in favor of another of their photo areas called "flickr". I was told they would be moving accounts but gave very little other information. I was lead to think this would be somewhere like Sept 20??? maybe I have to go read up on this again.

I really don't want to have to go back to every post I made with a link and redo it so I'm not sure what I'll do.... The reason I decided to do links is because two other forums I've been on did system upgrades and lost all the pictures I had posted... well, not just mine but everyones. I thought this would be safer but looks like not so....

Anyway I'm going to be out of town for the next couple of weeks so good luck with the links..... that is the best I can do for now.

Ed