Obtained a Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

droughton
Silver Member

Obtained a Shopsmith

Post by droughton »

Hello all!!! I obtained a Shopsmith a couple of days ago. According to the serial# (SS 12664) it is around a 76/77ish model. It came with several attachments to include Jointer, Jigsaw and belt sander. It came with other items such as the biscuit cutter with several biscuits and mortise and tenon jigs in the original boxes and lathe chisels (never been used). Lots of other items in a large box. I am the third owner, but it looks like it has not seen much action in the past. Not a bad deal I think for 500 with all the extras. I do know I will have to purchase a power coupler (Have the hubs), a drill chuck and some of the lathe centers. My first step will be maintenance and alignment. I did run the machine and it was smooth during testing. I am not new to woodworking and have several other standalone tools but always wanted a Shopsmith. Any words of advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2174.JPG (63.91 KiB) Viewed 11340 times
IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG (45.86 KiB) Viewed 11340 times
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG (46.56 KiB) Viewed 11340 times
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG (47.41 KiB) Viewed 11340 times
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Obtained a Shopsmith

Post by beeg »

First thing is clean it up, wax it. Then alignment.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Thanks Bob. I attempted to purchase some Johnson's paste wax and powered graphite and could not find it anywhere. I ordered the powered graphite from amazon but still have a few places to look for the wax.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

You don't list where you live, but Menards has Johnson's paste wax as well as the Minnwax brand. Many years ago I ordered from Shopsmith and they sent me Trewax brand. All those brands and probably many more work. You should be able to find it easily at one of your local stores. I see that Lowes and Home Depot also sell it.
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Hey Gary, I live in NC. Went to Lowes and didn't have it. I wish we had a Menards!!!! Lowes did have Minnwax but I was looking for Johnson's. Don't know if there would be much difference between the two of them.
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Looks like you found a very good used Shopsmith with accessories!

My suggestion would be, in addition to the waxing and other items already mentioned, first get into the sheaves and oil them at the recommended points. If this unit has been unused for some time, those points will need oil and you do not want to be using the speed control until they are oiled.

If you don't have them, get safety items from Shopsmith like push stick, featherboard, push block, riving knife 556223, and upper/lower saw guards.

Also, get printouts of the headstock and other equipment parts lists and component exploded views. Many of these can be found online thanks to some of the people on this forum.

Upgrading from 500 to 520 (555985) is an ouchie costwise but very desirable. Bigger table and much more robust fence.
Last edited by SteveMaryland on Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Thanks Steve. It did come with the upper and lower guards and some featherboards. It also has some other guards in boxes that I have not looked into yet or where they would even go. It also has a pulley guard. I will get some pics and post them. I do have some push blocks and will likely make a push stick. I would like to upgrade to the 520 but budget can't afford it right now, but it will happen.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You have received some good advice already. Do clean it up, wax it and align it. Do the maintenance recommended to which can be found in the Owner's Manual. Oiling the motor and idler shaft pulley sheaves along with using the graphite you are getting on the worm gear on the back of the speed changer will help keep it running smoothly. Minwax is a good substitute for Johnson's Paste Wax original formula. Shopsmith had included Minwax in the help kit instead of Johnson's Paste wax for a time.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Thanks Russ. I got 3 in 1 oil. I wanted to get an old fashion pump oil can but can't find one of those either. I was going to use 30wt oiling the motor and idler shaft pulley sheaves. Will 3 in 1 be okay to use or do I need 30wt??
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

droughton wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:16 pm Thanks Russ. I got 3 in 1 oil. I wanted to get an old fashion pump oil can but can't find one of those either. I was going to use 30wt oiling the motor and idler shaft pulley sheaves. Will 3 in 1 be okay to use or do I need 30wt??
You do NOT want 30wt. 3 in 1 is OK but, I suggest you get a zoom spout oilier. It is sometimes called turbine oil. The big box stores have it. The advantage is it has a very long pull out small diameter tube spout that will reach into the head stock. It is 10wt like 3 in 1.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT