Obtained a Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Obtained a Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:42 pm Ed,

The easiest thing to do would be to simply keep the old Hold-down assembly as shown in the OP's post and with the turn of a single set screw remove the new Hold-down and replace it with the old one for those time you may want the way the old one locks down.
+10!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Well sure it's easier if you have a butler to go turn set screws for you ! :D :D :rolleyes:
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Bottom line here is that you HAVE both. A SS is like an erector set/tinker toy thingie - any thing goes and thy imagination is the limiting factor.

Never Never Ever discard something simply because you currently use something else(upgrade etc.).

The advice of a confirmed/self admitted hoarder.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

All great tips and thanks. I have it cleaned up but still yet to use it but that time is coming soon.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

droughton,

Glad to hear you have it cleaned up and ready to go. Get to know how it works and what it can do for you. As JPG said
A SS is like an erector set/tinker toy thingie - any thing goes and thy imagination is the limiting factor.
As you may have noted already, we are very passionate about our Shopsmith Tools and I hope you enjoy using yours. One more thing, never be afraid to add pictures to your post. They can describe things that words cannot.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:47 pm Bottom line here is that you HAVE both. A SS is like an erector set/tinker toy thingie - any thing goes and thy imagination is the limiting factor.
Absolutely. My drill press is made from a Greenie and a 510 headstock. My 510 has the Greenie headstock casting upgraded to a PowerPro. Soon that Greenie headstock and PowerPro go back on the drill press with the rest of the Greenie parts because I acquired another PowerPro headstock to use on the 510.

I don't know how the market is in other locales but in the past few years I have purchased a few junkers around here for no more than $100 each that have given me an immense supply of parts, and they've come with extras like arbors, chucks, and even SPTS so I have spare parts for those too.
Never Never Ever discard something simply because you currently use something else(upgrade etc.).

The advice of a confirmed/self admitted hoarder.
How interesting, us curators say the same thing.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
belugaker
Bronze Member

Post by belugaker »

droughton wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:22 pm Hello all!!! I obtained a Shopsmith a couple of days ago. According to the serial# (SS 12664) it is around a 76/77ish model. It came with several attachments to include Jointer, Jigsaw and belt sander. It came with other items such as the biscuit cutter with several biscuits and mortise and tenon jigs in the original boxes and lathe chisels (never been used)& gbwhatsapp apk Lots of other items in a large box. I am the third owner, but it looks like it has not seen much action in the past. Not a bad deal I think for 500 with all the extras. I do know I will have to purchase a power coupler (Have the hubs), a drill chuck and some of the lathe centers. My first step will be maintenance and alignment. I did run the machine and it was smooth during testing. I am not new to woodworking and have several other standalone tools but always wanted a Shopsmith. Any words of advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I tried to find Johnson's paste wax, but couldn't find it anywhere. I purchased the powered graphite on Amazon, but have yet to find the wax in other places.
Last edited by belugaker on Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

belugaker wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:56 am
droughton wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:22 pm Hello all!!! I obtained a Shopsmith a couple of days ago. According to the serial# (SS 12664) it is around a 76/77ish model. It came with several attachments to include Jointer, Jigsaw and belt sander. It came with other items such as the biscuit cutter with several biscuits and mortise and tenon jigs in the original boxes and lathe chisels (never been used). Lots of other items in a large box. I am the third owner, but it looks like it has not seen much action in the past. Not a bad deal I think for 500 with all the extras. I do know I will have to purchase a power coupler (Have the hubs), a drill chuck and some of the lathe centers. My first step will be maintenance and alignment. I did run the machine and it was smooth during testing. I am not new to woodworking and have several other standalone tools but always wanted a Shopsmith. Any words of advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I tried to find Johnson's paste wax, but couldn't find it anywhere. I purchased the powered graphite on Amazon, but have yet to find the wax in other places.
Not sure where you are looking. Home Depot has had it in the past. It is currently available on Amazon. Ace Hardware also has it.

https://www.amazon.com/paste-wax/s?k=paste+wax

Do not use powdered graphite. It will get all over your wood. :eek:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Are you looking for FLOOR paste wax in the cleaning products aisle?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

I found some Johnson's Paste Wax I had stashed away in a box.