Obtained a Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Pauldharte
Bronze Member

Re: Parts needed Shopsmith

Post by Pauldharte »

Acquired a used SS 500. It is missing a few items. Where can I find these parts and accessories?
1. Disc sanding pads
2. Drill Chuck
3. Lathe live center& Chuck adapter
4. Jig saw blades
5. Bandsaw blades
6. A planer
7. Coupler drive
8. Stand for Bandsaw
9. Larger tool test for lathe
10. Jointer blades
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Obtained a Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

All but #8,#9 the mother ship.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Pauldharte,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. As JPG said all but # 8 and 9 can be purchased here new on the Shopsmith Website through the online catalog.

Your list has

1. Disc sanding pads - these are a consumable item. 12" diameter sanding disks can be ordered.
2. Drill Chuck - a new replacement can be ordered or can be found used, just make sure it attaches directly to the 5/8" spindle. Avoid rusted ones.
3. Lathe live center& Chuck adapter - Available new from the catalog or sometimes used.
4. Jig saw blades - these are standard 5" plain end blades the same as Scroll Saw Blades but only single direction cutting blades.
5. Bandsaw blades - these are 72" blades
6. A planer - the Mark Mount is available new from Shopsmith or can sometimes be found used including the Pro Planer standalone model.
7. Coupler drive - available from the online catalog.
8. Stand for Bandsaw - the bandsaw can be mounted for use on your Mark V using the coupler #7 above.
9. Larger tool test for lathe - by larger I believe you mean longer than 8"? The Lathe Tool Rest arm accepts a 3/4" diameter post.
10. Jointer blades - a replacement part available through the online catalog. The Jointer Knives have been the same since the first Model in 1953.

Although most of these items can be found used there are times it may be better to buy new when available. Used items may not be in good condition so check carefully if buying used since there is no warranty to fix a problem. Prices on used items can be a bargain but do check that against new from the factory prices as sometimes used parts are being sold for more than new. Also compare shipping costs.

You asked about a stand for the Bandsaw. Do you want it set up for use all the time and not on your Mark V? If so, that will require a stand with a motor and a belt with the correct diameter pulleys. You can make a stand. You can buy a used stand, when found, as Shopsmith had these in the past or buy a used Power Station which Shopsmith also sold in the past.

For a longer than 8" Lathe Tool Rest any one with a 3/4" diameter post to mount into the arm should work. My one concern would be going too long may allow enough pressure pushing down and inward during use on the end of the rest to flex/tilt the Rest out of line with the work.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ChrisHan
Silver Member

Post by ChrisHan »

edma194 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:22 am
JPG wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:47 pm Bottom line here is that you HAVE both. A SS is like an erector set/tinker toy thingie - any thing goes and thy imagination is the limiting factor.
Absolutely. My drill press is made from a Greenie and a 510 headstock. My 510 has the Greenie headstock casting upgraded to a PowerPro. Soon that Greenie headstock and PowerPro go back on the drill press with the rest of the Greenie parts because I acquired another PowerPro headstock to use on the 510.

I don't know how the market is in other locales but in the past few years I have purchased a few junkers around here for no more than $100 each that have given me an immense supply of parts, and they've come with extras like arbors, chucks, and even SPTS so I have spare parts for those too.
Never Never Ever discard something simply because you currently use something else(upgrade etc.).

The advice of a confirmed/self admitted hoarder.
How interesting, us curators say the same thing.
Hey Ed....anychance you have a jigsaw spt lock pin stashed away?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

ChrisHan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:47 pm
Hey Ed....anychance you have a jigsaw spt lock pin stashed away?
Sorry, just noticed this post. I doubt I have a spare one of those, I'm not positive I have all the parts for the jigsaw I have. If you can identify the part I could look through the collection of random unidentified parts for one. There is a jigsaw manual on Everett Davis' Google drive with a parts diagram at the end: viewtopic.php?p=185690#p185690

ETA: Now I see you're looking at this in another thread, and finding the help you need there.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
ChrisHan
Silver Member

Post by ChrisHan »

Thank you for your time. Found what I needed.
Abdullah90
Bronze Member

Post by Abdullah90 »

The simplest solution would be to keep the old Hold-down assembly as illustrated in the OP's post and, with a single set screw, remove the new Hold-down and replace it with the old one for those times when you prefer the way the old one locks down
Last edited by Abdullah90 on Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Abdullah90 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:22 pm The simplest solution would be to keep the old Hold-down assembly as illustrated in the OP's post and, with a single set screw, remove the new Hold-down and replace it with the old one for those times when you prefer the way the old one locks down
?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The poster added a hidden URL. Reported.

JPG,

The hidden URL is also in your quote of the OPs post.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:23 pm
Abdullah90 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:22 pm The simplest solution would be to keep the old Hold-down assembly as illustrated in the OP's post and, with a single set screw, remove the new Hold-down and replace it with the old one for those times when you prefer the way the old one locks down
?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝