Obtained a Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Obtained a Shopsmith

Post by edflorence »

droughton wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:29 pm I would like to upgrade to the 520 but budget can't afford it right now, but it will happen.
While you are waiting for the right time to upgrade to the 520, you might consider getting a second extension table and two front table extensions for your 500. Which, by the way, looks really clean...very nice find. Check around on Ebay...You can get a new 500 extension table from SS, but I don't think they are offering the front extensions anymore. But, with the front extensions in place and an extension table to the left and the right of the headstock you will find that the 500 can do very well in table saw mode.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

I do have two other tables with it besides the main table. I am not sure what is standard that came with it as I have not read up on it all the way. I wil look at ebay for the front extensions. Thanks for the tip!!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Welcome to the forum. Your machine looks great overall. On the Joiner, the guard is somehow under the fence. There might be a problem, possibly with the trunnion. But before you start, note that the fence adjusting lever is a two-position model. Pushing it in gives it control to loosen/tighten the fence angle. Pulling it out gives it control to loosen/tighten the lock for sliding the fence left/right. Over-tightening, possibly done in the past on yours, can pretty easily bend the trunnion assembly. This may cause it to be high enough above the infeed table to let the guard under the fence. Not saying this is what is wrong here, but generally the spring loaded guard should stop at the fence. The trunnion can sometimes be straightened, and is available new from SS.

- David
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Thanks David. I really haven't looked at the attachments that close. What I have seen is the jointer and jig saw appear to have never been used. The knifes are sharp with no nicks and there is no sawdust anywhere on those attachments. The belt sander has been used. Even the original sawblades have the paint still on them and are sharp. But I did notice the jointer and will look at that next after I complete the maintenence and adjustments on the power head and tables.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Before using them go over the SPT's which are the Special Purpose Tools and in your case the Jointer, Belt Sander and Jig Saw. Owner's Manuals for each would be helpful and hopefully were included in the sale. Already mentioned is the Jointer guard being under the fence. If there are damaged or bent parts in the Quadrant Assembly replacements can be ordered from Shopsmith. For any damage to the Quadrant Assembly, I would recommend buying new OEM replacement parts as opposed to used parts of unknown condition. Both the Belt Sander and the Jointer are still made and available so any needed replacement parts can still be found here on the Shopsmith website under Products - Service Parts. Upgrades to the Jointer and Belt Sander can be added to yours. This includes the Feather Guard Retro-fit Kit and the Dust Chute Retro-fit Kit. If you don't have it the Dust Chute is a great addition to older Jointers to keep things cleaner. The Belt Sander has had only one upgrade since its introduction which is a larger dust port going from the original 1-1/4" to a 2-1/2" port. It doesn't take long to know that Dust Collection is a helpful item when using these tools especially when using sanders.

The Jig Saw is no longer made and most, if any, replacement parts are no longer available from Shopsmith so they must be found on the used market. Before using the Jig Saw oil needs to be added to the Main Housing through a fill hole behind the Cover Plate (where the serial number is found) on the Hub Side. The mounting posts on your Jig Saw are inserted upside down. When properly aligned to your Mark V the snap rings of the mounting posts should rest against the top of the Headrest holes on your Mark V. This allows repeated mountings once it is set. On the Jointer and Belt Sander the eccentric offset of the mounting posts rest against the top of the Headrest Mounting holes. For the Jointer the shorter end goes into the Jointer mounting holes and for the Belt Sander the longer end goes into its mounting holes.

For more about SPT's, if you are interested, see the Thread SPT's What When and Where under the Community section at the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26072

If you want to know more about the history of the Mark V check out the Thread Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where at the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24963

It has been suggested you get Front Table Extensions for your Mark V which has the original Table System aka 500. If you decide to look for them do make sure you get the later version. The table's fence rail changed from a cast on to a bolt on rail and the lock for the Front Table Extensions were changed to accommodate that change in the fence rail. In the first picture below is the original version and note the lock and especially the end of it. In the second picture below is the later version with an extension to the lock which is the one you would need.

_
Front Table Extension V1 lock.jpg
Front Table Extension V1 lock.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
_
Front Table Extension V2 bottom.jpg
Front Table Extension V2 bottom.jpg (110.88 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Russ thanks for the tips!! I am attaching a photo of the extension table I have.
Attachments
IMG_2186.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG (46.22 KiB) Viewed 9580 times
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

I did some clean up today. I opened up the belt cover and excess hole and I took photos of it as I saw before doing any cleaning. I think who owned it took very good care of it. It has been stored up for many years. I did lubricate both Sheaves and put powdered graphite on the speed shaft/gear. Powered it up and it ran like a clock. Also, the speed adjustment was smooth. I took some photos of the attachments that came with it. Sorry for all the photos!!
Attachments
IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG (43.88 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2181.JPG (52.75 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG (40.31 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG (46.93 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG (62.94 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2186.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG (46.22 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG (46.8 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2190.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG (45.25 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2192.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG (46.36 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG (54.54 KiB) Viewed 9577 times
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

More photos
Attachments
IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2195.JPG (56.96 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG (52.93 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
IMG_2197.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG (51.23 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Can you tell me what this part is??
Attachments
IMG_2188.JPG
IMG_2188.JPG (56.71 KiB) Viewed 9575 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Looks like the hold down from the old style miter gauge. You have the new style on the miter gauge in the picture up top.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER