Adhesive Question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cmyk
Bronze Member

Adhesive Question

Post by cmyk »

I'm working on a bird feeder. The sides of the hopper are acrylic. I scrolled out a couple of silhouettes of birds and want to glue them to the acrylic. I tried CA glue but when handling the feeder to refill, being careful, the decorations fall off. (It's been chilly with temps around 0.) Thanks for reading and any suggestions.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Adhesive Question

Post by jsburger »

Warm up the feeder. Scratch up (sand paper) where the decorations will be and use a 2 part epoxy. Let it cure a few days before putting it out in 0° temps. I don't know how thick your decorations are but you can also drill from the inside through the acrylic and use small (#4) round head wood screws. I would use brass or stainless steel.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The thermal expansion/contraction of plastics is usually quite different from other materials, including other types of plastic. Temperature changes can easily force plastic pieces apart. Using wood screws as mentioned above is a good idea. Use over sized holes in the acrylic to allow for temperature changes.

Another approach, or in conjunction with screws is silicone glue. Simple clear silicone caulk/sealant could work. The glue will remain flexible at low temperatures.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

sounds like a fun project
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Apparently CA doesn't bond well to acrylic.

https://www.wikihow.com/Glue-Acrylic
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,