Share your Magna memorabilia!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jpdalton
Gold Member

Re: Share your Magna memorabilia!

Post by jpdalton »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:14 pm A 10ER lower blade guard was listed for a Buy it Now price of $39.99 and $17.00 shipping. It had been listed for about 4 hours. I couldn't click the Buy button fast enough.
Great find! Do you also have a lower belt guard?? I acquired a lower saw guard recently myself, and have seen a surprising number of those being available lately, but I only know one guy who has managed to get his hands on a lower belt guard...

Here's my saw guard in place on my machine also featuring an early table raising accessory.
IMG_9964.jpg
IMG_9964.jpg (231.96 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jpdalton said:

Do you also have a lower belt guard??
Yes, I actually have two of them. One I got on eBay. The other one I got from Skip Campbell. The pictures are of the one from Skip. It is "new old stock" You can see from the mounting tabs that it has never been installed.
Attachments
20220414_125812.jpg
20220414_125812.jpg (124.29 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
20220414_125857.jpg
20220414_125857.jpg (145.39 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
20220414_125824.jpg
20220414_125824.jpg (143.01 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
20220414_125839.jpg
20220414_125839.jpg (112.65 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

On July 19 John had said
Probably the rarest of the Model 10 accessories is the lower blade guard. My wife an I were on a road trip last week. We were in Durango CO on Thursday. I had my lap top with me and when we checked into the hotel I checked eBay at about 1400. A 10ER lower blade guard was listed for a Buy it Now price of $39.99 and $17.00 shipping. It had been listed for about 4 hours. I couldn't click the Buy button fast enough. The price was unbelievable. If it had been put on eBay as a bid item it would have easily gone for well over $100.00 I am sure.

There are a few Model 10 accessories that are in the same class as the lower blade guard. They are the lower belt guard, old style table raiser, key switch, flex shaft, 10E fence rear lock, the SPT adapter set and the 4E jointer and head rest with the adapter and pulley for the motor. I have at least one of each of these so the lower blade guard was the last item to complete the collection.
I agree with John on his list of rare accessories except I would put the Lower Belt Guard at the top of the list followed by the Lower Blade Guard. I have only seen one Lower Belt Guard for sale and John beat me on that auction. I have 2 Lower Blade Guards and it seems other members have that accessory over the Lower Belt Guard too. Maybe it is simply personal perspective that I put the one over the other, reverse of John's order. One thing I do fear about the Lower Belt Guard is that at some point since it was purchased by a Model 10 owner it gets misplaced and no longer connected to the Model 10. I do wonder how much that may have happened. We have no way of knowing how many Lower Belt Guards or Lower Blade Guards were sold unless there is some long lost records out there yet to be found but from what we have seen they appear to be the rarest.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:18 pm On July 19 John had said
Probably the rarest of the Model 10 accessories is the lower blade guard. My wife an I were on a road trip last week. We were in Durango CO on Thursday. I had my lap top with me and when we checked into the hotel I checked eBay at about 1400. A 10ER lower blade guard was listed for a Buy it Now price of $39.99 and $17.00 shipping. It had been listed for about 4 hours. I couldn't click the Buy button fast enough. The price was unbelievable. If it had been put on eBay as a bid item it would have easily gone for well over $100.00 I am sure.

There are a few Model 10 accessories that are in the same class as the lower blade guard. They are the lower belt guard, old style table raiser, key switch, flex shaft, 10E fence rear lock, the SPT adapter set and the 4E jointer and head rest with the adapter and pulley for the motor. I have at least one of each of these so the lower blade guard was the last item to complete the collection.
I agree with John on his list of rare accessories except I would put the Lower Belt Guard at the top of the list followed by the Lower Blade Guard. I have only seen one Lower Belt Guard for sale and John beat me on that auction. I have 2 Lower Blade Guards and it seems other members have that accessory over the Lower Belt Guard too. Maybe it is simply personal perspective that I put the one over the other, reverse of John's order. One thing I do fear about the Lower Belt Guard is that at some point since it was purchased by a Model 10 owner it gets misplaced and no longer connected to the Model 10. I do wonder how much that may have happened. We have no way of knowing how many Lower Belt Guards or Lower Blade Guards were sold unless there is some long lost records out there yet to be found but from what we have seen they appear to be the rarest.
I didn't really put the list in any order. I just listed them as they came to mind although subconsciously they probably came out in a reasonable order. However, I did put the lower saw guard at the top because it was the last of the rare items I acquired. I suspect you put the lower belt guard on top for the same reason; because it is the last item you need.

If I had two used lower belt guards I would let you have one but I just can't (yet) bring my self to actually installing my new old stock (unused) one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

I understand not wanting to use the new old stock Lower Belt Guard. To do so would diminish its value somewhat and for such a rare item it is better to keep it in the unused condition. I feel the same way about one of the Model 10E Rear Fence Locks I have which is still new in the box. The same is true for the one Key Switch I have still new in the box. In the meantime, I keep looking out for those rare items.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:48 pm John,

I understand not wanting to use the new old stock Lower Belt Guard. To do so would diminish its value somewhat and for such a rare item it is better to keep it in the unused condition. I feel the same way about one of the Model 10E Rear Fence Locks I have which is still new in the box. The same is true for the one Key Switch I have still new in the box. In the meantime, I keep looking out for those rare items.
Russ, John,

Just curious. I have seen similar discussions in the past about some of the rarer 10E/ER parts. This belt guard looks to me like it would be an easy product to create either as a DIY'er or as an aftermarket possibility. I know the 10E/ER machines out there are limited in number, but just curious if anyone has re-created these parts. The belt guard looks like it could easily be 3D printed if someone has the capabilities, or it wouldn't be that hard to make one out of sheet metal. I mean the replacement doesn't have to be cast iron, right? I know some of the other replacement parts would be a bit harder to replicate, but after seeing the picture of this belt guard it sure looks like a replacement could be easily produced - either a hacked home version or a limited production run aftermarket part. Wondering if there would be enough demand from other owners to create a small market for replacement parts? I know Skip at mkctools produced some replacement/upgrade parts for 10ER/Mark V, but I don't think I ever saw a replacement belt cover...I could see someone making a sheet metal belt cover and when painted should look almost identical to the original but wouldn't weigh 10 lbs. Just a thought.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:30 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:48 pm John,

Russ, John,

Just curious. I have seen similar discussions in the past about some of the rarer 10E/ER parts. This belt guard looks to me like it would be an easy product to create either as a DIY'er or as an aftermarket possibility. I know the 10E/ER machines out there are limited in number, but just curious if anyone has re-created these parts. The belt guard looks like it could easily be 3D printed if someone has the capabilities, or it wouldn't be that hard to make one out of sheet metal. I mean the replacement doesn't have to be cast iron, right? I know some of the other replacement parts would be a bit harder to replicate, but after seeing the picture of this belt guard it sure looks like a replacement could be easily produced - either a hacked home version or a limited production run aftermarket part. Wondering if there would be enough demand from other owners to create a small market for replacement parts? I know Skip at mkctools produced some replacement/upgrade parts for 10ER/Mark V, but I don't think I ever saw a replacement belt cover...I could see someone making a sheet metal belt cover and when painted should look almost identical to the original but wouldn't weigh 10 lbs. Just a thought.
For me having the lower belt guard or any of the other rare 10ER parts is more about having a rare part than actually using it. I have two 10E rear fence locks. They will never get used here because all of my 10ERs have a fence which has the rear lock. My key switch will never get used because It is in the original box and I believe unused. Also in my situation there is no need for a key switch on any of my machines.

If someone wanted to make a lower belt guard it wouldn't be hard. I suspect people are not concerned about having one because it would be pretty hard to incidentally contact the lower pulley/belt given it's position and surrounding parts of the machine. Similarly, the upper belt guard could be made also. That one should be used but, there are plenty of the originals around so making one is not necessary.

FWIW, the lower belt guard, lower saw guard and upper belt guard are not cast iron. They are aluminum so not at all heavy.

Skip at MKCTools has made a couple different full belt guards for the 10ER. He does not sell them but they can be a starting point for someone who wants to make their own. https://www.mkctools.com/10erpulleyguards.htm
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

…or 3D print a blade guard.
9B6C3DBA-1D0B-458F-91A2-55AACC113274.jpeg
9B6C3DBA-1D0B-458F-91A2-55AACC113274.jpeg (486.7 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

jsburger wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:27 pm If someone wanted to make a lower belt guard it wouldn't be hard.
Doug Smith over at the 10-ER Facebook group has an awesome array of 3D printed add-on designs. Belt guards, sanding disc dust extractors, aux hub extensions for power mount adapters, saw guards - he’s even printed up some casting replacements for the speed changer! I’ve used a number of these myself. He’s at:
douglas.techno.smith@gmail.com
103CECDF-2EE6-4F6E-8BC2-DC75AABFD20F.jpeg
103CECDF-2EE6-4F6E-8BC2-DC75AABFD20F.jpeg (175.74 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
John Dalton
Massachusetts
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

DarrenDD wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:09 pm …or 3D print a blade guard.
That is a great job! Much more functional vacuum port than the original.
John Dalton
Massachusetts