Maintenance Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

jnimz wrote:In the interest of fleshing out this thread (mostly because I have no clue, and suspect that others might not know either), what is "belt dressing"? Where does one acquire it? How is it applied, and how often?

The only stupid question is the one not asked!
You might consider it a belt conditioner. Available at hardware and auto parts stores. For one example, see: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=32
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Belt Dressing

Post by billmayo »

jnimz wrote:In the interest of fleshing out this thread (mostly because I have no clue, and suspect that others might not know either), what is "belt dressing"? Where does one acquire it? How is it applied, and how often?

The only stupid question is the one not asked!
Very true. I have used belt dressing for 50+ years startiing on the farm. I use it on all new and used belts. I like to turn belts inside out and spray the outside of the belt. I let the belt dressing dry for an hour or so before fliping and installing the belt. If the belt is making noise, you can spray the inside of the belt while it is operating. Just be very careful where you stick anything.

All auto supply stories carry belt dressing. Below is an on-line ad for belt dressing.

Pyroil Belt Dressing stops squeaks and squealing instantly. Its no-stick formula helps preserve belts and it is designed to meet belt manufacturers' guidelines for all flat-ribbed and V-belts. Pyroil Belt Dressing contains no chlorinated solvents or CFC's.

Designed to meet belt manufacturers' guidelines
No kerosene formula
No-stick formula helps preserve belts
Stops squeaks and squeals instantly
Designed for all flat-ribbed and V-belts
Contains no chlorinated solvents or CFC's
Part Number BD-5
Size 5 oz
UPC 28882-10060
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)