Speed Reducer Option

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Speed Reducer Option

Post by edma194 »

The Shopsmith Speed Reducer uses belts. This video shows the innards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDe9-NnxcHk&t=67s
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you move the bandsaw to the other end then the "drill" rotation will be correct, right?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

reible wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:01 pm If you move the bandsaw to the other end then the "drill" rotation will be correct, right?

Ed
Yes, I believe you are correct. Duh, I didn't even consider that. :rolleyes: I've never setup any SPT on that side, never crossed my mind. Embarrassing.
Mike
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm a little confused about the direction also. Are you running the Versamatic without either end held stationary? Sounds like that is doing the reversal of direction.You just need some kind of arm attached to the way tubes and a band clamp to hold down one end and reverse direction. Mounting the bandsaw on the other end also works, and if you only want to use this cleverly configured speed reducer in one direction for the band saw perhaps you don't want to do anything else but it might be useful for some users to be able reverse the direction of the output.

There is probably some simple planetary gear layout that would reverse rotation without reducing speed. That might be quite useful to owners who don't want to invest in a PowerPro or modify their motors.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

edma194 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:09 pm Are you running the Versamatic without either end held stationary?
No, that wouldn't do anything. It would just free spin on the drive side, and no rotation at all on the output side. The collar must be held still. I was holding it with my hand for testing. As you said, I need to build a simple arm to hold it. I think it will work great for as long as it lasts.

[Edit] I should have said I think it will work for reducing the rpm. However, 115 rpm is still around 300 sfpm, which is still fast for cutting steel, but I am going to try this before buying a portaband.

Mike
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I like the idea, might even set up an extra bandsaw with a metal cutting blade to try it. I have the Shopsmith speed reducer and a PowerPro so I can get down to very low speeds. I have a horizontal cutoff saw that can be used in vertical mode, but it's pretty shaky in vertical mode and there's just a 4"x4" piece of steel for the table. I just finished refurbing the old beast for regular horizontal cutoffs, it turned out to be a fight, but that's a story for another day.
Ed from Rhode Island

miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Let me know how it works out if you try it.

Thanks, Mike
Last edited by miken on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

miken wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:59 pm
JPG wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:43 am I'se confused.I thought the versamatic was reversible(drives/removes screws).
It's a bit difficult to explain how it works. I dont fully understand it. The one I have is meant to be driven clockwise by a non-reversing drill (or reverse on the SS). The way you get it to turn counter clockwise is you unscrew the front drive spindle and the clockwise input rotation is somehow reversed and it magically turns counter clockwise. If you try to drive it counter clockwise it does not output counter clockwise, it just disengages and free-spins. Here is a video on how it works https://youtu.be/Q4ljIAIZ3w0 . I think the model 4600 is direct drive and only meant to drive in screws, therefore, reversing input rotation also reverses output rotation.
JPG wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:43 am P.S. I think your setup has it running reversed(screw removal mode).
Yes, screw removal rotation (counter clockwise) drives the bandsaw in the correct direction to cut.

[Edit] by the way, it does nothing until you hold the outside collars still with your hand. Hold drive side collar still with spindle extended drives it counter clockwise. Hold front collar still with spindle screwed in drives it clockwise.

Mike
Ahh now I remember it assumes typical drill rotation(cw).

Yep ss reversed!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

edma194 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:44 pm Cool idea!
Used to have one of those. It was a cheaper version I got around 1980. I used it to drive wood screws with an electric drill, I have a recollection that it was frozen last time I tried it. Lubrication will be an issue with continuous use but they were meant to reduce from high speeds in drills so the driving them from the slow setting won't be that hard on the gears. Using one of these to reduce bandsaw blade speed for cutting metal is great idea. You may want to twist the blade 45° with the blade blocks so you can cut off long stock.
Scott has a video about twisting the blade. https://youtu.be/5lqzmibP3vg He wasn’t a fan and and I believe the blade isn’t good for regular cuts after twisting.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Blade twisting is not that exotic. Plenty of cutoff saws have been made that way. It allows long lengths of narrow stock to be cut with a relatively short bandsaw throat. I tried it out on SS band saw long ago, I was just curious, it worked, and I used that blade for quite a while after that. I just refurbished an old horizontal metal cutting band saw that uses a twisted blade, just like every other one I've ever seen. Yes, it looks strange, but it's no more strange than using a ribbon of flexible metal welded into a circle as a saw blade in the first place. Metal is ductile, it will return to it's original shape after being deformed.
Ed from Rhode Island