Headstock Lock

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

russearline
Bronze Member

Headstock Lock

Post by russearline »

My headstock lock is really hard to turn and it doesn't secure the headstock to the way tubes. Troubleshooting gude said to adjust the lock, however I can't find anything in the manual about adjusting it. Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated.
Russ
billmayo
Platinum Member

Headstock Lock

Post by billmayo »

russearline wrote:My headstock lock is really hard to turn and it doesn't secure the headstock to the way tubes. Troubleshooting gude said to adjust the lock, however I can't find anything in the manual about adjusting it. Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated.
Russ
This one gets you to the 25 Shopsmith maintenance procedures:
http://www.allinonewood.com/?page=shop/serviceadvisor

18. How to Replace the Headstock Lock (157kb)

I would recommend coping all 25 maintenance procedures to your computer and to a CD for future use.

It sounds as if you will need to replace the wedges and rod as it sounds like someone over tighten the headstock lock.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Headstock Lock

Post by billmayo »

russearline wrote:My headstock lock is really hard to turn and it doesn't secure the headstock to the way tubes. Troubleshooting gude said to adjust the lock, however I can't find anything in the manual about adjusting it. Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated.
Russ
This one gets you to the 25 Shopsmith maintenance procedures:

I would recommend coping all 25 maintenance procedures to your computer and to a CD for future use.

It sounds as if you will need to replace the wedges and rod as it sounds like someone over tighten the headstock lock.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
russearline
Bronze Member

Headstock Lock

Post by russearline »

Thanks Bill that info was very helpful. I'm going to see if I an fix it up enough to use it until I can order a new one.
Russ
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Wait!

Post by Gene Howe »

:eek:
Don't order the lock until you've examined at the present one. Your symptoms mirrored mine. Follow the procedure for replacing the lock and you may find it's simply not adjusted correctly, as I did. In which case, it's an extremely simple fix.
Gene
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
JPG
Platinum Member

25 Procedures

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:This one gets you to the 25 Shopsmith maintenance procedures:

Thank You Bill .. Any known inaccuracies???:confused: :)

P.S. Gene's advice is good for ANY problem!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange