Dust control mod example

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stclair
Bronze Member

Dust control mod example

Post by stclair »

I've been lurking here for a many a year, picking up useful bits of knowledge, and I'm about at the point where it made sense to sign up and show some what I've been able to do with it, in hopes that it will help someone else. Post #1 is 'dust'.

This dust treatment is my interpretation of some of the other threads here on dust control, for my 520. Creating a tighter plenum around the blade works very well, extracting much of the dust that is carried down by the cutting action, before it can be swept back up and be thrown in the air. I decided to implement the general concepts that I saw here, but use weatherstripping as a seal, rather than more rigid material. I expect that with wear and tear, I'll need to replace the weatherstripping at some point, but it's been in place for a couple of years, and so far, so good.

In the top-of-table shot, you can see a bit of self-adhesive foam, helping to block an opening in the blade shroud. There is also a smaller piece of foam that you can't see, helping to seal the side of the shroud closest to the camera.

The brown bits on the underside of the red plastic insert are just v-style weatherstripping, and in the under-table shot, you can see it bridging the gap between the table and blade shroud. I don't tip my table, so no worries on that score. The flex hose is 4 inches, with an adapter that fits the dust port. Dust collector is a King 1200CFM.

IMG_3737a.jpg
IMG_3737a.jpg (103.74 KiB) Viewed 687 times
IMG_3738a.jpg
IMG_3738a.jpg (92.52 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Bob: Mark V 520 and 510
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Dust control mod example

Post by algale »

Looks like a solid approach. Thanks for posting!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Prodigious forum member reible has a series of video on YouTube about Shopsmith dust collection that might interest you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeWOpFDJ_g
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
tcooper27
Silver Member

Post by tcooper27 »

Nice ideas. I wish SS would put some time into re-designing their guards around 4" ports and sealing up leaks instead of introducing yet another dust collector.