Timeliness of Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wdelliott
Gold Member

Timeliness of Shopsmith

Post by wdelliott »

I have a concern about the timeliness of Shopsmith in fulfilling orders. Last June (2021), I ordered a PowerPro headstock. Here it is towards the end of February 2022 and I still do not have it. It seems to be taking too long with 9-10 months. Shopsmith drew on my credit card in December.

After I saw that Shopsmith drew on my credit card, I called in January to check on the order. I was told it was shipped in December. Apparently, it was shipped to the wrong address. I asked for a confirmation on my order and was told that Shopsmith just made a mistake in sending to the wrong location. I'm still waiting.

Any thoughts from anyone on their experience?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Timeliness of Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

I think SS should simply send you one asap. Their mistake = their responsibility to fix.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

First of all...you should not have waited so long before you contacted Shopsmith. I would have been calling them every few days til I saw evidence of fulfillment.

That said, an order for a complete headstock is significant and I just do not believe that Shopsmith cannot deliver for that long a time. Something is screwed up in the factory.

As for the charge on your card...is the money gone from your account. If it is - raise hell but BE AWARE that being posted.e to your card does not mean money ahs come out. That usually does not happen until the item is "SHIPPED".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If SS thought they had shipped, then the charge was submitted in good faith.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

wdelliott wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:51 am I have a concern about the timeliness of Shopsmith in fulfilling orders. Last June (2021), I ordered a PowerPro headstock. Here it is towards the end of February 2022 and I still do not have it. It seems to be taking too long with 9-10 months. Shopsmith drew on my credit card in December.

After I saw that Shopsmith drew on my credit card, I called in January to check on the order. I was told it was shipped in December. Apparently, it was shipped to the wrong address. I asked for a confirmation on my order and was told that Shopsmith just made a mistake in sending to the wrong location. I'm still waiting.

Any thoughts from anyone on their experience?
IIUC the current status is you have neither the money nor the headstock. And that it has been approximately or at least a month since you brought this to their attention. If that is the case, I would immediately escalate this within Shopsmith, because if anyone is working it they are ineffective in resolving it. I've had a couple of incidents in the past where I became frustrated with CS being untimely or ineffective is resolving something and have had success escalating to a Robin Folkerth. Robin exhibited a complete grasp of the situation from the customer's perspective, kept me informed, and stayed on top of the problem until it was resolved to my satisfaction, which was always quick.

I would also ask for a credit, and to be re-charged upon re-shipment. A clock starts on your consumer rights/protection when your credit card is charged. I would only dispute the charge as a last resort, but I wouldn't let the clock run out for doing so. And I would make sure that an executive at SS was aware and had some opportunity to resolve the problem before taking this step. (I would not necessarily do this with other companies, but most of us need to maintain an ongoing relationship with SS. Some companies take great offense to losing a credit card dispute despite the fact that they can only lose if they screwed up.)

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

YA! Cannot accept 'blame'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

Thanks everyone. I did not get into all of the details, but I have checked with them with phone calls during the wait and have been assured that it was coming soon. The problem is that these appear to be empty promises.

Moving the issue up the ladder makes sense. Does anyone have a suggestion who to call?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

DLB suggested "Robin Folkerth".
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

Everyone,
In case any one is interested in my continued effort to purchase and have delivered a PowerPro headstock, I called again today (Friday March 4) and am now told on the phone that Shopsmith does not have any PowerPro headstocks in inventory. They are expecting some in the future, perhaps 2 weeks. They indicated that I am slated to receive one out of the next incoming shipment.

I placed my order last June 2021. I believe my call today was one of dozen calls I have made to check on my order.

If you wondered about the business health of Shopsmith, I would say that my experience indicates a concern.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wdelliott wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:44 pm Everyone,
In case any one is interested in my continued effort to purchase and have delivered a PowerPro headstock, I called again today (Friday March 4) and am now told on the phone that Shopsmith does not have any PowerPro headstocks in inventory. They are expecting some in the future, perhaps 2 weeks. They indicated that I am slated to receive one out of the next incoming shipment.

I placed my order last June 2021. I believe my call today was one of dozen calls I have made to check on my order.

If you wondered about the business health of Shopsmith, I would say that my experience indicates a concern.
I don't think this is necessarily an indication of a problem particular to Shopsmith. Practically everyone is having supply chain problems due in large part to COVID-19. I ordered a new Toyota Sienna van at the beginning of last month and was told 3 to 6 months for delivery. This from a major car company that can't give a closer date than that.Toyota is not in danger of going out of business any time soon.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT