Nick's New Table Saw Alignment Video

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Nick's New Table Saw Alignment Video

Post by algale »

Terrific new video by Nick on his YouTube channel discussing table saw alignment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtMoiXS2hWA

If you've ever wondered how critical fence/blade alignment is, Nick does the math. Take your tooth thickness, subtract the thickness of the blade (plate) and divide by 2. If you are out of alignment by more than that, duck.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Nick's New Table Saw Alignment Video

Post by chapmanruss »

Thank you for providing the link. It is a very useful and insightful explanation of table alignment. I also like the history provided in it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

The best I have ever seen.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Wow! The information density of Nick's video is off the charts! He has managed to say so much in such a short video...very impressive.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No BS and to the point!!!

As is usual for Nick!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

When interviewed by Scott Markwood, I recall Nick saying that he fully scripts all his videos before shooting them. This is exactly how all that hard prep work pays off.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Doing that alignment is tricky on the SS. For me, I'll get to 2 to 4 thousandths but it usually doesn't survive the final
tightening for me and I have to redo it .

I think the best I've managed front to back is a 5 thousandths completed.

b
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

bainin wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:26 pm Doing that alignment is tricky on the SS. For me, I'll get to 2 to 4 thousandths but it usually doesn't survive the final
tightening for me and I have to redo it .

I think the best I've managed front to back is a 5 thousandths completed.

b
I agree it is tricky, especially because of the movement while tightening. But partially because of shooting for closer tolerance. If you use his method for calculating tolerance 5 thou is probably fine. I have a box for a 555960, current version SS Crosscut, it shows a plate of 0.071" and tooth width of 0.098". So if I'm recalling his math correctly that's a tolerance of 13.5 thou over 10". Of course if you use this method for tolerance you should use your worst-case blade, not a random sample that happened to be on my desk.

One thing I'd like to highlight from his video is Nick aligned the miter gauge to the bar. That's also how a miter set does it. Every version of written SS alignment I've seen aligns the miter gauge face to the blade (old ones used a sanding disc). I've wondered from time to time which is most correct, I think it is the version Nick shows.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Setting miter gauge to the bar eliminates any other variable.

Setting it to the blade assumes slot to blade alignment will not affect it.

Realize these two conditions(miter gauge angle and slot to blade) are separate adjustments with different effects of misalignment.

One COULD set the miter gauge at 90° to a disc(sanding or saw blade) on a misaligned table slot and the result will not be a square cut. The drift on the work piece passing the blade will create an off 90° cutoff.(as well as causing binding)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange