Disappointed in ShopSmith Winter Closeout

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Disappointed in ShopSmith Winter Closeout

Post by DLB »

Not too far back Shopsmith held one of their closeout or inventory reduction sales. Some of the prices were so low that they perhaps represented human error.(?) I initially bought six items, five from the sale, and received a confirmation. I later decided to add an item, which I did through CS. So seven items, six from the sale. Later, February 17th, I received a fairly generic email stating that one or more items from the sale were "no longer available." I tried via CS email and on-line Order Status, but eventually had to call CS to determine which item(s). Four of the six items were unavailable. All four fell into the 'very low price' category. Benefit of the doubt and all, I let it go and canceled the remainder of my order due high ratio of S&H compared to the shadow of my order that was still left. Pretty much regardless of what had happened, I felt SS should have handled it differently. But that's life, captive market.

BUT now at least one of those items canceled from my order is back on sale. Item 555372, Slot Mortising Package. Regularly $207.47, currently $165.98 per the ad. Same item is on my order confirmation dated February 10th for the bargain price of $3.44. Restating, I do not know what happened though I have an opinion. Regardless of what happened, I now feel quite strongly that SS should have handled it much differently. I suspected numerous prices were in error when I saw the ad, and still do. I'm not saying there is no plausible innocent explanation, I think Shopsmith should have made that explanation. I also think a better response to their customers would have been to offer a substantial but not ridiculous discount on any other item as an alternative or consolation.

I buy stuff on line with some regularity. This is the first and only time I have received an order confirmation, or even gotten through checkout, with an item that was no longer available. I have lost items from my cart while checking out, a perfectly reasonable response when supplies are limited. Also in my past experience with SS the order confirmation has been definitive. These are in stock, those are not. Their stock system may not be state of the art, but it is also not completely antiquated.

- David
Majones1
Gold Member

Re: Disappointed in ShopSmith Winter Closeout

Post by Majones1 »

I had exactly the same experience, and the same thoughts about some of those ridiculously low prices. I assumed that were really trying to get rid of that stock. I also order fairly frequently from them.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

David,

Sorry this happened to you, but I had the same thing 1-2 years ago from Shopsmith. I tried to buy the Easy Wood carbide lathe chisels from Shopsmith. If memory serves, they were about 30% less than regular price when Shopsmith offered them up for sale. As soon as I saw the email, I rushed to place an order. The order was confirmed, but then several days later I got a phone call from Shopsmith telling me that they sold out of all of their inventory and that my order was cancelled. I didn't appreciate it then and I have curtailed my purchases as a result of it. They really need to upgrade their ordering system so that they can track inventory better. I agree it is unacceptable to take an order and confirm it, only to backtrack on it after the fact. Not a great way to treat customers IMHO...

P.S. I own the hollow chisel mortising system and am not a fan of it. It works, but not very well. You might have dodged a bullet if they cancelled this order on you.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:35 pm P.S. I own the hollow chisel mortising system and am not a fan of it. It works, but not very well. You might have dodged a bullet if they cancelled this order on you.
I have the hollow chisel set and share your opinion. I don't make that type of joint often, therefore it's adequate. The order included a Slot Mortise package, basically router mortises with a half-round end. (Similar to domino mortises, IIUC.) Despite the name it includes the Tenon Master Jig. Which I really like, tenons or not, and use pretty often. Was thinking to get another one, very useful as a starting point for jigs.

- David