motor amps ?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lahola1
Gold Member

motor amps ?

Post by lahola1 »

My Powerkraft RAS is only drawing 3.6 amps. I just found the motor tag and it says 2HP, 13.0 amps. How is this possible?
BTW, the 20,000 RPM output shaft for router bits works really nice. :)
Attachments
motor.jpg
motor.jpg (146.78 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
0307221956.jpg
0307221956.jpg (201.75 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: motor amps ?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

max / full load rating ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

How are you measuring the current draw? As suggested above, it could draw far less than 13 amps if not fully loaded like it would be sawing through heavy stock. To just keep a tool spinning should not require much current once it gets up to speed.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

20k rpm? My guess is that it has a universal motor(AC/DC is a clue also) that is geared down to the saw arbor.

Light/no load will result in much lower current draw.

Quit sweating!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

My SSMKVII draws 10.7 amps, no load and my craftsman RAS motor tag says 11.0 amps and it draws 11 amps, no load. IIRC I tried ripping a 2x4 on the powerkraft and there was no way it had had enough power to rip it. My Craftsman could. Can something go bad in the motor that can cause this? As I have said before, I am no electric expert.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Delta 12" planer
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

lahola1 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:49 pm My SSMKVII draws 10.7 amps, no load and my craftsman RAS motor tag says 11.0 amps and it draws 11 amps, no load. IIRC I tried ripping a 2x4 on the powerkraft and there was no way it had had enough power to rip it. My Craftsman could. Can something go bad in the motor that can cause this? As I have said before, I am no electric expert.
I'd say the answer is yes, but I'm no universal motor expert. The something would likely be electrical resistance, I'd start with brushes and cleaning the carbon off the armature where the brushes contact (commutator, IIRC). I think there are some spray cleaners specifically for that without disassembly beyond taking the brushes out. This is common in brushed motors because of normal arcing. But not the only potential source of resistance.

Induction motors, like in your SS, do draw a lot of no load amps but are not consuming all that power. This gets complicated fast, but with AC Volts times Amps only equals (or even indicates) watts with resistive loads.

- David
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

JPG, you are correct. The motor turns at 20k and is geared down for the saw arbor. I guess I can live without ripping 2x4s on it . Just didn't make sense to me.
Thanks for all the replies.
Delta 12" planer
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Here is a link from Fluke , just a few things to inspect and test if you feel something is wrong .

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/blog/ ... lfunctions
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Universal motor marketers like to tout 'developed' horsepower.

Sorta like "peak' power.

Induction motors 'deliver' horsepower.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:55 am Universal motor marketers like to tout 'developed' horsepower.

Sorta like "peak' power.

Induction motors 'deliver' horsepower.
I love/hate where this is going. ;) At 115 V and 13 Amps, electrical power in watts for AC is theoretically between 0 and 1495 Watts. If those VA numbers are valid for DC, it is exactly 1495 W. So at ~100% efficiency and a power factor of 1, neither possible for AC, that would be converted to 1495 mechanical watts aka 2.00 HP delivered. If real efficiency and PF are 0.8 (a guess) you're still well over 1-1/8HP delivered, a useful standard for this forum.

Anyone know if those cheap plug-in power meters actually measure electrical watts, as opposed to volt-amps, and will they work on a motor (start current) and/or non-sinusoidal (PowerPro) load?

Since real power is not known, shouldn't we sort of expect a stationary saw with a 13 Amp motor to rip a 2X assuming a sharp rip- or combo- blade and creation of a reasonable kerf? Not as well as a 2 HP induction motor, but kind of as a minimum capability. Therefore perhaps not drawing 13 Amps at full load. I'm back to brush/commutator as a logical starting point for any brushed motor.

- David