German Schrank - anyone made one?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

German Schrank - anyone made one?

Post by everettdavis »

I’m looking to build a 3 section German Schrank similar to the photo

Anyone have plans? The door panels are multiple laters of relief similar to a complex picture frame in reverse and many have hand carved center panels even complex locking mechanisms and hidden compartments

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kindest Regards,

Everett
F66B2E54-36DC-46EF-9F71-04446F1D246B.jpeg
F66B2E54-36DC-46EF-9F71-04446F1D246B.jpeg (204.14 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
stew
Gold Member

Re: German Schrank - anyone made one?

Post by stew »

This will be very interesting to watch the progress as you go. Please take us all with you on this journey.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

+1we will need a lot of pictures
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Very cool,
and if that one is schrank, I can only imagine how large the full sized ones are. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I lived in West Germany, as it was known at the time, in the late 80's and assembled quite a few "Schranken" (the plural). They were absolutely nothing like what is pictured, IIRC this version would have been Americanized to 'living room Schrank.' I don't recall the German for it. Most of ours were more like a really cheap armoire to fill the role left by the lack of closets, a popular non-feature in European home construction and you could buy them in a department store. Think vinyl over particle board. The wide variation in pieces named Schrank may add to the challenge of finding plans. The ones we had you could easily draw on the back of a cocktail napkin. Good luck, it is a fine project and quite an impressive undertaking!

- David
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The ones I helped a buddy coming back from Wiesbaden Germany were more ornate but were solid oak. Each of the three sections weighed well over 300 lbs and we used a motorized hand truck used to move Fireproof Filing Cabinet to move them. They remained rock solid and the etched (sandblasted) glass in them was never stressed being moved. The project will involve three units, and a stand-alone matching grandfather clock if I undertake it.

With the price of wood these days it is not something I can underestimate in material or time.

I am looking for the joinery and hardware design to find out if I will even attempt to build them.

I told them I still feel the best course may be to commission it done in Germany and ship it here.

I would like to know more about them.. a great deal more.

I have not found the resources I need yet, and was hoping someone here might have a source or some experience.

Everett
dinkarvid
Bronze Member

Post by dinkarvid »

it looks amazing, share more pictures with us