new belts, but head stock will not rotate, Now what?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dknowswd
Bronze Member

new belts, but head stock will not rotate, Now what?

Post by dknowswd »

I replaced both belts with new ones, cleaned both sheaves, the motor runs fine with no belts attached, but will not run or rotate the head stock when the belts are attached.
When I rotate the disc by hand the belts do not move. I can't get the speed control adjusted since nothing moves when I turn it.
I don't know what els to try.

I'm sure the problem is something simple, so any Ideas are good for me.
Thanks ahead for any advice,
Dean
(new to Shopsmith)
JPG
Platinum Member

'Motionless SS'

Post by JPG »

dknowswd wrote:I replaced both belts with new ones, cleaned both sheaves, the motor runs fine with no belts attached, but will not run or rotate the head stock when the belts are attached.
When I rotate the disc by hand the belts do not move. I can't get the speed control adjusted since nothing moves when I turn it.
I don't know what els to try.

I'm sure the problem is something simple, so any Ideas are good for me.
Thanks ahead for any advice,
Dean
(new to Shopsmith)
WHEW! Where to begin?????

First did it work correctly B4 belt replacement?

If it did you didn't do something right while replacing them.

If it didn't it has a problem not related or fixable by belt replacement.

Does the output shaft rotate by hand or is it jammed? Is this what you were referring to about disc turning?

DO NOT try to FORCE speed control knob ****************IMPORTANT

The motor running without belts but not with belts indicates a severe bind somewhere(strong enough to stall the motor!).

I hope you are up to the following, but if you are not, get it fixed by someone else.

IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANY PART OF WHAT FOLLOWS OR YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT IS BEING REFERRED TO ***STOP***

???have you watched the sawdust session addressing the drive train area? IF NOT DO SO NOW!

Remove the DRIVE belt(the one on the MOTOR pulley.

The motor should now turn freely(by hand).

Remove the speed control dial and then the speed control assembly(make sure you disconnect the retaining loop between control sheave and quadrant).

You should have known to remove the medallion/access hole cover plate.

Reach in through the access hole(hope your hands are small) and try to move the control sheave in and out on the shaft. It should move easily.

When you replaced the polyv belt, you removed the upper bearing/or slid it back to allow looping belt on to it.

Get it slid back again so you can remove the polyv belt.

NOW does the output shaft turn freely? I hope so! If not find out WHY!

If output shaft does turn freely the control pulley shaft probably does not. It becomes necessary to remove the control shaft/sheaves assembly to determine why it isn't.

This is no MAGIC BULLET to FIX the problem but is intended to provide a way to isolate it.

Remember cautions above. Proceed at your own confidence/competence level ONLY!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ght=sheave

This post by Bill Mayo may help. I believe one of the sheaves is improperly positioned causing the belt to be unable to move. Properly positioning the sheaves may resolve the issue. If nothing else, I would retrace my steps by removing the belts and reinstalling. Since it worked before something was done wrong during the replacement process.
MarkFive510
JPG
Platinum Member

Control sheave alignment

Post by JPG »

markfive510 wrote:http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... ght=sheave

This post by Bill Mayo may help. I believe one of the sheaves is improperly positioned causing the belt to be unable to move. Properly positioning the sheaves may resolve the issue. If nothing else, I would retrace my steps by removing the belts and reinstalling. Since it worked before something was done wrong during the replacement process.
I do not think you have a motor pulley problem. But then I am NOT there to observe!

This post caused me to think of another thing. When checking to see if the control sheave slides in and out on the shaft, also see if can rotate ON THE SHAFT while 'out'. The control sheave should slide on a key on the shaft and NOT be able to rotate while the control shaft does NOT. Mis-mating of the control sheave to the idler sheave can cause speed control to JAM(not be able to adjust). The control sheave MUST be properly aligned with the key(keyway in sheave slides over key on shaft).:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dknowswd
Bronze Member

Post by dknowswd »

jpg40504 wrote:I do not think you have a motor pulley problem. But then I am NOT there to observe!

This post caused me to think of another thing. When checking to see if the control sheave slides in and out on the shaft, also see if can rotate ON THE SHAFT while 'out'. The control sheave should slide on a key on the shaft and NOT be able to rotate while the control shaft does NOT. Mis-mating of the control sheave to the idler sheave can cause speed control to JAM(not be able to adjust). The control sheave MUST be properly aligned with the key(keyway in sheave slides over key on shaft).:)

Thanks for all the advice, I got the motor to turn the head stock by loosening the poly V belt, then tightened it while the machine was running.
I smell a little burnt rubber, but I think that comes from new belts.
Thanks again,
Dean
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dknowswd wrote:Thanks for all the advice, I got the motor to turn the head stock by loosening the poly V belt, then tightened it while the machine was running.
I smell a little burnt rubber, but I think that comes from new belts.
Thanks again,
Dean
Given what you have been through, the smell of burnt rubber might be considered normal right now but will not be in the normal course of operation.

The belts should not slip enough to create a burnt rubber smell.

Like was stated somewhere in this thread, I believe the variable sheave was improperly positioned when you last reassembled the unit. This could cause the belt to be squeezed such that it could not move. That belt must be free to move up and down between the sheaves when you change speed.

This would also produce the "symptom" of not being able to adjust the speed.

What to do next? Make sure that all lubrication has been done, revisit all of the alignment requirements (including the speed control) and then go make sawdust.

For a while, remain sensitive to the smell of burnt rubber. Good Luck and please report back your findings. Good Job.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Squeezed belt

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Given what you have been through, the smell of burnt rubber might be considered normal right now but will not be in the normal course of operation.

Like was stated somewhere in this thread, I believe the variable sheave was improperly positioned when you last reassembled the unit. This could cause the belt to be squeezed such that it could not move. That belt must be free to move up and down between the sheaves when you change speed.

What to do next? Make sure that all lubrication has been done, revisit all of the alignment requirements (including the speed control) and then go make sawdust.

For a while, remain sensitive to the smell of burnt rubber. Good Luck and please report back your findings. Good Job.
I think you NAILED it!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dknowswd
Bronze Member

Post by dknowswd »

dusty wrote:Given what you have been through, the smell of burnt rubber might be considered normal right now but will not be in the normal course of operation.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted if the smell does not go away.
I could not have fixed the machine if you all did not help! Thank you very much!
Dean
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dknowswd wrote:Thanks, I'll keep you posted if the smell does not go away.
I could not have fixed the machine if you all did not help! Thank you very much!
Dean
I have concluded from your entries that you now have your Mark V running and that the speed control works; ie, you can change the speed from low to high and back to low with no difficulties. I hope that is correct.

If so, you are now in the business of making sawdust.

Please ask if there is anything else you need or do not understand.

:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Help By Dusty

Post by JPG »

[quote="dusty"]I have concluded from your entries that you now have your Mark V running and that the speed control works]
GOOD JOB DUSTY! Hope he takes you up on your offer when he needs it!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝