My Bride is Gonna Kill Me! Buying a Shopsmith Mark 2 on a Business Trip!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

My Bride is Gonna Kill Me! Buying a Shopsmith Mark 2 on a Business Trip!

Post by Chad »

My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

SHOP NOTES: I'm on a business trip in the Los Angeles area and located a reclusive Shopsmith Mark 2 machine for a ridiculously low price on Craigslist.

🟢 Please consider joining the 100+ other channel members in supporting the channel and get access to perks: https://www.youtube.com/c/MyGrowthRings/featured

💡 Here's an idea: If you aren't ready or able to join the channel, you can always support the channel by watching, clicking the thumbs-up, commenting, sharing, and by clicking through the provided links whenever you are shopping on Amazon or eBay. You don't even need to purchase the items these links lead to, but by going through these links they'll reward us with a small "finders fee". Thanks in advance for the support!

🟢 I've created an Amazon list of many of the tools that I have found to be indispensable in my shop. http://a.co/0GLhuR2 You may have to click the "Filter" link to show the items in the list. I suggest sorting them by priority.

Visit http://www.MyGrowthRings.com
Follow on Instagram @MyGrowthRings
I also blog at http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith-posts and http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/

DISCLAIMER: This video and description may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on and purchase from one of the product links, we’ll receive a small commission. This helps support the channel and allows us to continue to make videos like this. Thank you for your support!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: My Bride is Gonna Kill Me! Buying a Shopsmith Mark 2 on a Business Trip!

Post by chapmanruss »

A nice addition to Scott's collection.

A couple of comments about the information he gave in the video. The Mark 5 was introduced in March of 1954. The Mark 2 was introduced in December of 1957 by Magna Power Tool Corporation. This unit was made at Montgomery Ward’s request and sold primarily by them. It was first painted like the Mark 5 Greenie and later was gray like the one Scott bought. The Montgomery Ward PowrKraft version I have seen is also gray. It was made as a cheaper alternative to the Mark 5 and it shows. I compare it to a Model 10 trying to look like a Mark 5. The table on the Mark 2 works like the table of the Model 10E and 10ER but the crank pushes against the table tie bar instead of a clamp on arm like the Model 10's.

Hopefully Scott was able to take it apart to make room for other riders in his van. :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

Excellent details, Russ. Yes, I was able to get it apart and tucked into the rear well with plenary of room for luggage. I had it shipped back in pieces and still haven’t reassembled it. I hope that will happen soon. Scott
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scott,

Glad to hear you were able to get it home and I look forward to seeing pictures of it after it is back together. We don't get to see them very often.

I have two Greenie Mark 2's I am restoring and I hope to have at least one if not both finished this summer. Pictures will follow.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

I had one of those “what have I done??!!” moments last fall and brought this home - it was free and very close by, so hard to resist. Looking forward to the restoration project this spring.

I’m actually working with someone on the Facebook group to recreate the belt cover using 3D printing methods (as you can see, that’s one glaring part missing from this system), so once we’ve figured that out, we should be able to make those available to others who need a replacement for their own restoration. Almost every one of these I’ve seen offered has a broken one or no belt cover at all, so I figured there might be some interest.
57820D60-42BB-4691-935E-1DEA95D09AEF.jpeg
57820D60-42BB-4691-935E-1DEA95D09AEF.jpeg (732.3 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:04 pm The Mark 2 was introduced in December of 1957 by Magna Power Tool Corporation. This unit was made at Montgomery Ward’s request and sold primarily by them. It was first painted like the Mark 5 Greenie and later was gray like the one Scott bought. The Montgomery Ward PowrKraft version I have seen is also gray.
Russ: do we have any reliable information on serial number versus production date, similar to any of the other early Magna products?
John Dalton
Massachusetts
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Other than they were introduced in December of 1957 I haven't seen any information on serial numbers (starting or ending), production dates, color change or even when production ended. I am not sure when they changed from metal bench tubes to wood bench rails. My guess would be they went from green to gray when the Mark 5 changed from Greenies to Goldies or when they change from Goldies to gray depending on how long the Mark 2 was in production. The lowest serial number I have seen is 80079 and the highest is 89034. Out of that serial number range about 90 % have been Greenies. My sampling of identified serial numbers is very small.

You are correct about the Belt Cover. Many are missing and the rest seem to have some damage. Maybe not the best place for a plastic part. Another consideration for a replacement Belt Cover is the label inside with the pulley/speed information.
Russ

Mark V 520
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:06 pm You are correct about the Belt Cover. Many are missing and the rest seem to have some damage. Maybe not the best place for a plastic part. Another consideration for a replacement Belt Cover is the label inside with the pulley/speed information.
Luckily, the speed chart label was not affected when my recently acquired belt cover was broken in transit, so I have a good example from which to create reproductions.
Attachments
2C0F132F-C436-4C83-B667-A19425A9EB42.jpeg
2C0F132F-C436-4C83-B667-A19425A9EB42.jpeg (314.86 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
John Dalton
Massachusetts
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

jpdalton wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:21 pm Luckily, the speed chart label was not affected when my recently acquired belt cover was broken in transit, so I have a good example from which to create reproductions.
That was lucky. I don't know much about the MK 2, and wouldn't pretend to. So, I didn't know that label existed. I figured the MK 2 was similar with a 10E or 10ER in that it had a belt speed chart, and was separate from the machine. Not being labeled somewhere on the machine itself.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Chad,

This is a great example of how a subject Scott introduces in his video can be expanded on when subjects are in separate threads.

The Speed Chart Label in the belt cover is the only one I know of included with the Mark 2. The only two Owner's Manuals I have seen, one dated January 1958 and the other dated May 1959, only mention changing the pulley positions and the orientation of the Belt Cover with the wider end always covering the 4" pulley. The Later Owner's Manual (5-59) also includes a "Woodworking Operations Chart" similar to the one originally on the back cover of the Mark 5 Manual.
Russ

Mark V 520