Power Station Belts and Pulleys

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The next three or four posts contain photos of the pulleys and belts in the Power Station and/or Crafter's Station. These were taken of my Crafter's Station. The transmission is the same in both.

These photos are intended to augment a discussion on this forum about Belt Tension in the Power Station.

I'll post with minimal comment. I think the photos say it all. Ask if you have questions.
Attachments
High Speed.JPG
High Speed.JPG (150.15 KiB) Viewed 17045 times
Low Speed.JPG
Low Speed.JPG (159.71 KiB) Viewed 17042 times
Set at low speed.JPG
Set at low speed.JPG (139.93 KiB) Viewed 17038 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Part 2 Removing Belts and Pulleys
Attachments
Belt Removed from Spindle Pulley.JPG
Belt Removed from Spindle Pulley.JPG (149.94 KiB) Viewed 17006 times
All Belts Removed.JPG
All Belts Removed.JPG (150.48 KiB) Viewed 17006 times
Sheaves being Pulled from Shaft.JPG
Sheaves being Pulled from Shaft.JPG (142.46 KiB) Viewed 17014 times
Sheaves Removed.JPG
Sheaves Removed.JPG (156.9 KiB) Viewed 17003 times
All Pulleys Removed Low Speed Position.JPG
All Pulleys Removed Low Speed Position.JPG (154.16 KiB) Viewed 17012 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Part 3 Before Removal of Belts and Pulleys
Attachments
Belt at Near High Speed.JPG
Belt at Near High Speed.JPG (149.29 KiB) Viewed 16999 times
High Speed Position.JPG
High Speed Position.JPG (152.96 KiB) Viewed 17002 times
Low Speed Position.JPG
Low Speed Position.JPG (154.33 KiB) Viewed 16995 times
Mid Speed Position.JPG
Mid Speed Position.JPG (148.42 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
Motor Pulley Removed.JPG
Motor Pulley Removed.JPG (145.14 KiB) Viewed 17001 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Sorry, but I got some of these placed in an illogical sequence.

Part 4
Attachments
Adjustable Sheave 1.JPG
Adjustable Sheave 1.JPG (128.56 KiB) Viewed 16989 times
Adjustable Sheave 2.JPG
Adjustable Sheave 2.JPG (141.32 KiB) Viewed 16983 times
Speed Change Gear from Above.JPG
Speed Change Gear from Above.JPG (145.27 KiB) Viewed 16995 times
Speed Change Gear from Below.JPG
Speed Change Gear from Below.JPG (143.71 KiB) Viewed 16989 times
The Complete Pulley Set.JPG
The Complete Pulley Set.JPG (134.05 KiB) Viewed 16999 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks the whole thing is making more since to me now that I'm seeing more pictures.

Just off the top of my head it would seem that knowing the deepest the belt can go, and the highest it can go you could then come up with a location that is mid-way... likewise the speed dial could be set at half way. If you then ran the machine to see if the belt goes higher or lower... then corrected to get back the the belt to mid point again... then maybe tried it again a time of two it should be very close. Once this sweet spot is found everything else should work out fine enough... no?

If anyone has one of these and wants to donate to me I promise to post detailed information on what I find along with pictures... hey I might even kick in for the shipping if it isn't too much. Think of it as one small donation to benefit all of shopsmithdom. If you here the fife music playing in you head then please contact me so we can get started on this...

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:Thanks the whole thing is making more since to me now that I'm seeing more pictures.

Just off the top of my head it would seem that knowing the deepest the belt can go, and the highest it can go you could then come up with a location that is mid-way... likewise the speed dial could be set at half way. If you then ran the machine to see if the belt goes higher or lower... then corrected to get back the the belt to mid point again... then maybe tried it again a time of two it should be very close. Once this sweet spot is found everything else should work out fine enough... no?

If anyone has one of these and wants to donate to me I promise to post detailed information on what I find along with pictures... hey I might even kick in for the shipping if it isn't too much. Think of it as one small donation to benefit all of shopsmithdom. If you here the fife music playing in you head then please contact me so we can get started on this...

Ed

I will have to go to the shop and sit where I can stare at this again. What you suggest sounds logical but that is not the way I did it.

I tensioned the motor belt (with the speed dial set at low speed). This was done by forcing the motor down on the four mounting studs with nuts above the motor. Then the nuts below the motor were tightened. Adjustment is done.

Much the same principle as leveling the extension tables.

Then when I adjust the speed control for high speed (or any other speed for that matter) the adjustable sheaves take care of the rest.

It is interesting to note that there is no belt tensioning procedure provided in the Shopsmith documentation. I have posted questions about this procedure previously and have received no definitive answers. Thus, I developed my own procedure and this has been it. However, with this method, there is some slapping of the belts that I would prefer did not exist. Maybe your approach would be better - I'll try.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I could be way off base... pulley systems are sometime difficult to figure out and this is no except. If I had one to play with and get the feel of it would be much easier. I've always enjoyed tinkering and belts were one of the fun things I use to watch and toy with. Some of the old wood shops use to have this system of flat belts that went and did many many things... things like tractors with PTO's and belts.

When I was maybe 12 or 13 I was already making things of wood so when my Mom became interested in lapidary arts I decided to build her a bench/table for Christmas... you know what I'll take that back I was 14 and had worked at one of the local grocery stores for a I think it was 85 cents and hour... anyway I went over board and purchased this three legged tool that sort of looked like a pan setting on legs. It had a shaft that you mounted a diamond wheel on or steels or buffing wheels... it had a drip water system for cooling.... The system was belt driven and the intent was to have a motor that would reverse directions depending on the needed operation.

I had no motor like that... but we did have a horizontal mounted one that wasn't doing anything... So I made the two level workbench with the lapidary tool mounted on it, I even got it done for Christmas. It wasn't perfect but it did turn out well and of course my Mom thought I had done quite the job... previous woodworking had been bird houses and things like that so this was my first outing into something like this... I was just happy the things stood level on all four legs. I had an uncle who lived across the street who by all standards had the common since of a dozen men and his mechanical and engineering skills would have been impressive in an educated person.

As Moms do she was bragging about my present so after a few days he stopped by to see what I had done... not that he was expecting to see much. While my Mom a fair carpenter in her own right was impressed with my wood working, my uncle on the other hand stopped and just stared for about 5 minutes. I had fully expected him to be gone in less time. What he was studying was the belt system. I had twisted the belt so the motor was sitting in a horizontal position and had twisted it to meet the vertical shaft of the lapidary machine. I didn't think it was any big deal and to be honest I got a bit lucky I guess with the design. He ask me to turn it on which I did... he must have watch for another 5 minutes waiting for the belt to come off... well it never did. When I took the belt off and twisted it the other way and had it running the other direction.... well I knew I had arrived in my Uncle's eyes.

OK I got a little off subject here but I do that from time to time.

I have this little sketch of the design... not much to look at for others but for me, well it all that I have left of the concept.
[ATTACH]3084[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
lap1.jpg
lap1.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 17070 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

PS belt tensioning

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Thanks the whole thing is making more since to me now that I'm seeing more pictures.

Ed
Interesting approach. I have taken a different sequence than dusty.

I adjust the motor tension with the belt at HIGH speed while the sliding shaft is at its upper stop and the motor belt is just above the ridge on the sliding sheave. The ridge corresponds to bottoming out in a v pulley. This causes the outer(spindle shaft) belt to become somewhat loose as shown in dusty's pix. I keep rotating(by hand) the pulleys so that the outer belt seeks its 'high speed' operating point. This 'self aligning' is what makes this 'strange'.

The reason for adjusting motor belt tension at HIGH speed is because the belt gets 'looser' at LOW speed. The bottom ridge on the pulley is a limit to how tight the belt can be tensioned and the hard stop of the sliding shaft is also a logical Upper speed limit.

When speed lever is then(while running) moved to the LOW speed position the motor belt climbs to a larger diameter and the output belt drops to a smaller diameter(it nearly bottoms out on its ridge).

Wish we had a TACH so we could compare it to SS speed specs.

I question adjusting at LOW speed since the tension increases as speed is increased.

I also find it interesting that the PS manual makes NO mention of how this should be done. It IS possible that it doesn't really matter. The sliding pulley flange finds its own equilibrium point. However I think the resultant speeds obtained would differ and speed variation over the control lever range be lopsided.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange