Econo vs Premium Wheel Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: Are They Worth It?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Econo vs Premium Wheel Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: Are They Worth It?

Post by Chad »

My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

SHOP NOTES: If you move your Shopsmith tools on Shopsmith casters eventually you will need to replace the wheels, and if you own the Mark 7 and/or the heavy PowerPro headstock, IMO, polyurethane wheels are a mandatory upgrade. The great news is we now have a couple choices: 1.) We can replace them with the same hard-plastic OEM wheels that have served us just fine all these years, or 2.) We can upgrade them with softer, smooth-running polyurethane wheels, or 3.) We can upgrade them even further with Shopsmith's official Premium 3" polyurethane wheel upgrade. But which one is most worth it?

🟢 Please consider joining the 100+ other channel members in supporting the channel and get access to perks: https://www.youtube.com/c/MyGrowthRings/featured

💡 Here's an idea: If you aren't ready or able to join the channel, you can always support the channel by watching, clicking the thumbs-up, commenting, sharing, and by clicking through the provided links whenever you are shopping on Amazon or eBay. You don't even need to purchase the items these links lead to, but by going through these links they'll reward us with a small "finders fee". Thanks in advance for the support!

🟢 I've created an Amazon list of many of the tools that I have found to be indispensable in my shop. http://a.co/0GLhuR2 You may have to click the "Filter" link to show the items in the list. I suggest sorting them by priority.

0:00 - Intro
0:16 - A bit of history and how they work
0:56 - The problem with Shopsmith casters
1:29 - 3 replacement wheel options
2:11 - Installing the Econo version
2:24 - Flipping the Mark V with the Headstock OFF
2:39 - Installing the Premium Shopsmith 3" polyurethane wheels
3:15 - Flipping the Mark V with the Headstock ON
3:20 - Removing caster assembly
3:46 - How the Shopsmith 3-position caster assembly works
6:41 - Drilling the legs for the Shopsmith Premium 3" polyurethane wheel upgrade
8:15 - Mounting the caster assembly higher on the legs
8:58 - Pressing in the new wheels
9:24 - Lifting the Mark V back onto its feet.
9:39 - Taking the new casters for a test drive
9:50 - Final thoughts and my recommendation

Products used in this video (in no particular order):
🟢 Here's the oil I use to lubricate the wheel stems (Yes, this is the same oil I used on the sheaves): https://amzn.to/32IkpAQ
🟢 Econo wheels for the Shopsmith caster assembly: https://amzn.to/3nQVCTt
🟢 Shopsmith Premium 3" Caster Upgrade: https://amzn.to/396fsWp

Visit http://www.MyGrowthRings.com
Follow on Instagram @MyGrowthRings
I also blog at http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith-posts and http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/

DISCLAIMER:
A few viewers have requested I provide affiliate links to help them find the products I use and as a way of supporting the channel through commission. For example, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links I provide. If you purchase a product or service through these links, there is NO additional charge to you. I always recommend shopping around for a better price. Thank you for supporting My Growth Rings!

#ShopsmithCasters #ShopsmithCasterUpgrade #Shopsmith
Chad
Platinum Member

STUMPED? Q&A's from Two Easy Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: I Don't Care & Neither Should You!

Post by Chad »

My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

SHOP NOTES:
In our previous video, we installed and discussed upgrading the hard-plastic OEM wheels with softer, smooth-running polyurethane wheels, and upgrading with Shopsmith's official Premium 3" polyurethane wheel upgrade.

🟢 Please consider joining the 100+ other channel members in supporting the channel and get access to perks: https://www.youtube.com/c/MyGrowthRings/featured

💡 Here's an idea: If you aren't ready or able to join the channel, you can always support the channel by watching, clicking the thumbs-up, commenting, sharing, and by clicking through the provided links whenever you are shopping on Amazon or eBay. You don't even need to purchase the items these links lead to, but by going through these links they'll reward us with a small "finders fee". Thanks in advance for the support!

🟢 I've created an Amazon list of many of the tools that I have found to be indispensable in my shop. http://a.co/0GLhuR2 You may have to click the "Filter" link to show the items in the list. I suggest sorting them by priority.

Products used in this video (in no particular order):
🟢 Econo wheels for the Shopsmith caster assembly: https://amzn.to/3nQVCTt
🟢 Shopsmith Premium 3" Caster Upgrade: https://amzn.to/396fsWp

0:00 - Intro
0:44 - No, they 3" wheels don't give you more clearance
1:05 - Rolling smooth
1:35 - I Don't Care and Neither Should You!
3:55 - An alternative to flipping the Mark V upside-down
4:33 - Use a straightedge to adjust with the spacer washers
5:31 - Can you use the 3" casters on a SPT Stand?
6:40 - THANKS!

Visit http://www.MyGrowthRings.com
Follow on Instagram @MyGrowthRings
I also blog at http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith-posts and http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/

DISCLAIMER:
A few viewers have requested I provide affiliate links to help them find the products I use and as a way of supporting the channel through commission. For example, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links I provide. If you purchase a product or service through these links, there is NO additional charge to you. I always recommend shopping around for a better price. Thank you for supporting My Growth Rings!

#ShopsmithCasters #ShopsmithCasterUpgrade #Shopsmith
paulascott
Bronze Member

Re: Econo vs Premium Wheel Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: Are They Worth It?

Post by paulascott »

Thanks Scott -- just upgraded to the SS premium casters last weekend but am planning to try the "budget" versions on my planer soon. Love the info and videos.
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Re: Econo vs Premium Wheel Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: Are They Worth It?

Post by thedovetailjoint »

paulascott wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:11 am Thanks Scott -- just upgraded to the SS premium casters last weekend but am planning to try the "budget" versions on my planer soon. Love the info and videos.
You are welcome. I am planning on removing the premium wheels from my 520 and going back to the Econo wheels. I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts as you compare them. Scott
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Great information from Scott and my thanks.

Scott had mentioned the change in the position of the Foot Pedal being moved away from the outward edge and the cam. Earlier Retractable Caster Assemblies with the Foot Pedal being closer to the cam will interfere with the 3" wheel upgrade. This is explained in the instructions and what to do about it.

I like the 3" wheels on my Mark 7 and have a set to put on my Mark V but just haven't gotten to it yet. When my Pro Planer and Power Stations need new wheels I will consider Scott's economy recommendation.

One thing Scott said that stuck with me was still having to lift his Mark V over extension cords after the 3" wheel upgrade. I would not try to roll a tool over an extension cord but instead move it out of the path. This is not only to make the movement of my tools easier but safer both for my back (Mark V's are heavy and Mark 7's are heaver) and to avoid damaging extension cords.

A little history on the Retractable Casters. They first came out by 1951 for the Model 10E or 10ER and could fit on both the Shopsmith Metal Bench Ends which Magna had already introduced or the legs of the Wood Bench from the plans Magna supplied with the Model 10's. They are shown in the picture below. The early wheels were metal not rubber. When the Mark 5 was introduced, Magna had re-engineered the Retractable Caster Assembly using some of the same parts (the Foot Pedal, Cams and 2" wheels). They have continued as an optional item since. The Mark 2 used a similar Retractable Caster Assembly as the Mark 5 but an inch shorter in the length of the rods.

_
Model 10 Retractable Casters.jpg
Model 10 Retractable Casters.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I am trying an alternative to the caster upgrade. Not that I knew of anything wrong with them, I planned on getting at least one set and maybe more, but I got curious about why they didn't offer a 2" caster with a ball bearing wheel. The standard casters are just hard plastic with a steel rod axle. They don't spin well with any load on them, the axle bearing surface wears down over time, the outer wheel surface gets scratched and gouged, dirt from the floor clogs the axle and gets stuck between the caster fork and the wheel. Most of us have seen the toll time takes on those simple casters. I posited that the major benefit of the upgraded casters was the ball bearing wheel. The wheels seemed to rotate fine on the stems already, it was the wheel rotation that was so balky. Obvious a larger wheel reduces rolling resistance and rolls over larger obstructions than a 2" wheel can, but replacing 2" wheels would be much simpler change.

I went looking for a 2" ball bearing caster replacement and I think found the reason Shopsmith didn't try that, it might be because they don't seem to exist with the proper stem configuration. But I did find a 2" ball bearing wheel. The wheels are $4.95 each from this place, or 10 for 29.95, a reasonable price I think.

That is just a wheel though. I figured I could use the casters with broken wheels I already have, cut the axles and wheels out, and use bolts to mount the new wheels. I found some load bearing info on the wheels but lost the link, it seemed reasonable, and since they were 1/2" wide I hoped I could mount two of them in each of the old caster forks. Unfortunately the old wheels are less than 1" wide and two of the new ones would rub on the caster forks. I tried reshaping one but it didn't turn out that well, I'd have to cut some pieces of steel to use to reshape the forks correctly, and I didn't feel like getting into that. So after fooling around a little with two wheels mounted outboard on the fork I just used a bunch of washers to mount a single wheel centered in each fork.

The results? Well it works. It seems to roll with less effort than brand new casters, it changes direction much more readily, and the softer wheel material rolls more easily over obstructions. I haven't had these mounted up for very long, so no way to tell how they'll hold up over time. If they don't fall apart quickly I'm sure I'd do this in the future instead of replacing any more 2" casters. I still may try one of the 3" upgrades, at least for comparison. Enormous pictures follow:

ETA: Just remembered I got the load information by looking up the bearing number.
ETA2: Static Load Bearing 310 lb - Dynamic Load Bearing 740 lb. One wheel per caster should do fine

wheel side 1.jpg
wheel side 1.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
wheel side 2.jpg
wheel side 2.jpg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
single caster1 end view.jpg
single caster1 end view.jpg (178.38 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
single caster1 end view.jpg
single caster1 end view.jpg (178.38 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
casters1 on machine 1.jpg
casters1 on machine 1.jpg (150.87 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Attachments
casters 1 top view.jpg
casters 1 top view.jpg (144.88 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Nice option Ed. I have to ask about the washers used as spacers. With them being that large of a diameter do they still only touch the inner shaft of the bearing? This is a nice option especially for those, like yourself, that have older Retractable Caster Sets with the Foot Peddle closer to the cam.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have the premium wheels and like them a lot. One word of warning, if you push the machine keep a hand on it. It moves easily but it does not stop so good. I gave mine a push when I first put the wheels on it and it almost rolled out of my garage. Had to chase it. Would have been a lot of grief if it hit my wife's car.
Bill V
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

wa2crk wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:38 pm I have the premium wheels and like them a lot. One word of warning, if you push the machine keep a hand on it. It moves easily but it does not stop so good. I gave mine a push when I first put the wheels on it and it almost rolled out of my garage. Had to chase it. Would have been a lot of grief if it hit my wife's car.
Bill V
I agree. For me, I think the biggest difference in the premium casters, and why I like them so much, is the ease of rolling my Shopsmith around with them. The rolling resistance is MUCH lower with the premium casters compared to the original. As light as the Mark V is, it should be effortless to roll it around a garage and the premium casters make it effortless. Definitely need to keep your hands on it though as Bill points out here!
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:34 pm Nice option Ed. I have to ask about the washers used as spacers. With them being that large of a diameter do they still only touch the inner shaft of the bearing? This is a nice option especially for those, like yourself, that have older Retractable Caster Sets with the Foot Peddle closer to the cam.
I had a pile of those washers, just the right size. They have a 5/16" hole but I believe they were sold as 1/4" washers. Only one has to be up against the bearing to clear the wheel, I could have used other washers for the rest but those were handy. It would be easy to make a spacer from all sorts of material, I have some 5/16" ID DOM tube I could use to do more of these. Before I go any further on this I have to see how these wheels hold up over time.

I first tried using two wheels, one mounted on the outside of each fork arm with a bolt all the way through. A third wheel could have been mounted in the middle. But it was easy to see the problem of having the wheels mounted so far away from the stem axis when turning. The wheel set wouldn't change direction as easily and it was clear the wheels would scrape to change their position.

Now that I have the load data again I'm pretty sure that just 4 of those wheels, one in each caster can handle the weight of a Shopsmith. I'm not sure how much help small wheels like that will be if you have to roll across a very rough surface, but they seem good enough for my basement floor.

casters2 top view.jpg
casters2 top view.jpg (138.46 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER