Is it just me ?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Is it just me ?

Post by bainin »

All of a sudden, I see Dovetail joints posts replicated everywhere in the different forums (general woodworking, community, maintenance, etc) ?
Taking up atleast, if not more the entire first page of posts in each section.

Did I click something wrong? :confused:

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Is it just me ?

Post by edma194 »

He seems to be moving the individual My Growth Rings videos out of the single long thread and making individual posts for them. I don't know why. Seems this is duplicating functionality found on YouTube.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had 3 pages of new posts, most of which were as you described. I never read those. They have become a pain for me to deal with the last couple of days. So how do others feel about this development?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

reible wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:06 pm I had 3 pages of new posts, most of which were as you described. I never read those. They have become a pain for me to deal with the last couple of days. So how do others feel about this development?

Ed
Not a fan. Can't find anything recent, most of the videos are old but put in new posts. Scott has multiple web sites and a utube channel, I feel like if I was looking for utube content I'd look on one of those. Here I'm usually looking for forum content.

- David
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm not liking it, but it isn't my forum so I don't decide. Just more posts to ignore.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The ignore list doesn't seem to work??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I am hesitant to comment here, but here goes. I like Scott and think he does a really good job of producing high quality YouTube content for the Shopsmith community. I assume that he makes money on the affiliate links, ad revenue, etc. off of his YouTube channel related to this, so technically this is "commercial use" of this forum. I couldn't easily find the guidelines for the Shopsmith forum to review, but I do believe Shopsmith could take action on this, if they wanted to. I am NOT saying that they should though...like I said I like Scott and think he deserves every penny of compensation that he earns for producing some of the very best Shopsmith related content since the Sawdust Sessions from Nick. Often these videos from Scott serve as advertisements for Shopsmith equipment, so I do believe they benefit from his YouTube posts.

Honestly I don't see the point in reposting all of these older videos on the forum, again. It is cluttering up the forum for the handful of us that still use the Shopsmith forum on an active basis. Personally, I don't use them anyway and tend to find Scott on YouTube directly. For a while, some of the links were broken in these postings for Scott and there didn't seem to be much desire to fix them. Hopefully these have been fixed by now for anyone that uses them and stumbles on the older postings.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

It wasn't Scott.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Chad wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:41 pm It wasn't Scott.
Is there a reason you are posting all of Scott's old videos, Chad?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Chad wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:41 pm It wasn't Scott.
Chad,

Can non-subscribers see any but the most recent videos? I think most of them were only accessible to non-subscribers for a short time after they were originally posted. I am subscribed to My Growth Rings so I can see all those videos but don't know if others can.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER