Drop leaf table supports

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chaucer
Bronze Member

Drop leaf table supports

Post by Chaucer »

Hi,

I made a homemade small dropleaf table for my small RV. Because of the small size, I'm having trouble finding supports that I can use to hold the leafs up. Any suggestions?

Thank you
tabletop.jpg
tabletop.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Drop leaf table supports

Post by algale »

I would consider making some home made supports. Wooden toggles secured under the table that can be turned parallel to the long dimension of the table when the leaves are down and then spun perpendicular to support the leaves when the leaves are up.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Chaucer
Bronze Member

Post by Chaucer »

tks..that may work but due to the location of the hardware, I was looking for something that might fit in between the hinges and table support. I've been looking at possibly using door bolt latches...but the bolt part seems a bit shortto provide support under the leaf.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Looking at the table in the orientation seen in that photo, you could put 3 or 4 small metal wall brackets across the top and the same across the bottom situated such that you could slide a bar (hardwood or metal bar stock) through to support both drop leaves. These bars would function similar to the bars that secure a door or gate, like on a fort where they yell “Bar the gate!” :D

Seriously, you would make sure the brackets are snug to the bar, and you may need to put more than 4 brackets to make sure the screws don’t get pulled out from any weight that might be put on the leaves. If the bars were metal, you could use magnets to stow them in an idea out of the way location.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Support both leaves always, or sometimes only one at a time?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

There is a lot of drop leaf table hardware available like these metal supports: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71426-M ... 123&sr=8-1

An all wood support with that same basic design of a bar sliding through an opening should not be hard to construct. With wood it's a good idea to have the bar wedge into the opening to lock it and account for changes in the wood. I once saw such a table that had the support bars from either side wedge into each other under the center, however in relation to the question posed in the previous post, that design required both sides to be up or down together.

You may be too far along to do this but here's a video about making a Rule Joint.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Chaucer
Bronze Member

Post by Chaucer »

edma194 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:20 pm There is a lot of drop leaf table hardware available like these metal supports: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71426-M ... C123&sr=8-
Thank you for everyone's input. I actually bought the above supports, but are too long as is and was looking for other options. Have looked for awhile for shorter versions. I think I will mount them a bit diagonally on the center piece, but will have to cut the inner sliding part a bit shorter. I realize the top is not the best looking, but I quickly made as we are leaving on a long trip in a week or so. I plan to stain and poly the top. I think it will look ok for our use.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

just curious are you wanting to do something that will allow you to use one side at a time or both at once ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Chaucer
Bronze Member

Post by Chaucer »

Hi, Here my final product. I ended up cutting the sliding leaf supports and positioning them at an angle. The leafs drop on both sides as it's in the middle of the sleeping area. The table is in a small RV that acts as a place to eat if the weather outside is poor. (Beds slide back to provide more room)

Tks for the help...
table1.jpg
table1.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
table 2.jpg
table 2.jpg (17.71 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Looks like it works!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!