High speed adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

High speed adjustment

Post by cincinnati »

I can turn my speed dial way past fast. I went to do the high speed adjustment and if I turn the dial till the belt rides within 1/8-1/16. I am about 3 or 4 letters away from fast. The poly v belt seems to be adjusted right but the motor drive belt seem loose. The belt measures at 1/2" wide.
So I am a little confused on the high speed adjustment. Do I replace the belt? (Got a new one in the mail today. Going to do it anyway)
If I turn the speed dial till the belt is 1/8" to edge of the sheave and I am 3 letters away from fast, then what? Pull the speed dial ring off and readjust? If so, How did it get that way in the first place? It never has been worked on.
JPG
Platinum Member

Speed dial monkey business

Post by JPG »

Are you measuring (1/16 - 1/8) on the MOTOR sheave?????:)

To 'do the high speed adjustment' the speed 'knob' MUST come OFF.

After setting High speed STOP the next step is to 'set the dial' to FAST.

After taking control knob off, make sure the gear teeth on the knob are NOT stripped.

If the control knob is loose enough to allow the gears to not mesh properly, the dial position can get "off".

This is because the dial rotates thru the gears but the actual speed control(WORM gear and quadrant) are directly connected to the control knob.
If the control knob rotates, but doesn't move the gears, the dial will not move and get out of proper position.

P.S. When putting the knob back on, make sure the set screw is centered into the depression in the knob shaft and tight!.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Thanks!

That was the info I was looking to confirm.

Yes! measurement is from the motor sheave.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

After doing a high speed adjustment - if your speed indicator dial does not read Fast you need to reposition the dial.

You will have to remove the speed control handle to change position of the dial. To do this- the set screw and the notch in the handle must be aligned.

The trick here is to note the dial distance you must rotate the speed control knob and indicator in order to align the notch in the handle with the set screw that tightens/loosens the handle. Use the sanding disk to rotate the spindle while turning the speed handle. This will save on pork chop teeth.

If you turn the speed handle dial downward 90 degrees in order to reach that screw - set your speed indicator at about "R" or "S" to compensate for the rotation. If these particular letters don't work for you, do your best to select the right setting. It's kind of intuitive after a while.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

cincinnati wrote:I can turn my speed dial way past fast. I went to do the high speed adjustment and if I turn the dial till the belt rides within 1/8-1/16. I am about 3 or 4 letters away from fast. The poly v belt seems to be adjusted right but the motor drive belt seem loose. The belt measures at 1/2" wide.
So I am a little confused on the high speed adjustment. Do I replace the belt? (Got a new one in the mail today. Going to do it anyway)
If I turn the speed dial till the belt is 1/8" to edge of the sheave and I am 3 letters away from fast, then what? Pull the speed dial ring off and readjust? If so, How did it get that way in the first place? It never has been worked on.
Nick did a Sawdust Session that might be helpful.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... hanger.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.