Storing extra headstock parts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Storing extra headstock parts

Post by cincinnati »

I have a few parts I would like to store for future use. What is the best way to preserve them against rust etc... I was thinking about spraying them with oil (something like chain oil or the like) and storing them in a zip lock bag. Thought about using grease but that would be a mess to clean off.
I read one review where WD40 was not a good rust preventer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Any one of these will work! I used WD-40 on a steel bench vise and stored it for 5 years with no rust. I really soaked the 25 lb. thing! Used no wrapping.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Storing small steel parts

Post by JPG »

Put em in a air tight zip lock bag with a small chunk of CAMPHOR.

Squeeze most of the air out b4 sealing.

Do it on a 'DRY' day.

Replace camphor if necessary over time.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

jpg40504 wrote:Put em in a air tight zip lock bag with a small chunk of CAMPHOR.

Squeeze most of the air out b4 sealing.

Do it on a 'DRY' day.

Replace camphor if necessary over time.
Wonder if a seal-a-meal would work??????
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

cincinnati wrote:Wonder if a seal-a-meal would work??????
Try it and let us know! Do they still make those things?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Lets see, YOu want to mummify some parts for the future.. How many years ya think you'll be needing? Just put the parts in a plastic bag or shoe box and put them under your bed out of the dampness.

I've got 2 complete headstocks as spares or for parts if needed and they are just closed up in garbage bags stored in my attic. Will someday be discovered long after I'm gone and sold on ebay!

I like to keep my tools nice and clean and rust free also. I've drawers full of spare parts, some years old. IN FACT... My lathe tools are 15 years old and I've never used them.. No rust or pitting on them as of yet?! and no special care to them other then dry storage.

Back when I was in the Navy in AC squadrons, we used to coat just about everything with preventative in an effort to stop pitting and rust to aluminum and steel. Found out this was overkill as is sometimes contributes to the the rust! If you intend to time-capsule your parts then of course coat them with bee's wax, not WD products for long term. Follow the same rules that gun owners follow for storage. NO WD Products!

Just my opnion..
JPG
Platinum Member

Don't tell the bees!

Post by JPG »

doug45601 wrote:Lets see, YOu want to mummify some parts for the future.. How many years ya think you'll be needing? Just put the parts in a plastic bag or shoe box and put them under your bed out of the dampness.

I've got 2 complete headstocks as spares or for parts if needed and they are just closed up in garbage bags stored in my attic. Will someday be discovered long after I'm gone and sold on ebay!

I like to keep my tools nice and clean and rust free also. I've drawers full of spare parts, some years old. IN FACT... My lathe tools are 15 years old and I've never used them.. No rust or pitting on them as of yet?! and no special care to them other then dry storage.

Back when I was in the Navy in AC squadrons, we used to coat just about everything with preventative in an effort to stop pitting and rust to aluminum and steel. Found out this was overkill as is sometimes contributes to the the rust! If you intend to time-capsule your parts then of course coat them with bee's wax, not WD products for long term. Follow the same rules that gun owners follow for storage. NO WD Products!

Just my opnion..
Good Un! Of course the Navy had to contend with salty sea air!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange