Rip fence skew adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Rip fence skew adjustment

Post by HopefulSSer »

Note to self: Back out the rip fence skew adjuster screw after using the sanding disk.

"Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement."
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Rip fence skew adjustment

Post by garys »

One of the repair videos posted here a few years ago suggested that you take that screw out of the fence and leave it out permanently. My screw has been in my spare parts bin since then.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

HopefulSSer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:46 pm Note to self: Back out the rip fence skew adjuster screw after using the sanding disk.

Both are excellent points! I hope all is okay. That has all of the basic ingredients for disastrous results.

Pricier, but the conical sanding disc is a great alternative for the operations where you'd skew the fence with a regular disc. The 520/M7 fence isn't even skew-able in the sense that older fences are. This is a tool that I'd say is under-rated.

- David
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

DLB wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:11 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:46 pm Note to self: Back out the rip fence skew adjuster screw after using the sanding disk.

Both are excellent points! I hope all is okay. That has all of the basic ingredients for disastrous results.

Pricier, but the conical sanding disc is a great alternative for the operations where you'd skew the fence with a regular disc. The 520/M7 fence isn't even skew-able in the sense that older fences are. This is a tool that I'd say is under-rated.

- David
Thanks! Yes everything is fine except I'll never get back that time nor the wood I lost trying to figure out why I was not getting good rip cuts. :-)
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think this is one of those things that we all "do" and learn to never repeat.(like raising to vertical with the headstock lock "loose").
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

or forgetting to lock the Quill before making a rip cut. :o
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

How come all these 'things' involve locks?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I leave the rip fence parallel to the table miter slots. If you want to cut a taper use a tapering jig. Probably safer. When using your table saw function you should always perform the five point safety check. Table tilt lock,carriage lock, table height lock, headstock lock and quill lock. Once you get used to it, it is almost automatic
Bill V