new guy - new / old machine

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ivaada
Silver Member

new guy - new / old machine

Post by ivaada »

oops,, initially posted on the wrong board....starting over
hello,, need advise, and this looks like the place !
my wife bought this machine a few years ago, and we are just now trying to bring it back to life. the main focus, at least for now, is the bandsaw.

we downloaded a "manual", and have worked thru it to clean and align. However we have one "squeeely" brass bushing, (lower), and also the autotrack bearing has a pretty sever wear mark in the center. sooo,, thought i'd order them, only to find that the autotrack in the parts list is (2 each - 514011) bearings, but on our saw,, it is just like the upper and lower ones ( 514007), or at least it looks like that to me ? Needless to say I am confused, and need some guidance, please.
unfortunately the manufacture was unable to help, other than to tell me i needed to order 555074 Bandsaw Backup Bearing Kit , and 556074 Bandsaw Manual.
They were unable to tell me (if) those "parts" would work on this old saw, and unable to provide any history on the model and serial number ?
i am gonna attempt to attach some pictures!

looking forward to the journey!
Attachments
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG (505.21 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
IMG_0195.PNG
IMG_0195.PNG (1005.27 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG (332.1 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG (271.96 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
ivaada
Silver Member

Re: new guy - new / old machine

Post by ivaada »

no clue, why phone 3 and 4 are sideways ?
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

ivaada wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:58 pm oops,, initially posted on the wrong board....starting over
hello,, need advise, and this looks like the place !
my wife bought this machine a few years ago, and we are just now trying to bring it back to life. the main focus, at least for now, is the bandsaw.

we downloaded a "manual", and have worked thru it to clean and align. However we have one "squeeely" brass bushing, (lower), and also the autotrack bearing has a pretty sever wear mark in the center. sooo,, thought i'd order them, only to find that the autotrack in the parts list is (2 each - 514011) bearings, but on our saw,, it is just like the upper and lower ones ( 514007), or at least it looks like that to me ? Needless to say I am confused, and need some guidance, please.
unfortunately the manufacture was unable to help, other than to tell me i needed to order 555074 Bandsaw Backup Bearing Kit , and 556074 Bandsaw Manual.
They were unable to tell me (if) those "parts" would work on this old saw, and unable to provide any history on the model and serial number ?
i am gonna attempt to attach some pictures!

looking forward to the journey!
Welcome to the forum. Your headstock SN appears to map to 1981. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm Someone here can also convert the Bandsaw SN, but it is probably near the same. I've installed that upgrade kit in a much older (~'57) Bandsaw, so I'm confident it will work. The basics of the Bandsaw have changed little. Yours is almost unbelievably clean, I would guess it has low actual use.

Looking at your pics, there is something wrong with the mounting tubes that connect the BS to the Mark. They are either the wrong tubes or installed upside down.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry I posted this on your other post first before seeing that you reposted here. I removed it in the other location.

Your Mark V was made in July of 1981. Your Bandsaw was made in August of 1983. There have been a few changes since the Bandsaw was introduced in 1955. That being said even those early Bandsaws can use the current parts. Sometimes parts can be replaced individually while other times it must be done as an assembly. Not all current parts match original parts for older Bandsaws. Ordering the Bandsaw Backup Roller Retrofit Kit part number 555074 would be the best way to go unless the tires on your bandsaw need replacing too. The auto-track and back up rollers have changed over the years but the parts are interchangeable. I have a 1956 Bandsaw that can use the Bandsaw Backup Roller Retrofit Kit in place of the original rollers. If the tires on your Bandsaw need replacing too than getting the Basic Bandsaw Tune-Up Kit part number 556083 which includes the Bandsaw Backup Roller Bearing Kit and 2 rubber Bandsaw tires plus glue and some savings.

The Manual you show is a newer one that has the Aluminum Table not the Cast Iron Table like yours. They do operate nearly the same but the Aluminum Table has some features available the Cast Iron Table does not. Ordering a Manual from Shopsmith will get you a copy of the Manual you already show above. If you don't have it with the manual, below is a link to the Parts Lists and Drawings. Again there will be some differences between your Bandsaw and the diagrams and parts list.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845541.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I don't think that the autotrack bearing has a worn mark on it. That bearing should be two bearings stacked together and the groove is where the two bearings stack together. The blade should be tensioned and then the bearing bracket can be moved so that the groove is directly behind the spine of the blade. The blade should ride in the groove.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'autotrack' bearings appear to be the early wide single bearing type. They appear skewed, but that may be due to camera angle. When taking pix always use 'normal orientation(do not rotate). The software here ignores positioning 'metadata'.

IIRC the dual version is not oem.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The new auto track bearing assembly uses two bearings unlike the earlier single roller previously used. When adjusted the blade will ride in the split between the bearings on the auto-track guide.

David commented about the Mounting Posts and is correct. They should be going farther into the Bandsaw's mounting holes. If they are the right Mounting Posts for the Bandsaw, they are 6-1/2” long overall and the 4-1/2” length to the offset goes into the Bandsaw while the 2" end goes into the Mark V's mounting holes. There are three lengths of Eccentric Mounting Posts used for the different SPT's. The shorter one is 3-1/2" long overall and the other is 8-7/8" long overall. This does not include the special offset Mounting Posts for the Bandsaw Part Number 555626 at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... gtubes.htm

I have not used these extra offset Mounting Posts for my Bandsaws so if you are considering these you may want comments from others who have them. They are for use by Bandsaw owners that want to be able to tilt up into Drill Press mode while not having to remove their Bandsaw. There is a clearance issue for newer Bandsaws with the aluminum table and fence. Anyone who has the double tilt option on their Mark V or owners of the Mark 7 and 4 have to remove any SPT before tilting their machine so these extra offset mounting posts would offer no advantage over the regular posts and cost a bit more than the regular eccentric mounting posts.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ivaada
Silver Member

Post by ivaada »

thanks for all the info,,, sometimes all i need is a push in the right direction....
i will order the 555074 kit... appreciate that recommendation.
still a bit confused about the mounting brackets....i took another picture,, and will try to get back to the barn to dissemble for better pictures of what i have. maybe i have them up-side-down ?.....and if turned over, that will make the saw more stable ?
also re-took pictures of the 3 bearings....perhaps they will show "other" issues that i need to address ?
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG (286.38 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG (206.49 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG (226.19 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG (263.85 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG (286.38 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
and the last picture is of the blade tensioner,, unsure if it looks right,, and what does that flat head screw do ?
Attachments
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG (279.35 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
ivaada
Silver Member

Post by ivaada »

unbelievable.... there they go again,, all sideways.... i did not take them that way,,, and have no idea what or why they are showing up wrong ?
ivaada
Silver Member

Post by ivaada »

and it seems that the pictures cut off my last comment,,,which was about the blade tensioner...
does it look correct,, and what is purpose of the flatheadscrew?
i have much to learn ,,, on how to use this site !