How a Wixey Was Validated

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jpg40504 wrote:I was not making a serious attempt, but more of an agreement with Dusty that it can be put to use. I would have proceeded iff you desired. I wasn't trying to take it away from anybody!
Interesting that SS couldn't get a close fit to miter slot. I noticed your recommended gauge DOES come in a SS model.:)

Is it being said that the miter slot in the Shopsmith or the miter bar that is being used are any worse than any others. If so, I would take exception. I have wiggled a lot of miter bars to see if I can find one that is without slight movement. I don't find many.

Yes, there are those that have adjustable features that can be used to "take the wiggle out" and yes, I wish that Shopsmith would incorporate that into their miter bar but the wiggle is not that significant. I can get a .003 feeler gauge into the slot along with the miter bar.

In making cuts that require "extreme accuracy" applying a side pressure on the miter works fine. Just apply that pressure consistently in one direction.

One could also make their own miter bars.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:I had the same thought, then I saw all the products that he sells.
That would explain why he is telling me to forget everything I've learned and not listen to the known experts advice.
I'll stick with Nick's and Rick's advice.
I have the dial indicator and it works great.
I'll get a Wixey one of these days too but for now my angle gauge works well enough for my projects.

Okay now I know my instincts are to be trusted! I'm glad I never bothered to register at that site. I read his "why register" spel and I said oh no I'm not registering here and dumped the site. Glad I did now that I find all he was doing was selling his products. I get enough SPAM without posting my E-mail id all over the web.
Thanks to you brave souls that went ahead and registered for letting me know what was in the site. You guys took one for all of us. :eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

As to the discussion between the Wixey and Beall. What I see is Wixey is smart enough to offer theirs discounted from time to time. Through this they are getting them into more people's hands and everyone defends their purchase decisions.

If Beall was smart they would discount theirs to below Wixey's normal sale price of $29 and move theirs into the market place.

Ever watch the Beta/VHS battle back in the 80's? Beta was far superior but VHS was far smarter marketing wise. They discounted their machines so much nearly everyone bought on. Beta was left in the breeze.

Same thing here. Wixey is discounting their gauge putting them into people's hands. Where there is any talk of digital angle gauges everyone immediately mentions Wixey. Beall will be left swinging in the breeze if they aren't careful
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Is it being said that the miter slot in the Shopsmith or the miter bar that is being used are any worse than any others.
Dusty:
In my earlier post which you quoted, I was referring to the miter slot 'slop' in the DIAL SETUP GAUGE referred to by both Ed And yourself.

I totally agree with every thing else you said.

Was in Home Depot today. They have two vial levels which apparently also have the same digital 'innards'. They indicate in degrees, and slope and are able to make 'relative' readings to 0.1*. Short one was about 30$ the 2' one was 60$. Used AAA batteries.

No substitute for wixey or beall, but thought them interesting.!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

This is for the dial gage.

When I am squaring the table to the blade I gently apply gentle side pressure on the dial gage base until it touches the side of the miter slot. I use the same side of the miter slot for all of my readings and it appears to be accurate.
Jim in Tucson