Springs on the Shopsmith Double Bar Clamp

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Springs on the Shopsmith Double Bar Clamp

Post by Lodgepole »

This past weekend I picked up 3 of the old style 24" Shopsmith Double Bar Clamps. I am guessing these date back to the early 1990s. I have 2 questions:

1. Are there only 2 springs for each clamp? Or, should there be 4 springs? I ask this since each side of the metal brackets has a pivoting round bar with a slot in it. There are also hooks on each side of the metal bracket. So, 4 springs would appear to fit.

2. Where can I purchase replacement springs? I have a feeling that even if 4 springs aren't needed I will end up bumping, or dropping the clamp. Then 1 or more springs will go flying to somewhere unknown in my shop.

Also any photos would be greatly appreciated. Especially closeups of both the metal brackets.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Springs on the Shopsmith Double Bar Clamp

Post by wa2crk »

Ace hardware store usually has a good selection of springs. If you can not get a perfect match consider replacing all of them. I don't think that the spring tension is very critical but it may be better to have them all the same tension.
Bill V
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Bill,

Thanks for the idea. I don't have an Ace Hardware. I guess I'll check my local True Value Store!
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

I went to the local True Value and an Ace Hardware about 30 miles up the road. Unfortunately neither of them carry a spring that is even remotely similar to the Shopsmith Double Bar Clamp springs. Again, if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate hearing about them.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

First of all, do the springs do anything except keep the bars conveniently apart while setting them up?

Secondly, did you ask them to look at their catalogs for such a spring? It's not surprising those aren't carried in the standard assortment.

Tertiarily, those are torsion springs and you can make your own. In theory you could, I never tried it.

Finally you can see if any torsion springs from Amazon or other companies will work. It is likely a standard size. The legs are often re-bent to specific shapes for mounting so the video above will be helpful with that.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Thanks for the ideas!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Stand by!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:45 pmStand by!
No need to stand by, it is already there. One of those links you can't see until you open the post in the editor.

Reported
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 19-48-07 (5) Shopsmith Forums - Post a reply.png
Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 19-48-07 (5) Shopsmith Forums - Post a reply.png (53.44 KiB) Viewed 654 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT