Clarification on thread direction for saw arbors please

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jtp
Gold Member

Clarification on thread direction for saw arbors please

Post by jtp »

theres a lot of contradictory info out there as far as thread direction on SS saw arbors, is it reverse/left handed thread for all of these arbors?
Attachments
Some SS saw arbors
Some SS saw arbors
943A9483-E879-49FD-AF87-6DA67A449791.jpeg (120.56 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Clarification on thread direction for saw arbors please

Post by JPG »

The answer is simple. With the nut loose, if you hold the nut and rotate the arbor in the normal direction, does the nut tighten.

So if the nut is on the quill side as in the top pix, the threads need to be left handed. If the nut is on the other side(AWAY FROM THE QUILL) the threads need to be right handed. If a tongued washer is between the nut and the blade, it does not matter.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jtp
Gold Member

Post by jtp »

got it. That does really simplify it thank you JPG. I can’t get these off yet but all the nuts are quill side so LH thread it is

Gonna keep soaking them in pb blaster and take them to my brothers shop tomorrow to get them in a vice

- Tyler
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jtp wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:57 pm got it. That does really simplify it thank you JPG. I can’t get these off yet but all the nuts are quill side so LH thread it is

Gonna keep soaking them in pb blaster and take them to my brothers shop tomorrow to get them in a vice

- Tyler
One arbor in your pix is a 5/8" arbor, those are RH thread. It is on the one that looks like a plywood blade with 180 tooth on the label. (The nut is on the other side, as JPG described.)

- David
jtp
Gold Member

Post by jtp »

Thanks David yes that is how that one turned out. Man they were on there 😂