Sanding Drums Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Sanding Drums Question

Post by db5 »

Before I do something I may regret. I know some of you have dealt with this. Yesterday I bought a bunch of extra long drums and sleeves (stocking label was dot-matrix. Box label appears to be earlier Bighorn. Two had been stored with the drums highly compressed on the sleeves which I cut off. Pictures show ends compressed. I can't install new ones and could just chuck them in the SS and sand the ends down. Is there a better way to restore these to previous shape?
Attachments
SD 1.JPG
SD 1.JPG (35.37 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
SD 2.JPG
SD 2.JPG (36.57 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding Drums Question

Post by beeg »

I coat the drums with talcum powder, so they slip on/off easily. Are the nuts fully loosened?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Are you saying the drums are distorted so the sleeves will not fit on them? Looks like the drums are the type expanded by tightening a nut on the shaft. If loosened an old expanded drum may not return to it's original shape. If they're not too bad you may be able to restore them by wrapping a piece of cardboard around the drum for protection and tightening band clamps on it for a while. Sometimes just a little bit of the drum protrudes from the sleeve and forms a ridge new sleeves can't slide over. If a band clamp won't squeeze it down then sand or file it enough so sleeves will fit.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Ed, you suggestion may work. They were tightened so much the ends are expanded. I'll try the clamp and if that doesn't work just sand off the ends a bit. I also like the suggestion of using talcum powder before putting new ones on. Thanks guys.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Some belt dressing MAY help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I had a couple like that, but not as severe. I put removed the hardware, and put them in hot water (hot tap water not heated on the stove or microwave) for about 20 minutes and then rolled them on the counter under the palm of my had for a few minutes. The looked like new.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I think I would try Chris' idea first. It is the first thought that came to mind when I read your first post. With the rubber sleaves off the posts they may be able to be worked back into shape. If not, move onto Ed's suggestion and shave off the excess keeping the sanding sleaves from going on the rubber sleaves. This is a good reminder not to leave sanding sleaves tightened on Sanding Drums.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:04 pm This is a good reminder not to leave sanding sleaves tightened on Sanding Drums.
I've dealt with the raised ridge before but didn't try the water. I have a couple of drums so old the rubber is no longer flexible and on one of them the paper from the sanding sleeve bonded with the rubber forming a new composite substance of amazing strength and stubbornness. These were just sanding drums that arrived in a Box o' Random Parts. I created the ones with ridges myself though. The part of the rubber sticking out is just maintaining it's original shape but eventually the compressed part has a new shape, it's ductility is limited. Really, the drum should be relieved when you are done sanding, and ideally the sleeve removed but I know I'll never end up taking the sleeve off every time.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

I don't always take the sanding sleeve off either, but I do loosen the rubber sleeve.

As for old rubber sleeves being too hard to use anymore, I have replaced several on the 3" Drum Sander I have gotten with Model 10 I have restored. Fortunately, the rubber sleeve can be purchased as a replacement part under number 503009 Drum Sander Rubber Sleeve for 3" for $8.19 currently. 2 sleeves are used for the 6" Sanding Drum. The material is a bit different in looks and makeup than the original Rubber Sleeve, but an old hard and/or cracking rubber sleeve is worthless for use.

_
original machined - old cast and current cast.jpg
original machined - old cast and current cast.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 918 times
I have a set of the ones shown in the picture on db5's original post but they are in very good shape still. Others like them I have gotten with Shopsmith's I have restored went into a box. Recently went for recycling and unfortunately I never tried to recondition them since I have a good set. It might have been a nice thing to try just in case. I may have to try reconditioning one of the old 3" Rubber Sleeves.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

This is using Ed's 1st suggestion. Since the drums were on a spindle that is threaded through I inserted a rod so as not to compress anything into the threads creating another problem where I couldn't get them off. I'll leave them like this for a few weeks. Chris' idea of hot water might also help. What are your thoughts about putting them in how water while clamped?
Attachments
c1.JPG
c1.JPG (12.25 KiB) Viewed 905 times
c2.JPG
c2.JPG (10.67 KiB) Viewed 905 times