Information needed

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Information needed

Post by chapmanruss »

Looking closer at the picture you provided I see you also got a Bandsaw and Jointer. Nice additions. :) The serial numbers will tell when they were made.

The Bandsaw is an older one having the cast iron table. If needed there are the current PDF Bandsaw Manual and parts diagrams at the links below. It is for the one with the newer aluminum table and there are a couple of other improvements/upgrades it has since the cast iron table Bandsaw was made. Even with the changes made to the Bandsaw the operation is pretty much the same

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845541.pdf

If you need a manual for the Jointer check out the link below for this Forum thread. Everett Davis has restored many Manuals and other documents which can be found under My Google Drive at the top of the page. On it you will find a section on the Jointer with a PDF of the Manual which should be close to your Jointer for parts and function.

viewtopic.php?t=16113

The Mark 2 has the logo/serial number plate missing from the front of the Headstock as indicated by the circle in the picture below. It is likely a later Greenie Mark 2 having the wood Bench Rails as opposed to the earlier metal tubes. Sorry if I seem to go on more about the Mark 2 but there is so much information out there about the Mark 5/V and little about the Mark 2. Your Mark V is a much better tool than your Mark 2 as explained in my previous post on the Mark 2 history. Not to say the Mark 2 cannot do the jobs the Mark V can just that the Mark V does it easier and better. For me the Mark 2 is more of a collectors item on the Shopsmith history.

_
mischiffmakr Mark 2 - circle.jpg
mischiffmakr Mark 2 - circle.jpg (146.98 KiB) Viewed 661 times
I did notice the Mark 2 is assembled incorrectly and would be apparent when trying to put it up into drill press mode. Notice how the Headstock and Table Carriage are oriented in relationship to the bench ends shown in the picture below.

_
Gray Mark 2 St Louis 1.jpg
Gray Mark 2 St Louis 1.jpg (114.61 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
mischiffmakr
Bronze Member

Post by mischiffmakr »

Gentlemen,

i would like to say a very big thank you for all your information and help so far. I look forward to day full of wood chips and sawdust while I attempt to make something out of nothing, as they say. My extent of “woodworking“ is the work bench i made out of scrap lumber salvaged from a workbench that was previously in the V nose of an enclosed trailer. It miraculously is at least sturdy and level. 🤣 My uncle was the previous owner of both machines. He first bout the Mark 2 and upon researching on trying to find attachments he found the Mark V on eBay. He placed a bid of $475 with out looking where it was located. A few days later he reread the post and discovered it was 19 hours, one way, away from where we lived. After making a 38 straight round trip, we brought it home. (I told him he was no longer allowed to shop on eBay 🤣). He never plugged either one in and they both sat in one of his buildings for the past 2-3 years. He was looking to make room in the building and I bought them both for $400 and so the adventure begins.
Attachments
FE14058E-F1D8-42A4-AABF-483A7F4A8698.jpeg
FE14058E-F1D8-42A4-AABF-483A7F4A8698.jpeg (542.77 KiB) Viewed 621 times
mischiffmakr
Bronze Member

Post by mischiffmakr »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:10 pm Looking closer at the picture you provided I see you also got a Bandsaw and Jointer. Nice additions. :) The serial numbers will tell when they were made.

The Bandsaw is an older one having the cast iron table. If needed there are the current PDF Bandsaw Manual and parts diagrams at the links below. It is for the one with the newer aluminum table and there are a couple of other improvements/upgrades it has since the cast iron table Bandsaw was made. Even with the changes made to the Bandsaw the operation is pretty much the same

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845541.pdf

If you need a manual for the Jointer check out the link below for this Forum thread. Everett Davis has restored many Manuals and other documents which can be found under My Google Drive at the top of the page. On it you will find a section on the Jointer with a PDF of the Manual which should be close to your Jointer for parts and function.

viewtopic.php?t=16113

The Mark 2 has the logo/serial number plate missing from the front of the Headstock as indicated by the circle in the picture below. It is likely a later Greenie Mark 2 having the wood Bench Rails as opposed to the earlier metal tubes. Sorry if I seem to go on more about the Mark 2 but there is so much information out there about the Mark 5/V and little about the Mark 2. Your Mark V is a much better tool than your Mark 2 as explained in my previous post on the Mark 2 history. Not to say the Mark 2 cannot do the jobs the Mark V can just that the Mark V does it easier and better. For me the Mark 2 is more of a collectors item on the Shopsmith history.

_
mischiffmakr Mark 2 - circle.jpg
I did notice the Mark 2 is assembled incorrectly and would be apparent when trying to put it up into drill press mode. Notice how the Headstock and Table Carriage are oriented in relationship to the bench ends shown in the picture below.

_
Gray Mark 2 St Louis 1.jpg
Thank you for the information. I only have the Disk Sander for the Mark 2 and that will most likely be the only thing I use it for if at all. Well truth be told I did fire it up and test it with a scrap piece of 3/8 ply and it worked great.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Once you get the Mark 2 properly assembled it can serve as a good drill press. An alternative would be to permanently wall mount it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Headstock on the Mark 2 should be removed from the side it is on and put back on the way tubes from the other end. That will have the Headstock and table fronts both on the same side and in the correct position relative to the bench. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to release the tilt end by loosening the screw lock lever which should be on the right end of the Mark 2 as shown in your picture, raise the end slightly then remove the end from the way tubes, slide off the carriage, slide off the headstock, reinstall the carriage in the same orientation, turn around the headstock and put it back on the way tubes, put the end back on the way tubes and lock the end back on the headrest with the screw lock lever.

If you like JPG's suggestion of wall mounting it as a dedicated Drill Press the wood bench rails will help for mounting it to the wall.

Even though you only have the Sanding Disk with the Mark 2 keep in mind it has the same 5/8" reverse tapered Spindle end the Mark V has and can use the same spindle mounted accessories. It can even be used to power your Bandsaw and Jointer. The Jointer would require longer posts to power it on the Mark 2 which only has the upper SPT hub shaft.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would not use the wood bench rails, but would mount the end castings directly to horizontal boards on the wall.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

How was the unusual extension table meant to be used? Was the shape meant for a special purpose, or just to stiffen the material in a lightweight version of an extension table?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The M2 extension table has a vertical bend that performs the rip fence function since the rip fence only attaches to the main table. It also has another bend that provides a surface for the tail stock "socket".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mischiffmakr
Bronze Member

Post by mischiffmakr »

I guess I will need to really need to start looking at the manuals while I am out on tour because right now i am as lost as a 1980’s Easter egg. I did some machine shop work in the Navy when I had to make my own tools for working on optical systems; periscopes, binoculars, alidades, sextants and compasses, but that was metal. We had to make our own cutting tools for the lathe, but we also used milling machines, drill presses, bandsaws and such. Later in my career we made wooden plaques in the shape of Georgia for people leaving the shop and I learned how to operate a router. This is the extent of my knowledge to date other than the odd project with my uncle.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

If you check out the Mark 2 Manual on Everett's Google Drive from his thread in the Maintenance and Repair section under Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More page 7 of the Manual shows the use of the Extension Table as both a support and a fence. That Mark 2 Manual is the later one with the wood bench rails but other than the metal bench tubes used on earlier Mark 2's everything else is the same.

mischiffmakr,

I would suggest you concentrate on learning the Mark V first. Get to know it, set it up correctly, use it, then study the Mark 2. This may be less confusing than trying to "get to know" both tools at the same time. There are similarities between the two since they both do the same 5 basic functions but there are a lot of differences in how they work. This could avoid trying to remember which Mark does something this way or that way.
Russ

Mark V 520