Information needed

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mischiffmakr
Bronze Member

Information needed

Post by mischiffmakr »

I’ve just acquired 2 shopsmiths, 1 a Mark 2 and the other I believe to be an older Mark 5. I have some attachments for the Mark 5; table saw, joiner, band saw and tailstock for lathe plus a box of stuff I have yet to go through. The Mark 2 has the 12” disc sander and that is about it. I’m trying to find manuals, guidance and whatever else I can to start using them both.

Thank you in advance for any help.
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Information needed

Post by br549 »

Welcome to the forum. You probably will not find much info directly from Shopsmith on the Mark 2 and older Mark 5. At the top of the Maintenance and Repair Forum, there are 4 threads called "stickies" because they always stay near the top. Each of them provide info valuable to anyone wanting to learn more about their Shopsmith. One thread in particular (viewtopic.php?t=16113) by Everett Davis is loaded with info, much of it stored on his "My Google Drive". Good luck in your learning adventure, and please be sure to post pictures and ask any questions you may have.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

mischiffmakr wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:28 pm I’ve just acquired 2 shopsmiths, 1 a Mark 2 and the other I believe to be an older Mark 5. I have some attachments for the Mark 5; table saw, joiner, band saw and tailstock for lathe plus a box of stuff I have yet to go through. The Mark 2 has the 12” disc sander and that is about it. I’m trying to find manuals, guidance and whatever else I can to start using them both.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Greetings,

For a Mark 2 manual,
Click the link below
- click the red "My Google Drive" in the first post,
- click the folder "Mark 2"

Re the Mark 5, older is a relative term. ;)
While you are in "My Google Drive" click on the folder 1954+ Mark5".
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

mischiffmakr,

Below is a picture of an early Mark 5 Greenie for reference. Later Mark 5/V's will look similar but may be a different color.

_
IMG_0220cr.jpg
IMG_0220cr.jpg (133.73 KiB) Viewed 678 times
For your Mark 5 it may help to first identify when it was made. The serial number will tell when it was made but can be a bit deceiving. Early serial numbers started around 260000 when the Mark 5 was introduced in 1954. The first Mak 5's were painted green and silver. This was followed by the gold and copper painted Mark 5. Finally, the color changed to gray before the Mark 5 was discontinued in the mid 1960's. In 1973 the Mark 5 was back into production by the newly formed Shopsmith Inc. They started the serial numbers at SS 1001 with that SS prefix. In December of 1987 the serial numbers were replaced by date codes. So, the serial number with who made it as shown on the Vent/Serial Number plate will give us when it was made. The Vent/Serial Number Plate also has the motor size. This is important since there have been many changes made to the Mark 5/V over the years. Yours may or may not have been upgraded and upgrades made through the years can be added to older Shopsmith's. Now the good news, the basic operation and maintenance of the Mark 5/V with the original table/fence system later known as the 500 remained the same through the years. To get started the link below is a PDF of the Summary Owner's Manual for the Mark V 500 from here on the Shopsmith website. It includes more information than found in the early Mark 5 Manuals. It is still helpful to have a Manual from when your Mark 5 was made especially the parts list and diagrams.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

As for the Mark 2 they were made from 1958 to 1960. I currently own two Mark 2 I am restoring and like others here can help with questions you may have. Below is information I know about the Mark 2 that I have gathered.
Introduced in December of 1957 by Magna Power Tool Corporation. This unit was made at Montgomery Ward’s request and sold primarily by them. It was not made to the same quality standards as the Mark 5 and was a lower cost alternative while still providing the same five functions. It has an 8” saw blade capacity instead of the 9” saw blade of the Mark 5 at the time. The Mark 2 uses a ½ HP or optional ¾ HP motor while the Mark 5 had a ¾ HP motor that later changed to a 1-1/8 HP motor. It uses two 2-step pulleys (a 2”/3” and a 3”/4”) to change the 7 speeds much like the Model 10E and 10ER instead of the variable speed of the Mark 5. The Way Tubes are shorter at 48” long. An interesting feature of the Mark 2 is the Headrest which is a pin-able version of the Base and Arm which functions much like the newer Mark 7 Double Tilt feature. It has lower quality locks to hold the headstock, carriage, etc. in place. They work like the locks found on the Model 10’s but are made of lower quality materials and finish. It has an extra saw blade slot on the main table (a feature added to the Mark 5 in the 1960’s and 1970’s). Some Mark 2’s have round metal bench tubes while others have rounded top rails made out of wood to connect the bench ends and legs together. It could be purchased with or without the bench. Instructions included making your own wood bench. The Miter looks similar but is different than the Mark 5’s as it has no angle stops and a shorter bar without the lock to hold it in place in the table slot. It has a narrow step shape extension table that creates its own fence and serves as the tailstock with a small block attachment. There are very few individual parts that are interchangeable with the Mark 5. The Mark 5 Headstock will fit on the Mark 2 frame. Even the table system can be changed to the Mark V or 7’s. The Mark 2 can also hold and power Add-a-tools later known as Special Purpose Tools made for the Mark 5/V’s and Mark VII/7’s. It has only one hub for powering SPT’s so different length posts may be needed for some SPT’s. It started out with the “Greenie” colors and later changed to gray.

At the time of its introduction the Mark 2 was priced at $179.90 (less bench and motor) compared to the Mark 5 at $329.50. The Bench legs with tubes cost $19.95 and the ½ HP motor was $34.95 making the total for a Mark 2 to be comparably equipped to the Mark 5 at $234.80 and still considerably less than the Mark 5.

The Mark 2 works more like it’s a Model 10 trying to look more like a Mark 5.

At some point it was sold with a Wards Powr-Kraft label replacing the Shopsmith logo/serial number plate.
As for Manuals I know of these two editions
Copyright 1958 by Magna Power Tool Corporation of Menlo Park CA EM 9167-A 1:58
Copyright 1959 by Yuba Power Products Inc. of Cincinnati OH Bulletin No. 9183 5:59

The Mark 2 came out shortly before Magna was bought by Yuba. You can get a Mark 2 Reference Packet item number 877084 from Shopsmith or get a PDF of a Mark 2 Manual free from Everett's Google Drive.

As has already been suggested pictures will help describe anything you have questions about.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
mischiffmakr
Bronze Member

Post by mischiffmakr »

These are them. The green one in the foreground is definitely a Mark 2 not sure what exactly the gray one is. I have pictures of them individually but the size is too large to post here. I cannot find a data plate on either one to find date of mfg nor serial numbers. I’m looking forward to working with these as time permits. i am an OTR driver and right now is tour season so basically on the road 3 months at a time.
Attachments
3F8EFE18-B66C-4652-855E-68B3DE37FC0B.jpeg
3F8EFE18-B66C-4652-855E-68B3DE37FC0B.jpeg (619.46 KiB) Viewed 659 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The gray one is a Model V or 500 made sometime after 1963. Based on condition I'd say it was made after 1972 but the Mark 2 very good for it's age, at least 62 years old, so it could be a well cared for pre-1972 Mark V. Look for a nameplate on the left side of the headstock. It will have an upper and lower spindle, the nameplate has a hole in it and is mounted over the lower spindle. The serial number will be imprinted at the bottom.

The serial number table here can help you narrow down the date of manufacture.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Assuming the table height handle is original, the Mark 5 is post 1972.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mischiffmakr
Bronze Member

Post by mischiffmakr »

The green one has Mark 2 on the front of the headstock. This is the serial number on the gray one. It does have SS in front of the number. I have never owned any equipment like this before so to say I am a green thumb would be an understatement. Not sure when the last time either machine was actually operated. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated as well as any maintenance steps. I’m looking to get the Mark v manual asap.
Attachments
Data plate
Data plate
AE520A50-3AB6-4A8E-AA80-EC4548DDA0FD.jpeg (413.82 KiB) Viewed 607 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Start with posts at the top of Maintenance & Repair forum.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

mischiffmakr,

By the serial number your Mark V was made in January 1982 by Shopsmith Inc. The Summary Manual I provided the link to previously will get you started for the Mark V. To begin with I would recommend going through the Maintenance starting on page 53 followed by the Alignment and Adjustments starting on page 15. In the Summary Manual not all the pages for the complete Manual are included so page 53 is actually the thirty ninth page and page 15 is actually the tenth page. Some of the pictures and diagrams use the Model 510/505 Table/Fence system in this manual so don't worry if your Mark V doesn't look like some of the ones shown in the manual.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.